Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bike Rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mettelman
I found an extra targa top, bolted on a Yakima rack, reinforced the inside of the top and loaded a bike. Haven't taken a turn at speed, but it seems solid blink.gif
Drums66
confused24.gif .....Why!....would you treat your car like this?

bye1.gif confused24.gif
pcar916
Looks like a solid arrangement. Was there a reason you didn't use the bosses for ski racks under the targa bar over the engine compartment (three per side)?
Mblizzard
Ok so lets cut him a little slack. He has a bike with down tube shifters so he can't be all bad. A little old school maybe but nothing wrong with that. But a bike on a car catches a surprising amount of wind. Considering how much that may flex the roof, I would try for at least one solid mount into metal. Given the amount of flex that can be introduced to the top there is potential for failure in the long term and extended use. Tying it in to the targa bar ski rack holes would may it viable for long term use.

May not be a priority for some, but getting a bike on a 914 is no small task. I have seem trunk mounted arrangements that used the targa bar.
matt5596
blink.gif Hope the targa latches are in good condition.
mettelman
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 11 2013, 04:17 PM) *

Looks like a solid arrangement. Was there a reason you didn't use the bosses for ski racks under the targa bar over the engine compartment (three per side)?

Thanks Ron, I didn't think to use those bosses as I wanted something that could easily be removed and didn't require any special hardware. This way I can quickly remove the entire top. I just hope the rack doesn't tear itself off the vinyl.
mettelman
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 11 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Ok so lets cut him a little slack. He has a bike with down tube shifters so he can't be all bad. A little old school maybe but nothing wrong with that. But a bike on a car catches a surprising amount of wind. Considering how much that may flex the roof, I would try for at least one solid mount into metal. Given the amount of flex that can be introduced to the top there is potential for failure in the long term and extended use. Tying it in to the targa bar ski rack holes would may it viable for long term use.

May not be a priority for some, but getting a bike on a 914 is no small task. I have seem trunk mounted arrangements that used the targa bar.

Mike, you have a good eye for bikes. The one pictured is actually my girlfriend's. Mine is a 1977 Gios Torino with 10 speed tube shifter, and tubular tires ... really old school. Much more fun to ride than a high-tech graphite bike with 27 speeds.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mettelman @ Jun 11 2013, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 11 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Mike, you have a good eye for bikes. The one pictured is actually my girlfriend's. Mine is a 1977 Gios Torino with 10 speed tube shifter, and tubular tires ... really old school. Much more fun to ride than a high-tech graphite bike with 27 speeds.

Probably a point that is lost on most people. I do ride one of the newer high-tech bikes but I still love the old school bikes. In 2007 when I rode parts of the tour route I saw some amazing old school bikes.
mepstein
You'll be fine. I used to carry 2 road bikes on my roof.
Kraftwerk
I would use a quick release mount for the front wheel and put the wheel in the trunk. I just think it makes for a more stable set up in general. Otherwise I think you have a good thing there looks fine...

Until recently my road bike was a 1980's Rossin...
green914
WTF.gif I would like to hear how your bike-rack works out after a good test run. I had a similar idea to make a tire-rack, but not so sure if the top would hold up to the task. If the bike-rack works out - next the tire-rack. smile.gif
Andyrew
Let me know how it works out.

I've been keeping this thread up to date.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0
green914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 11 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Let me know how it works out.

I've been keeping this thread up to date.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0

Thanks for the link, piratenanner.gif those are some interesting roof racks. I would think if the top can support a kayak, and a bike, it will support a tire rack smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.