Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got a new Windshield today, Greater Cincinnati - Mels Auto Glass
turk22
post Jul 8 2013, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Treetop Flyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I got my new windshield installed today. Mel's Auto Glass in Cincinnati did the work, and I'm VERY happy with the job.

True story, my installer was Steve Boehner (Speaker of the House, John Boehner's brother). Great guy, used all the parts from the AA Windshield kit I purchased, including the butyl strip.

We were both pleased with how the non original windshield came out, and the channel cleaned up. No rust at all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

The glass went back in, we used the rubber setting blocks, replaced the trim clips with new, trim went back on perfectly... really a great job. $304 dollars + my AA install kit. I also purchased the Windshield to dash seal from Mikey914, and that went it without any issues as well.

Pictures!:
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 8 2013, 03:39 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....Without using a microscope....well done!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (no self liability)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 8 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #3

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

Looks good, who did you get the glass from?
+Quote Post
casey944
post Jul 8 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,654
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(wes @ Jul 8 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Looks good, who did you get the glass from?

was thinking the same thing.
+Quote Post
turk22
post Jul 8 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Treetop Flyer

Mel's Auto Glass supplied the windshield. Not sure where they get them from. You can see the maker specific info in the last picture.

I had to call several local Windshield shops before I could find someone to take the job, but these guys came thru at a reasonable price. The guy did a great job getting the old windshield out, without any damage to the interior.

The Windshield has a tinted stripe on the top, which is not original.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jul 8 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Good to know you can still source a new glass for the old 914 ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 8 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Tinted windshields were available, and original...
+Quote Post
turk22
post Jul 9 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #8

Treetop Flyer

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2013, 10:31 PM) *

I knew that you could get tinted windshields, but this one has a darker blue strip at the top of the windshield, which I thought was not something original.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 9 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Apex killer!

QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 9 2013, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2013, 10:31 PM) *

I knew that you could get tinted windshields, but this one has a darker blue strip at the top of the windshield, which I thought was not something original.

If it isn't a Sigla it isn't original. Too hard to tell from the pictures if it would match the Sigla tint.

I'm glad you're happy with the windshield and price but I don't want others to be discouraged from trying this themselves. It is a rather easy one or two person job that doesn't require special tools. Clips, spacers, butyl tape, window primer to help the butyl bond to the window... You should also plan to replace the vinyl forward of the dash as it should be done with the window out. Easy-peasy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
turk22
post Jul 9 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #10

Treetop Flyer

yep, I agree, after watching it done, it really wasn't to bad. However the windshield removal really damaged the edges of my already cracked windshield. The previous install was a cobb job and was definitely not a normal standard install.

I guess there are other methods of removal that are not as destructive, but the installation is pretty straightforward, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself next time...guess that's always the case, after you see it done....
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jul 9 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 9 2013, 04:00 PM) *

yep, I agree, after watching it done, it really wasn't to bad. However the windshield removal really damaged the edges of my already cracked windshield. The previous install was a cobb job and was definitely not a normal standard install.

I guess there are other methods of removal that are not as destructive, but the installation is pretty straightforward, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself next time...guess that's always the case, after you see it done....

Yes, but for $304 including the glass, does it make much sense to do it yourself when you can have the Speaker of the House's brother do it for you with a guarantee? I think not.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 10 2013, 07:54 AM
Post #12

Apex killer!

QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 9 2013, 04:00 PM) *

If the old window is cracked, why worry about its removal? I remember replacing the window in my Bug back in high school. Boss told me to get inside while he stood outside. When he told me to put both feet on the windshield and push I thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The only thing you care about on the removal is that it doesn't damage anything you want to keep. Like nice paint and fingers.

$300 is about half the cost of a Rennshifter. It would buy a couple of 16X7 Fuchs in need of restoration. I could go on but I think you get my point. We have rules against discussing what I think about sleazy politicians so I won't broach that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
porsche_dreamer
post Jul 10 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,505
Region Association: None

Mel's is off Reading rd correct?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:07 AM