Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remove Windshield to remove dash
haasman
post Jul 6 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,947
Region Association: Northern California

In need to replace the windshield on my 1970 914-6. I am considering replacing the dash. Does the windshield have to be removed to get the upper dash cover off?

If I do replace the dash, any excellent sources for dashes?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 6 2013, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

All of the plastic nuts holding the dash on are accessible from inside with the windshield in place. I think it would be difficult to replace the dash vinyl with the windshield in place though...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Jul 6 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

The upper dash is part of the entire dash frame. You don't need the windshield out to get the entire dash off. There are four nuts holding it on under the cowl in the front trunk space. They're tough to get to with all the fresh air and windshield wiper equipment in the way, but it can be done. On the side of the dash (once you take off the knee pad bottom dash) there are screws on each side of the dash. Lastly, there is a bolt under the dash, near the fresh air controls.

Taking off the entire frame is the only way to replace the upper dash pad vinyl. I have seen a few people try to replace it without removing the dash, but there isn't a good way to tuck the vinyl back under the dash frame and have the adhesive stick when the dash is still in the car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 02:58 PM