Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tickety-tackety
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike
I have a bit of an engine ticking noise. I don't know if it is a bad ticking noise, or a normal ticking noise. Sounds a little like a loose valve maybe? It's sort of high pitched, like a cross between someone tapping on a bellhop's bell and a squeak. I have posted the world's most boring youtube video in the hopes that someone here can tell me that it falls within the realm of normal:

Ticking engine video

I adjusted the valves last night and found a few that were a bit out. No real improvement though. It's a little hard to hear over the exhaust noise. At speed it definitely ticks along. I don't have an engine pad in place. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks for any thoughts
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(PDXMike @ Jun 11 2013, 08:15 PM) *

I have a bit of an engine ticking noise. I don't know if it is a bad ticking noise, or a normal ticking noise. Sounds a little like a loose valve maybe? It's sort of high pitched, like a cross between someone tapping on a bellhop's bell and a squeak. I have posted the world's most boring youtube video in the hopes that someone here can tell me that it falls within the realm of normal:

Ticking engine video

I adjusted the valves last night and found a few that were a bit out. No real improvement though. It's a little hard to hear over the exhaust noise. At speed it definitely ticks along. I don't have an engine pad in place. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks for any thoughts

Welcome to the 914 racket smile.gif Sounds okay to me! A HELL of a lot quieter than dual carbs!
Haudiosolutions
agree.gif sounds fine to me or else I should be VERY worried.
Elliot Cannon
Get under it and check for an exhaust leak. My FAT Performance engine has sounded like a thrashing machine since it was new and runs great. Your sounds quite nice actually. However I have had a "ticking" noise and it did indeed turn out to be an exhaust leak. Good luck.
Mblizzard
agree.gif as usual I have to agree with Elliot. Sounds really good but I think I hear a bit of an exhaust leak.
Ian Stott
Pretty much what mine sounds like and mine runs good. Valves have been adjusted by people who know what thet are doing and I look after my maintenance the best I can. happy motoring!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.