Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clock Draining Battery
AvalonFal
post Jun 6 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think I've traced a battery drain back to an aftermarket clock on my '74 2.0. The clock is 90% stock looking, fits very nicely in the original console location and keeps great time, so I want to keep it installed and connected
The electrical schematics appear to show the black power lead to the clock coming from the seat belt/buzzer box under the passenger seat. Can I simply run a new wire from there to the clock? Or is there more to it??

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 6 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Run it from the fuse panel .... non-switched power.

Must be one hell of a clock to drain your battery.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 6 2013, 12:23 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Put an ammeter between the clock and ground. How much current is it pulling?

Replacing wires usually does nothing for a slow current drain. Fast drains usually leave evidence, like scorch marks, melted areas, sparks, and sometimes fire.

--DD
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post Jun 6 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Battery would go dead in a few days of non-use. A quick 15 minute charge and the car would start right up. So, I figure something is draining the battery.
Before I pulled fuses, the reading on my meter jumped between 4 milliamps to 17 and even 19 milliamps when connected between the negative battery post and the disconnected negative cable. The digital readings just continuously jumped to random numbers between 4 and 19 every second or so.
When I removed fuse #11 (last 8A between the 2 16A fuses), the meter read a steady 2.5 milliamps (radio presets?). I replaced the fuse and began disconnecting items on that circuit (interior light, turn signals, etc). When I disconnected the clock, the meter reading went back to the 2.5 milliamps.
With the meter between the clock and the clock power lead, the readings jump again between the 4 and 19 milliamps.
Currently (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif), I have all the fuses in place and the clock disconnected with a fully charged battery to see if it loses anything overnight.
There's something screwy with the clock, but I don't want to discard it because it looks good and keeps accurate time.
Hope this helps someone help me.

Paul
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 12:51 PM