Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clock Draining Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
I think I've traced a battery drain back to an aftermarket clock on my '74 2.0. The clock is 90% stock looking, fits very nicely in the original console location and keeps great time, so I want to keep it installed and connected
The electrical schematics appear to show the black power lead to the clock coming from the seat belt/buzzer box under the passenger seat. Can I simply run a new wire from there to the clock? Or is there more to it??

Paul
SLITS
Run it from the fuse panel .... non-switched power.

Must be one hell of a clock to drain your battery.
Dave_Darling
Put an ammeter between the clock and ground. How much current is it pulling?

Replacing wires usually does nothing for a slow current drain. Fast drains usually leave evidence, like scorch marks, melted areas, sparks, and sometimes fire.

--DD
AvalonFal
Battery would go dead in a few days of non-use. A quick 15 minute charge and the car would start right up. So, I figure something is draining the battery.
Before I pulled fuses, the reading on my meter jumped between 4 milliamps to 17 and even 19 milliamps when connected between the negative battery post and the disconnected negative cable. The digital readings just continuously jumped to random numbers between 4 and 19 every second or so.
When I removed fuse #11 (last 8A between the 2 16A fuses), the meter read a steady 2.5 milliamps (radio presets?). I replaced the fuse and began disconnecting items on that circuit (interior light, turn signals, etc). When I disconnected the clock, the meter reading went back to the 2.5 milliamps.
With the meter between the clock and the clock power lead, the readings jump again between the 4 and 19 milliamps.
Currently smile.gif, I have all the fuses in place and the clock disconnected with a fully charged battery to see if it loses anything overnight.
There's something screwy with the clock, but I don't want to discard it because it looks good and keeps accurate time.
Hope this helps someone help me.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.