Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emergency brake cable attachment at lever
saigon71
post Jun 4 2013, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It's been so long since I pulled this apart I can remember which side of the cable attachment bracket (the one that the cables run that run to the wheels attach to) should have the longer end of the bracket...anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Jun 4 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

I did this last week, but I can't clearly understand your question. Please elaborate
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 4 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

The right rear cable (the longer one) goes to the left side of the bracket in your picture. Is this what you meant?
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jun 4 2013, 08:51 PM
Post #4

I am referring to the bracket with hooks that is held on with a clevis pin to the cable attached to the e-brake lever. One side of the bracket is longer than the other (measured from the clevis pin). Which e-brake cable (pass or driver side) should be put on the long side of the "hooked bracket?"

Thanks again,

Bob
+Quote Post
914itis
post Jun 4 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

I think you have to flip it the opposite direction as shown the picture .
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Jun 4 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,838

Never noticed there was a difference sides of the equalizer.

This is addressed in the Haynes manual, pg 116, para 18. "The longer cable is connected to the shorter side of the equalizer, and vice versa".

Keep learning new things about these cars.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 4 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #7

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) I'm getting ready to do the same thing. If you update your progress and any tips you find, it will be appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 4 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Huh... I never realized it was offset either. I'll have to check mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That was a good question, thanks!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 5 2013, 08:10 AM
Post #9

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It (the cable from the lever) should probably be flipped but I doubt it makes any difference. Here's the steps you should take. Make sure the handle is off the post on the longitudinal otherwise this can be very difficult. Just finished this last step on my car last night:

1. Attach that spring to the firewall. The long straight tab on the spring goes into a hole on the firewall (not in the hole on the tab welded to the firewall, that is for a screw for the cover). The hole goes left to right, directly under the firewall tab and is between the two cables.

2. Attach the cables to the yoke respectively.

3. Assuming the cable is attached to the loose (not mounted yet) handbrake lever... pull the handbrake lever at attach to the post on the longitudinal. Make sure the bushing is clean and lubricated.

4. Attach the M8 fastener to the ratchet claw and the longitudinal.

If you do not do it this way, you will have about 1/4" of distance between the spring and that bracket you show in your first post. With the long tab going in the firewall from left to right, the opening on the other end of the spring will be facing up. It will be very difficult to not only pull the spring to the hole "but" attach it once you get it there.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 5 2013, 08:33 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 5 2013, 07:10 AM) *

It (the cable from the lever) should probably be flipped but I doubt it makes any difference. Here's the steps you should take. Make sure the handle is off the post on the longitudinal otherwise this can be very difficult. Just finished this last step on my car last night:

1. Attach that spring to the firewall. The long straight tab on the spring goes into a hole on the firewall (not in the hole on the tab welded to the firewall, that is for a screw for the cover). The hole goes left to right, directly under the firewall tab and is between the two cables.

2. Attach the cables to the yoke respectively.

3. Assuming the cable is attached to the loose (not mounted yet) handbrake lever... pull the handbrake lever at attach to the post on the longitudinal. Make sure the bushing is clean and lubricated.

4. Attach the M8 fastener to the ratchet claw and the longitudinal.

If you do not do it this way, you will have about 1/4" of distance between the spring and that bracket you show in your first post. With the long tab going in the firewall from left to right, the opening on the other end of the spring will be facing up. It will be very difficult to not only pull the spring to the hole "but" attach it once you get it there.

Well actually, the double hook plate is stamped "oben", German for "top" or "up"
I'd guess that means "this side up" No ?

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 5 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #11

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yeah Rory, the yoke is fine, I was referring to the spring tab on the cable that get's held in by a pin. It's supposed to be mounted on top of the yoke but, it's underneath. That's the part I doubt makes a difference. I didn't see the markings in the pic either. Good eye.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 5 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 5 2013, 10:17 AM) *

Yeah Rory, the yoke is fine, I was referring to the spring tab on the cable that get's held in by a pin. It's supposed to be mounted on top of the yoke but, it's underneath. That's the part I doubt makes a difference. I didn't see the markings in the pic either. Good eye.

My comment about the word "oben" is not from looking at the picture.
The stamp in the picture is not legible. I know it from curiosity and experience.
Early cars did not have the helper spring to lower the Ebrake handle..... the infamous "broken " handle. Part of the later handle upgrade is that spring to insure release of the Ebrake and to pull the handle down.
Not sure that it makes a difference if the tab at the clevis is above or below.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jun 6 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Got it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thanks for all the responses. I followed Mr. Shea's instructions. I just installed new cables, so I had to back the adjustment all the way down so it was easier to pull the lever on to the pivot point. Adjusted the parking brake according to the Haynes manual:

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 02:10 AM