Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A Arm Rebuild, Bushings and ball joint
jrrhdmust
post Jul 8 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,668
Region Association: None

So I thought I would write of my escapades this weekend. I continued on with the front suspension rebuild. This time is was the A arms.

I ordered the special tool to install the ball joints, although I had a little difficulty trying to use the chisel method to loosen them. I ended up soaking them in WD40 and using the install tool with an electric impact wrench and they came right off.

The bushings were a different story = mostly user error. So I bought the URO bushings to replace the originals. I have a little Harbor Freight chepo press. I heated them up like the instructions said, however my first effort I was right at the bottom of 180 degrees. Secondly I took the dish soap and lubed both parts as opposed to just one, and lastly I spent an inordinate amount of time setting the press - which probably let them cool further. Lastly, I bent the little ears on the main A arm trying to force the bushing in.

So I pressed the bushings out, pressed the little ears back into place, and reread the instructions.

The second time, I made sure my press was ready for action, and I used a block of wood using the length of the A Arm to press against, instead of the little ears. Secondly, I heated the rubber to 190 to 200, as opposed the 180-200, and I only lubed the main shaft. I made haste to the press (which is in the basement, as opposed to my kitchen), and the bushings pressed on without a hitch.

Hope this helps someone avoid my mistakes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:48 PM