Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Significance of a -6 VIN for resale on a 3.2, And another rustoration question
iiibdsiil
post Nov 26 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Needs Door Locks

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,362

Okay, I was looking at my 914 with the 3.2 in it last night, and was thinking "God, I wanna strip the whole thing and put it on a rotissery, and make it like brand new." I love my car so much, and I know at some point in time, it will be up for sale, although I don't see it for at least 10 years.

Now, would I be better off buying a -6 chasis, and doing a rustoration on that instead of my -4 chasis? Would it be worth the extra money to have it? I am not sure because of the fact there will be a 3.2 in it, and I would kinda feel bad hacking away a -6 to make the 3.2 work right, i.e. front mount oil cooler, A/C, flares, cage, etc. But, if the resale value will help it any.... I know people hack them apart all the time because they need the VIN for the race cars, which pisses me off. But, for a car that I will hopefully never want/have to sell, I am thinking that maybe it is the way to go. I might also want to weld in a roof.

What would a bare bones -6 roller cost me? If I can find one within like 500 miles, I can pick it up. I already have the 911 front suspension and all that mess, although it would be nice to have something to put on my -4 so I could sell it at some point with like a 2.0 in it.

How many hours do you think I would have in a rustoration? I don't want to buy anything that is structurally screwed up, I don't want the headaches with making sure it will track straight and what not. I was looking at my car and it doesn't look like there is a whole helluva lot to it, so I couldn't imagine stripping the thing down to nothing would be all that time consuming.

Whichever route I go, I will also be updating the car wiring wise, laying sound deadening, and installing power windows, power door locks, etc. I want to have a 1970/71 car, that is basically an 04/05. I know this isn't 100% practical, and I am not looking to spend a million bucks, but you understand what I am going for. When I have the car painted, the whole thing will be painted, regardless of what will be covered up. I want you to be able to peel back the dynamat, and it be the same color as the rest of the car. If I am going to do it, I want it done right.

Yeah, it's a lot of money to invest in a car that won't even be original, but to me, if i drive it for 10 years, and am happy with it, then who cares? Yeah, when I sell it, I might only get 50% of what I put into it, but you can't put a price on jumping in a car that you are happy with every day.

Any thoughts or ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 06:28 AM