Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Foggy Temp Gauge, Only gauge the fogs!
orthobiz
post Jun 1 2013, 09:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My 1974 1.8 with center gauges has a perennially foggy temperature gauge. Sometimes the fogging is worse than other times but never goes away. I have read this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry358798

and am reluctant to throw it in the oven. Aren't the lenses plastic?

Anyway, it is currently sitting in a plastic bag with rice inside another bag with Damp Rid but no improvement yet.

The thought of drilling a hole in the back to equalize the inside/outside moisture is interesting but I would worry about damaging something inside the gauge.

The fogging has been there since I have owned the car and I'm wondering if it would ever clear up without removing the lens and cleaning it. I am not anxious to unroll the edge; I have done that on larger gauges like the speedometer before, but the small edge scares me a bit.

Anyone else have experience in this? Thanks,

Paul

PS This is a clean gauge but a cell phone picture with a bright LED light is merciless!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-7438-1370142754.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.staticflickr.com-7438-1370142755.2.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Jun 1 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

My voltmeter fogs...Hmmmm..
I also want a solution! (guilty of having tried nothing yet)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 2 2013, 06:36 AM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I would think that an oven at 100 degrees would do it.
Long and slow...

Of, put it outside in the sunshine.

Rich
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 2 2013, 07:58 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Take a small #1 flat blade screw driver and work your way around the ring and remove it. Lens is glass so be careful. Clean the lens and re-crimp the ring by gently pushing the edges back down with a larger blade screwdriver. You can tape the glass and the body and spray the the ring.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 2 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 2 2013, 09:58 AM) *

Take a small #1 flat blade screw driver and work your way around the ring and remove it. Lens is glass so be careful. Clean the lens and re-crimp the ring by gently pushing the edges back down with a larger blade screwdriver. You can tape the glass and the body and spray the the ring.

I have done this years ago, I am too timid for fear of messing it up just before the June 24 concours. So if I wipe off the glass, won't it fog up again?

But as a longer term question, the glass has moisture on it, I don't have any good reason why that should be, and especially in only one gauge. I sprayed some air into the light bulb hole and the lens improved temporarily but "bounced back" after I was done, back to its foggy state.

Paul
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:11 PM