Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bike Rack, Do you think it will work?
mettelman
post Jun 11 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,132
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I found an extra targa top, bolted on a Yakima rack, reinforced the inside of the top and loaded a bike. Haven't taken a turn at speed, but it seems solid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jun 11 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .....Why!....would you treat your car like this?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 11 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Looks like a solid arrangement. Was there a reason you didn't use the bosses for ski racks under the targa bar over the engine compartment (three per side)?
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 11 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Ok so lets cut him a little slack. He has a bike with down tube shifters so he can't be all bad. A little old school maybe but nothing wrong with that. But a bike on a car catches a surprising amount of wind. Considering how much that may flex the roof, I would try for at least one solid mount into metal. Given the amount of flex that can be introduced to the top there is potential for failure in the long term and extended use. Tying it in to the targa bar ski rack holes would may it viable for long term use.

May not be a priority for some, but getting a bike on a 914 is no small task. I have seem trunk mounted arrangements that used the targa bar.
+Quote Post
matt5596
post Jun 11 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,619

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Hope the targa latches are in good condition.
+Quote Post
mettelman
post Jun 11 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 11 2013, 04:17 PM) *

Looks like a solid arrangement. Was there a reason you didn't use the bosses for ski racks under the targa bar over the engine compartment (three per side)?

Thanks Ron, I didn't think to use those bosses as I wanted something that could easily be removed and didn't require any special hardware. This way I can quickly remove the entire top. I just hope the rack doesn't tear itself off the vinyl.
+Quote Post
mettelman
post Jun 11 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 11 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Ok so lets cut him a little slack. He has a bike with down tube shifters so he can't be all bad. A little old school maybe but nothing wrong with that. But a bike on a car catches a surprising amount of wind. Considering how much that may flex the roof, I would try for at least one solid mount into metal. Given the amount of flex that can be introduced to the top there is potential for failure in the long term and extended use. Tying it in to the targa bar ski rack holes would may it viable for long term use.

May not be a priority for some, but getting a bike on a 914 is no small task. I have seem trunk mounted arrangements that used the targa bar.

Mike, you have a good eye for bikes. The one pictured is actually my girlfriend's. Mine is a 1977 Gios Torino with 10 speed tube shifter, and tubular tires ... really old school. Much more fun to ride than a high-tech graphite bike with 27 speeds.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 11 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

QUOTE(mettelman @ Jun 11 2013, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 11 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Mike, you have a good eye for bikes. The one pictured is actually my girlfriend's. Mine is a 1977 Gios Torino with 10 speed tube shifter, and tubular tires ... really old school. Much more fun to ride than a high-tech graphite bike with 27 speeds.

Probably a point that is lost on most people. I do ride one of the newer high-tech bikes but I still love the old school bikes. In 2007 when I rode parts of the tour route I saw some amazing old school bikes.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 11 2013, 05:08 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You'll be fine. I used to carry 2 road bikes on my roof.
+Quote Post
Kraftwerk
post Jun 11 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,085

I would use a quick release mount for the front wheel and put the wheel in the trunk. I just think it makes for a more stable set up in general. Otherwise I think you have a good thing there looks fine...

Until recently my road bike was a 1980's Rossin...
+Quote Post
green914
post Jun 11 2013, 05:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I would like to hear how your bike-rack works out after a good test run. I had a similar idea to make a tire-rack, but not so sure if the top would hold up to the task. If the bike-rack works out - next the tire-rack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 11 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Let me know how it works out.

I've been keeping this thread up to date.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0
+Quote Post
green914
post Jun 11 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,874

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 11 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Let me know how it works out.

I've been keeping this thread up to date.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0

Thanks for the link, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) those are some interesting roof racks. I would think if the top can support a kayak, and a bike, it will support a tire rack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:25 AM