Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foggy Temp Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
My 1974 1.8 with center gauges has a perennially foggy temperature gauge. Sometimes the fogging is worse than other times but never goes away. I have read this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry358798

and am reluctant to throw it in the oven. Aren't the lenses plastic?

Anyway, it is currently sitting in a plastic bag with rice inside another bag with Damp Rid but no improvement yet.

The thought of drilling a hole in the back to equalize the inside/outside moisture is interesting but I would worry about damaging something inside the gauge.

The fogging has been there since I have owned the car and I'm wondering if it would ever clear up without removing the lens and cleaning it. I am not anxious to unroll the edge; I have done that on larger gauges like the speedometer before, but the small edge scares me a bit.

Anyone else have experience in this? Thanks,

Paul

PS This is a clean gauge but a cell phone picture with a bright LED light is merciless!

IPB Image
IPB Image
speed metal army
My voltmeter fogs...Hmmmm..
I also want a solution! (guilty of having tried nothing yet)
r_towle
I would think that an oven at 100 degrees would do it.
Long and slow...

Of, put it outside in the sunshine.

Rich
914Sixer
Take a small #1 flat blade screw driver and work your way around the ring and remove it. Lens is glass so be careful. Clean the lens and re-crimp the ring by gently pushing the edges back down with a larger blade screwdriver. You can tape the glass and the body and spray the the ring.
orthobiz
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 2 2013, 09:58 AM) *

Take a small #1 flat blade screw driver and work your way around the ring and remove it. Lens is glass so be careful. Clean the lens and re-crimp the ring by gently pushing the edges back down with a larger blade screwdriver. You can tape the glass and the body and spray the the ring.

I have done this years ago, I am too timid for fear of messing it up just before the June 24 concours. So if I wipe off the glass, won't it fog up again?

But as a longer term question, the glass has moisture on it, I don't have any good reason why that should be, and especially in only one gauge. I sprayed some air into the light bulb hole and the lens improved temporarily but "bounced back" after I was done, back to its foggy state.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.