Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove Windshield to remove dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
haasman
In need to replace the windshield on my 1970 914-6. I am considering replacing the dash. Does the windshield have to be removed to get the upper dash cover off?

If I do replace the dash, any excellent sources for dashes?
ConeDodger
All of the plastic nuts holding the dash on are accessible from inside with the windshield in place. I think it would be difficult to replace the dash vinyl with the windshield in place though...
Rob-O
The upper dash is part of the entire dash frame. You don't need the windshield out to get the entire dash off. There are four nuts holding it on under the cowl in the front trunk space. They're tough to get to with all the fresh air and windshield wiper equipment in the way, but it can be done. On the side of the dash (once you take off the knee pad bottom dash) there are screws on each side of the dash. Lastly, there is a bolt under the dash, near the fresh air controls.

Taking off the entire frame is the only way to replace the upper dash pad vinyl. I have seen a few people try to replace it without removing the dash, but there isn't a good way to tuck the vinyl back under the dash frame and have the adhesive stick when the dash is still in the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.