Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Master Key Blanks $7.95 shipped to your door - USA, Back in stock
tweet
post May 9 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,579
Region Association: South East States

These are not Porsche OEM but look like the Porsche originals and are European (Italian) made, with the black rubber head and mild nickel plated steel. This is a master key blank. It is the key that will operate your ignition and all of your other locks, as well.

Attached Image

$7.95 each shipped to your door (USA).

Will ship internationally at additional cost.

Paypal TYPE4PLUS@gmail.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 17 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(tweet @ May 9 2013, 06:58 PM) *

Hello Everyone,
I'm going to be ordering key blanks for myself; master and valet. They are not Porsche OEM but look like the Porsche and are European made with the black rubber head.
$7 each shipped (CONUS). I will order extra if members would like some for themselves.
thanks,
dan

Master and valet key blanks set to arrive on the 20th. Basically you can get three blanks shipped to your door for less than the price of one Porsche blank.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post May 18 2013, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

PM Sent
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 21 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(tweet @ May 9 2013, 06:58 PM) *

These are not Porsche OEM but look like the Porsche originals and are European made with the black rubber head and steel.
$7 each shipped (CONUS).

Key blanks are in, and first batch is shipping today to members that have pre-paid.
+Quote Post
QROtarga
post May 23 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,539
Region Association: None

are these made of steel or of brass? If brass, I would be interested in two or three...
It happens that my "key keeper" told me that the steel versions will damage on the long run the internal lock parts.
+Quote Post
QROtarga
post May 23 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,539
Region Association: None

sorry for not reading the details, later I saw they are made of steel...
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 23 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(QROtarga @ May 23 2013, 11:38 PM) *

are these made of steel or of brass? If brass, I would be interested in two or three...
It happens that my "key keeper" told me that the steel versions will damage on the long run the internal lock parts.

As far as I know, they are steel, like many of the American made keys, that are not the cheap kind of key blanks. As far as "damaging" , I don't know what to tell you. The maker of these keys, is an OEM supplier for different makes and models in Europe. It is a well known brand and they make a lot of keys, for many different makes and models. They are well known. I'm using them for my own car. A locksmith made a key once for my 914, it was not brass, it was not steel. It was garbage and bent after only a few turns of the ignition. Too hard, too soft, it's up to the individual's judgement. Have you priced a key at Porsche lately? The cost is outrageous.
+Quote Post
Black22
post May 24 2013, 12:42 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm a locksmith. Steel keys will damage the tumblers in our lock cylinders as well as the key cutters that locksmiths use. There are steel keys out there, but for the most part keys are made of brass (sometimes nickle plated) so that the key will wear down and the internals of the cylinder will last longer.

If these key blanks are indeed steel, please inform the lock service that you have your keys made at. They, like myself, will use a special cutter or refuse to cut them. One steel key cut on my machines will trash a $100 cutting wheel.
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 24 2013, 06:28 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Black22 @ May 24 2013, 02:42 AM) *

I'm a locksmith. Steel keys will damage the tumblers in our lock cylinders as well as the key cutters that locksmiths use. There are steel keys out there, but for the most part keys are made of brass (sometimes nickle plated) so that the key will wear down and the internals of the cylinder will last longer.

If these key blanks are indeed steel, please inform the lock service that you have your keys made at. They, like myself, will use a special cutter or refuse to cut them. One steel key cut on my machines will trash a $100 cutting wheel.

I will look into this further.
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 24 2013, 08:06 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Black22 @ May 24 2013, 02:42 AM) *

Hello Mike,
Do you know what material Porsche keys are made from?
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 24 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #11

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just checked my original key (from 1972)--it looks like plated brass (with nearly all of the plating worn off) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Steve A-
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 24 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(anderssj @ May 24 2013, 09:02 PM) *

I just checked my original key (from 1972)--it looks like plated brass (with nearly all of the plating worn off) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Steve A-

The originals are brass, I was asking about currently made keys. I've been told by two different locksmiths that European keys are steel (including Porsche and VW) and American keys are brass. I wanted to know what Mike's opinion is, to see if he concurs on this matter. I am still looking into this issue with the supplier. It seems to be that even American auto manufacturers are now considering steel keys as well. They called me back to say that they have contacted the factory overseas and it will be a few days to get an answer.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 24 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #13

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(tweet @ May 24 2013, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(anderssj @ May 24 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Steve A-

The originals are brass, I was asking about currently made keys. I've been told by two different locksmiths that European keys are steel (including Porsche and VW) and American keys are brass. I wanted to know what Mike's opinion is, to see if he concurs on this matter. I am still looking into this issue with the supplier. It seems to be that even American auto manufacturers are now considering steel keys as well. They called me back to say that they have contacted the factory overseas and it will be a few days to get an answer.

Sorry about that--I thought you were asking about the original keys.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Black22
post May 25 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #14

Not knowing the manufacturer, I can't say. I believe we use a PO5 key blank, but that is an ilco key number. The ilco key blank is nickle plated brass. I have newer Porsche blanks that are not brass, but not steel. A magnet has no effect on them. I'm going to have to say they are aluminum, but I'm not a metalurgist.

The reason for using brass is that it is soft and will wear instead of the tumblers. The theory is that it's easier to make a new key than replace a lock cylinder. Steel keys would wear out the tumblers at an accelerated rate.

Aluminum isn't great for a locksmiths key cutters, but a far sight easier on the cutting wheel than steel. I'd cut aluminum, not a chance for steel.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post May 29 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I got my key from Dan and went to my local hardware store to get it cut. No problem, it works! And the best part, my hardware store would not take any money for cutting it! Only in small town America! Thank you so much Dan for providing us a key source! Now I have spare! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 29 2013, 07:20 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 29 2013, 08:51 AM) *

I got my key from Dan and went to my local hardware store to get it cut. No problem, it works! And the best part, my hardware store would not take any money for cutting it! Only in small town America! Thank you so much Dan for providing us a key source! Now I have spare! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

No, thank you! I appreciate the support. I like the key fob, it's purty.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post May 29 2013, 07:34 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tweet @ May 29 2013, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ May 29 2013, 08:51 AM) *

No, thank you! I appreciate the support. I like the key fob, it's purty.

The key fob is over 35 years old! Found it in a drawer last week!
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 31 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #18

Update:
I did some further research, and here are the results. I acquired a set of OEM Porsche keys from a more modern Porsche and the keys are steel. Metallurgy aside, it's a basic magnet test; steel sticks to magnets. So, the two locksmiths I spoke to were correct, modern Porsche keys are made from steel, just like the blanks I am offering for sale at a drastically reduced cost. The bottom picture is of some more duplicates I've had cut for myself.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Black22
post May 31 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #19

OEM keys can be steel, but did you try the magnet test on your blanks? I bet they are not steel.

EDIT: Just read "just like my blanks".
+Quote Post
tweet
post May 31 2013, 10:31 PM
Post #20

I don't understand your point. If they are not steel, then there shouldn't be an issue with cutting them, correct? If they are steel and Porsche OEM are steel, then there is no issue here either. The only difference then is $7.00 shipped for a key blank that is affordable for members, versus going to a Porsche dealer, waiting in the parts department to be helped, and paying $83 plus tax to get a master key cut, which is what they wanted to charge me. That is why I decided to buy my own and offer it to the members. So they could get a good quality key, like a Porsche key without the Porsche price.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:34 PM