Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tickety-tackety, Is this how a T-IV is supposed to sound
PDXMike
post Jun 11 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #1

Slowly Learning

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,501
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a bit of an engine ticking noise. I don't know if it is a bad ticking noise, or a normal ticking noise. Sounds a little like a loose valve maybe? It's sort of high pitched, like a cross between someone tapping on a bellhop's bell and a squeak. I have posted the world's most boring youtube video in the hopes that someone here can tell me that it falls within the realm of normal:

Ticking engine video

I adjusted the valves last night and found a few that were a bit out. No real improvement though. It's a little hard to hear over the exhaust noise. At speed it definitely ticks along. I don't have an engine pad in place. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks for any thoughts
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 11 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(PDXMike @ Jun 11 2013, 08:15 PM) *

I have a bit of an engine ticking noise. I don't know if it is a bad ticking noise, or a normal ticking noise. Sounds a little like a loose valve maybe? It's sort of high pitched, like a cross between someone tapping on a bellhop's bell and a squeak. I have posted the world's most boring youtube video in the hopes that someone here can tell me that it falls within the realm of normal:

Ticking engine video

I adjusted the valves last night and found a few that were a bit out. No real improvement though. It's a little hard to hear over the exhaust noise. At speed it definitely ticks along. I don't have an engine pad in place. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks for any thoughts

Welcome to the 914 racket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Sounds okay to me! A HELL of a lot quieter than dual carbs!
+Quote Post
Haudiosolutions
post Jun 11 2013, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,284

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) sounds fine to me or else I should be VERY worried.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 11 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Get under it and check for an exhaust leak. My FAT Performance engine has sounded like a thrashing machine since it was new and runs great. Your sounds quite nice actually. However I have had a "ticking" noise and it did indeed turn out to be an exhaust leak. Good luck.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 11 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) as usual I have to agree with Elliot. Sounds really good but I think I hear a bit of an exhaust leak.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Jun 12 2013, 06:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Pretty much what mine sounds like and mine runs good. Valves have been adjusted by people who know what thet are doing and I look after my maintenance the best I can. happy motoring!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 08:50 PM