Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Did I Break At Yesterday's AX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
I haven't broken at an AX in a long time. Doesn't feel good at all.

On my third run when I attempted to launch my car in a robust manner at the start line, something popped, and I came to a rolling stop. I thought it had just popped out of low gear, but when I put it in reverse to backup to the start line, it would not move. Poor thang. biggrin.gif

We rolled it off the grid and began investigating. At first the clutch felt odd, but then I decided it felt "normal" to me. The shifter moved freely into all the proper gear selection spots. The end of the clutch cable at the tranny seemed to be moving properly.

I started the engine with the clutch out and lever in neutral. Everything seemed normal. I slipped it into 4th gear and slowly let out the clutch. The car doesn't move and begins making a whirring sound with small tinny clicking/banging sounds. Doesn't sound good at all. I tried some other gear selections and it would sound a little different, but still similar. Seems like it's coming from the tranny. It sounds a bit like I have heard throw-out bearings sound when they go real bad.

Here are some guesses and comments made by various people present (914 & non-914 people):

"Sounds like the clutch".

"Sounds like the tranny".

"Sounds like the throw-out bearing".

"I've never heard that sound before".

"Sounds like you snapped the input shaft of the tranny. I've heard of that happening with a six, but not a four-banger".

"Sounds expensive".

None of the above sounded good to me. unsure.gif

I now know what happened, but I'm curious as to what some of you think may have happened. It could be something that was NOT mentioned above, or it could be something that WAS mentioned above.

First correct answer wins a uh... I dunno. I'll think of something. Maybe just bragging rights. biggrin.gif

What's your best guess?
bwilless
CV Joint
Andyrew
clutch/pressureplate destroyed?

ohhh, the banging sound would give to the cv's... but anythings possible..
LvSteveH
I second the CV joint
curtis
mianshaft.
skline
My guess would be that you snapped the ring and pinion, that would be after the first guess of CV joint. Only one since you dont have a limited slip. It only takes one.
redshift
And you swear both axles are connected? (grab and yank)

Hmm... clutch, then transaxle...

(please learn car phonics ie; rrRrrrR.... ssst ssst ssst sst... tdtdtdtdtdtdtdtdt.. and so on..)

Sorry for ya buddy... I know that feeling..

M
MattR
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Nov 29 2004, 04:59 PM)
"Sounds expensive"

agree.gif

good luck!
tesserra
CV Joint.
Feels like something really serious but it is external of the trans and you should be happy it broke when you did not really need the car. ( I guess at the start of the autox the car is really needed)
This is a great example of why everybody should Auto x.
The car broke a part that was going to break anyway and it did not leave you in an unsafe place without help.
Driving the car hard brings out symptoms that you may not notice in normal driving.

George
mightyohm
CV joint, it's happened to me, TWICE!

The last time mine came off it whipped around and broke the clutch fork off. Not fun!

I think all 914 owners are likely to have this happen at least once.
skline
QUOTE(tesserra @ Nov 29 2004, 05:23 PM)
CV Joint.

Driving the car hard brings out symptoms that you may not notice in normal driving.

George

You mean you guys drive your cars hard?? I would never do that. wink.gif
bwilless
What did I win? A trip? How about a side view mirror? Joseph222 what happened? A friend wild9146 had this happen to his hot rod a couple weekends ago at the track.

Sorry you had the problem.
Joseph Mills
Wow! 7 out of 8 of you nailed it!:trophy:

Driver's side inner CV joint! All of you have braggin' rights as far as I'm concerned! biggrin.gif

The very next time my car breaks down, I'm going to PM each of you for help! rolleyes.gif

Like George said, it was a good thing it happened at home.

Another good thing is that a guy I don't really know that drives a miata/V8, immediately walked up and offered to use his rig to trailer my car home. That cheered me up.

When I looked at the CVs, everything looked "normal". I thought when they go away, they actually detach themselves. So evidently that's what happens later?

Okay, what do I owe everyone? biggrin.gif
skline
Considering you are in Oklahoma, nothing tangible, just get it fixed and get out and drive. Having another car on the road is all the thanks we need.
mightyohm
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Nov 29 2004, 06:01 PM)

When I looked at the CVs, everything looked "normal". I thought when they go away, they actually detach themselves. So evidently that's what happens later?

Usually the whole axle falls off on the inboard end because the 4 bolts holding it on back out. I'm surprised you actually broke a CV joint. That hasn't happened to me yet. biggrin.gif
Pesky 914
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Nov 29 2004, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Nov 29 2004, 06:01 PM)

Usually the whole axle falls off on the inboard end because the 4 bolts holding it on back out. I'm surprised you actually broke a CV joint. That hasn't happened to me yet. biggrin.gif

You need more power! I broke 2 with my 236rwhp modified 3.2L smile.gif
redshift
Breaking a cage is a good one! It happens when you get down make squeek.

Axelicus Flopicus, Anno Duo Dia, Corpus Cristi, Ass Dominos...

M
redshift
My most catastrophic failure was the inside left on a tightening right hand sweeper at 105.

That thing turns into a hammer, and destroys anything it touches, until, Allah willing, the outside one shears..

Uhhgg... icon8.gif whoa... I just threw up in my mouth.. oof...

M
Joseph Mills
chowtime.gif
cametal
Hey Joseph, sorry to hear that. If you need a hand let me know. smile.gif
onrails
hey joseph,,, heard about your misfurtune,,,also about the "'killer miata"
i'm sure it's handled,,, but if you need help you know you can call us. beerchug.gif
you know,,,,it'll be too cold soon,,,,,
joseph! craig! let's all go for one more 2004 drive!
highway 80? check on my headstone?
you two,,,curt ,,kevin and I.
let us know!
BRIAN smoke.gif
Otmar
Ok, so I'm way late on replying to this one, but yes, BTDT on the CV joint.
I also discovered that if you're in Portland OR on the Saturday morning after it broke (late night testing killed it), and you have a drag race at noon, and no one had CV joints in stock, all you need is a VW Bug CV joint and the right size drill bit for the pins. Drill two of the holes to take the pins, toss out the seal and you are all set. Works like a charm! biggrin.gif

Have fun!
scotty914
i had on back out once, trashed the pins in the cv, as well also oblonged the holes in the cv for the pins,and broke one bolt. but thanks the porsche god never came loose to fly around. this has me thinking:

has anybody ever built a loop hanging down from the trunk to catch em if they do go. i mean race cars and 4x4 trucks use them on the tranny end so the drive shaft doesnt hit the ground and throw the rear of the car/ truck in the air
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.