Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency brake cable attachment at lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
It's been so long since I pulled this apart I can remember which side of the cable attachment bracket (the one that the cables run that run to the wheels attach to) should have the longer end of the bracket...anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment

914itis
I did this last week, but I can't clearly understand your question. Please elaborate
ThePaintedMan
The right rear cable (the longer one) goes to the left side of the bracket in your picture. Is this what you meant?
saigon71
I am referring to the bracket with hooks that is held on with a clevis pin to the cable attached to the e-brake lever. One side of the bracket is longer than the other (measured from the clevis pin). Which e-brake cable (pass or driver side) should be put on the long side of the "hooked bracket?"

Thanks again,

Bob
914itis
I think you have to flip it the opposite direction as shown the picture .
walterolin
Never noticed there was a difference sides of the equalizer.

This is addressed in the Haynes manual, pg 116, para 18. "The longer cable is connected to the shorter side of the equalizer, and vice versa".

Keep learning new things about these cars.
jim_hoyland
popcorn[1].gif I'm getting ready to do the same thing. If you update your progress and any tips you find, it will be appreciated smile.gif
ThePaintedMan
Huh... I never realized it was offset either. I'll have to check mine smile.gif That was a good question, thanks!
Eric_Shea
It (the cable from the lever) should probably be flipped but I doubt it makes any difference. Here's the steps you should take. Make sure the handle is off the post on the longitudinal otherwise this can be very difficult. Just finished this last step on my car last night:

1. Attach that spring to the firewall. The long straight tab on the spring goes into a hole on the firewall (not in the hole on the tab welded to the firewall, that is for a screw for the cover). The hole goes left to right, directly under the firewall tab and is between the two cables.

2. Attach the cables to the yoke respectively.

3. Assuming the cable is attached to the loose (not mounted yet) handbrake lever... pull the handbrake lever at attach to the post on the longitudinal. Make sure the bushing is clean and lubricated.

4. Attach the M8 fastener to the ratchet claw and the longitudinal.

If you do not do it this way, you will have about 1/4" of distance between the spring and that bracket you show in your first post. With the long tab going in the firewall from left to right, the opening on the other end of the spring will be facing up. It will be very difficult to not only pull the spring to the hole "but" attach it once you get it there.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 5 2013, 07:10 AM) *

It (the cable from the lever) should probably be flipped but I doubt it makes any difference. Here's the steps you should take. Make sure the handle is off the post on the longitudinal otherwise this can be very difficult. Just finished this last step on my car last night:

1. Attach that spring to the firewall. The long straight tab on the spring goes into a hole on the firewall (not in the hole on the tab welded to the firewall, that is for a screw for the cover). The hole goes left to right, directly under the firewall tab and is between the two cables.

2. Attach the cables to the yoke respectively.

3. Assuming the cable is attached to the loose (not mounted yet) handbrake lever... pull the handbrake lever at attach to the post on the longitudinal. Make sure the bushing is clean and lubricated.

4. Attach the M8 fastener to the ratchet claw and the longitudinal.

If you do not do it this way, you will have about 1/4" of distance between the spring and that bracket you show in your first post. With the long tab going in the firewall from left to right, the opening on the other end of the spring will be facing up. It will be very difficult to not only pull the spring to the hole "but" attach it once you get it there.

Well actually, the double hook plate is stamped "oben", German for "top" or "up"
I'd guess that means "this side up" No ?

Eric_Shea
Yeah Rory, the yoke is fine, I was referring to the spring tab on the cable that get's held in by a pin. It's supposed to be mounted on top of the yoke but, it's underneath. That's the part I doubt makes a difference. I didn't see the markings in the pic either. Good eye.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 5 2013, 10:17 AM) *

Yeah Rory, the yoke is fine, I was referring to the spring tab on the cable that get's held in by a pin. It's supposed to be mounted on top of the yoke but, it's underneath. That's the part I doubt makes a difference. I didn't see the markings in the pic either. Good eye.

My comment about the word "oben" is not from looking at the picture.
The stamp in the picture is not legible. I know it from curiosity and experience.
Early cars did not have the helper spring to lower the Ebrake handle..... the infamous "broken " handle. Part of the later handle upgrade is that spring to insure release of the Ebrake and to pull the handle down.
Not sure that it makes a difference if the tab at the clevis is above or below.
saigon71
Got it. beerchug.gif Thanks for all the responses. I followed Mr. Shea's instructions. I just installed new cables, so I had to back the adjustment all the way down so it was easier to pull the lever on to the pivot point. Adjusted the parking brake according to the Haynes manual:

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.