Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel/trailing arm bearing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Pressed new bearings into the rear trailing arms of the '73 2.0 I'm restoring, and am using OEM 914/6 trailing arms, hubs, etc.

Both bearings pressed in pretty easily after having them in the freezer overnight. When pressing in the hubs, one went in smoothly, though the second one kind of hung up about half way in, and when pushing more, the inner race in the bearings (after the split in the middle) split and the bearing almost came apart. Or I should I say basically did come apart. With the hub pushed in, the whole thing was wobbling, essentially ruining a NEW bearing sad.gif

Any suggestions as to what we might have done wrong, before I attempt to try this again with a NEW bearing headbang.gif

TIA.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 10 2013, 07:46 PM) *

Pressed new bearings into the rear trailing arms of the '73 2.0 I'm restoring, and am using OEM 914/6 trailing arms, hubs, etc.

Both bearings pressed in pretty easily after having them in the freezer overnight. When pressing in the hubs, one went in smoothly, though the second one kind of hung up about half way in, and when pushing more, the inner race in the bearings (after the split in the middle) split and the bearing almost came apart. Or I should I say basically did come apart. With the hub pushed in, the whole thing was wobbling, essentially ruining a NEW bearing sad.gif

Any suggestions as to what we might have done wrong, before I attempt to try this again with a NEW bearing headbang.gif

TIA.

Did you pull the hubs in? In other words did you use the allthread method with large washers? Sounds like you didnt and the hub pushed the bearing apart.

Our resident Mr. Shea will guide you through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDZv0j85Ybc
Spoke
The inner race shouldn't push out if the inner race was supported during the press.

How did you press in the hubs?
old dog
It's all about support. Pressing the bearing in, the bearing is cold the arm is warm , the arm is supported and the bearing is pressed in with pressure on the outer rim of the bearing, not the center races. Once the bearing is in, it's time for the hub and stub axle to be cold and let the bearing warm up some. If the center is properly supported the hub can be pressed in and then with the hub supported, the stub axle can be pressed into the hub. Alternately the hub and stub axle can be drawn together at the same time with a neat special tool. Using a large bolt with washers or "allthread" with washers will also work. A little temperature differential and a small amount of oil to help things slip together can make a huge difference.
SKL1
Sorry I missed that video when looking thru Eric's website. Guess we were lucky when putting in the other side!

Have gotten my front and rear calipers and various pieces from Eric- great guy to work with!! (free plug!!)
Eric_Shea
Checks in the mail. biggrin.gif

Yup, best to press the arm down over the bearing. What went wrong is, it didn't get started straight enough. I always like to tap in about 1/3rd of the bearing with a rubber mallet making sure it is even in the bore. Then I take it over to the press and press the arm down over the bearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.