Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear wheel/trailing arm bearing question
SKL1
post Jun 10 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pressed new bearings into the rear trailing arms of the '73 2.0 I'm restoring, and am using OEM 914/6 trailing arms, hubs, etc.

Both bearings pressed in pretty easily after having them in the freezer overnight. When pressing in the hubs, one went in smoothly, though the second one kind of hung up about half way in, and when pushing more, the inner race in the bearings (after the split in the middle) split and the bearing almost came apart. Or I should I say basically did come apart. With the hub pushed in, the whole thing was wobbling, essentially ruining a NEW bearing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Any suggestions as to what we might have done wrong, before I attempt to try this again with a NEW bearing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

TIA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jun 10 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 10 2013, 07:46 PM) *

Pressed new bearings into the rear trailing arms of the '73 2.0 I'm restoring, and am using OEM 914/6 trailing arms, hubs, etc.

Both bearings pressed in pretty easily after having them in the freezer overnight. When pressing in the hubs, one went in smoothly, though the second one kind of hung up about half way in, and when pushing more, the inner race in the bearings (after the split in the middle) split and the bearing almost came apart. Or I should I say basically did come apart. With the hub pushed in, the whole thing was wobbling, essentially ruining a NEW bearing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Any suggestions as to what we might have done wrong, before I attempt to try this again with a NEW bearing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

TIA.

Did you pull the hubs in? In other words did you use the allthread method with large washers? Sounds like you didnt and the hub pushed the bearing apart.

Our resident Mr. Shea will guide you through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDZv0j85Ybc
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 10 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

The inner race shouldn't push out if the inner race was supported during the press.

How did you press in the hubs?
+Quote Post
old dog
post Jun 10 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,257
Region Association: Central California

It's all about support. Pressing the bearing in, the bearing is cold the arm is warm , the arm is supported and the bearing is pressed in with pressure on the outer rim of the bearing, not the center races. Once the bearing is in, it's time for the hub and stub axle to be cold and let the bearing warm up some. If the center is properly supported the hub can be pressed in and then with the hub supported, the stub axle can be pressed into the hub. Alternately the hub and stub axle can be drawn together at the same time with a neat special tool. Using a large bolt with washers or "allthread" with washers will also work. A little temperature differential and a small amount of oil to help things slip together can make a huge difference.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 11 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sorry I missed that video when looking thru Eric's website. Guess we were lucky when putting in the other side!

Have gotten my front and rear calipers and various pieces from Eric- great guy to work with!! (free plug!!)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 11 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #6

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Checks in the mail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yup, best to press the arm down over the bearing. What went wrong is, it didn't get started straight enough. I always like to tap in about 1/3rd of the bearing with a rubber mallet making sure it is even in the bore. Then I take it over to the press and press the arm down over the bearing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 12:53 AM