Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What Did I Break At Yesterday's AX?
Joseph Mills
post Nov 29 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #1

on a Sonoma diet now...

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

I haven't broken at an AX in a long time. Doesn't feel good at all.

On my third run when I attempted to launch my car in a robust manner at the start line, something popped, and I came to a rolling stop. I thought it had just popped out of low gear, but when I put it in reverse to backup to the start line, it would not move. Poor thang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

We rolled it off the grid and began investigating. At first the clutch felt odd, but then I decided it felt "normal" to me. The shifter moved freely into all the proper gear selection spots. The end of the clutch cable at the tranny seemed to be moving properly.

I started the engine with the clutch out and lever in neutral. Everything seemed normal. I slipped it into 4th gear and slowly let out the clutch. The car doesn't move and begins making a whirring sound with small tinny clicking/banging sounds. Doesn't sound good at all. I tried some other gear selections and it would sound a little different, but still similar. Seems like it's coming from the tranny. It sounds a bit like I have heard throw-out bearings sound when they go real bad.

Here are some guesses and comments made by various people present (914 & non-914 people):

"Sounds like the clutch".

"Sounds like the tranny".

"Sounds like the throw-out bearing".

"I've never heard that sound before".

"Sounds like you snapped the input shaft of the tranny. I've heard of that happening with a six, but not a four-banger".

"Sounds expensive".

None of the above sounded good to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I now know what happened, but I'm curious as to what some of you think may have happened. It could be something that was NOT mentioned above, or it could be something that WAS mentioned above.

First correct answer wins a uh... I dunno. I'll think of something. Maybe just bragging rights. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What's your best guess?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 04:39 PM