Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No power to fuel pump, seems to be a common problem around here
warrenoliver
post Apr 1 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,199
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(revhi109 @ Mar 30 2015, 10:12 AM) *

I am also having issues with my fuel pump not coming on. I can apply power to the 87 pin of the fuel pump relay and it turns on. I've concluded that the ECU is not triggering the fuel pump relay. I think its a bad wiring harness to ECU connection. Is there a solvent I could dip the connector in to clean off some possible corrosion? Coca-Cola?

Revhi,

Read post #37 of this thread. You will see that I got mine to work temporarily by using a thin jumper wire on the relay. The ultimate fix was a new relay board. I found a loose connection on my old relay board.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post May 17 2015, 05:23 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom @ May 26 2013, 01:24 PM) *

Warren,
I agree, you are getting very close to the problem here. Actually read the whole post first and try cleaning up the fuseholder to trace rivet area. Sometimes just cleaning and moving this area can regain good contact.
Here is the next test I would do to confirm that pin #30 of the fuel pump relay socket has a connectivity issue. Remove the relay itself and wrap a small wire around the #30 pin, reinsert the relay back into the socket with the small wire sticking out, ( a small paper clip could be used also or some small solid conductor wire), now try the key on - pump should run for 1.5 sec. It didn't before and expect it still won't. Now hook up a jumper from the rear fuse to the wire around the #30 pin, pump should cone on for the 1.5 second. If it does, then you have a connectivity issue with pin #30 to the trace that comes from the fuse. I seem to remember that you have/had an issue with the heater fan/blower also? It could be as simple as the fuse holder to trace is not getting good contact. When I had mine out years ago, I carefully wire brushed each fuse holder and lightly soldered them to the rivet head. I had no more issues after that.
Tom

Hey guys, This post save me a bunch of time. I had the same problem- car restarted then died on Friday morning at the Staples store parking lot. I got it flatbedded back to the house, then came in to research the symptoms, and found this thread. I got to this part, and tried the small wire test- the pump ran for 1.5 seconds, then the car started, and ran with no problem!!! I ended up soldering a wire to one end of the fuse, and the other end to the pin on the relay. Installed them both and the car's running fine. Since this wire just parallels the trace under the relay board, I don't see any reason I can't leave it in place for the season, and then remove/rebuild the relay board as my next winter's project.

Thanks for the writeup!

Jim

+Quote Post
flylarry
post May 17 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,170

If the relay works and a jumper between the fuse and pin #13 makes the pump work, you have corrosion in the runs under the tar under the relay board. You can put an ohm meter on #87 fuel pump socket and pin #13 on the 14 pin plug to verify.

Check this, pretty sure this was a repair for the fuel pump problem...Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:58 AM