Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Rebuild, Installing Accessories
d7n7master
post Nov 28 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Gary#

Group: Members
Member No.: 421

H All,
Ready to install the accessories on my rebuilt longblock. And I'm wondering, is there a torque spec that I should follow - determined by fastener size??? Like M6=X inch pounds / foot pounds, M8=, etc?
Or are there exceptions to the rule...??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Like say, ohhh - the oil cooler fastener torque??? I just bought a new torque wench - I mean wrench & I wanna use it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
And, of course - then there's to loctite or not to loctite??? That's another question. What to loctite... I've got a new bottle of "red" & I'm not afraid to use it!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Any other exceptions / tips / stuff I should be aware of???
BTW - I hate oil leaks!
Thanks, Gary
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Nov 29 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #2

Gary#

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
Thanks, Gary
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 29 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have found that if you dont put oil in it, it doesnt leak at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

On another note, When you refer to accessories, you mean like fan shroud and stuff? I usually just put it together and tighten it up till I think the bolt is about to break off and then leave it. I check everything after about 100, then 500 miles to make sure everything is still tight. I never had a problem.
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Nov 29 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #4

Gary#

Now there's a thought... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
But seriously folks - I'm taking my time, using my torque wrench, checkin' it twice.
I'm mostly concerned with the oil cooler fastener torque. I haven't found a specific torque call-out in the book. I don't want to over-torque & possibly crack the cooler.
Help me!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
Deano
post Nov 29 2004, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,942

I looked in my books and found nothing. Since you are tightening into the aluminum case, I would tighten them about the same as other bolts going into aluminum. 14-21 ft/lbs.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 11:26 PM