Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Arm Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrrhdmust
So I thought I would write of my escapades this weekend. I continued on with the front suspension rebuild. This time is was the A arms.

I ordered the special tool to install the ball joints, although I had a little difficulty trying to use the chisel method to loosen them. I ended up soaking them in WD40 and using the install tool with an electric impact wrench and they came right off.

The bushings were a different story = mostly user error. So I bought the URO bushings to replace the originals. I have a little Harbor Freight chepo press. I heated them up like the instructions said, however my first effort I was right at the bottom of 180 degrees. Secondly I took the dish soap and lubed both parts as opposed to just one, and lastly I spent an inordinate amount of time setting the press - which probably let them cool further. Lastly, I bent the little ears on the main A arm trying to force the bushing in.

So I pressed the bushings out, pressed the little ears back into place, and reread the instructions.

The second time, I made sure my press was ready for action, and I used a block of wood using the length of the A Arm to press against, instead of the little ears. Secondly, I heated the rubber to 190 to 200, as opposed the 180-200, and I only lubed the main shaft. I made haste to the press (which is in the basement, as opposed to my kitchen), and the bushings pressed on without a hitch.

Hope this helps someone avoid my mistakes.
andys
If I recall correctly, the URO instructional video says to put bushings in boiling water. That's how I did mine (and the soap), and they went on without a hitch.

Andys
Retread
The Ball Joint tool that I have came from Baum Tools. The instructions specifically state it is for tighten / torquing only. Not to be used for loosening.

Use a pipe wrench to loosen the Ball Joint sleeve nut. Replace both sleeves if scratches offend you.

Trade your WD-40 in on AeroKroil from Kano Labs (found on the internet).

dknechtly
I see you used the URO bushings. I'm torn between Elephant rubber, Rebel, and URO. Are these still performing OK? I'm pretty much planning on rubber since mine is a pure street car.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(dknechtly @ Jan 21 2016, 02:01 PM) *

I see you used the URO bushings. I'm torn between Elephant rubber, Rebel, and URO. Are these still performing OK? I'm pretty much planning on rubber since mine is a pure street car.

After seeing how low mile stock rubber distorts I'd look into bushings.
JmuRiz
If you go rubber, go with the Elephant.
jmill
If you go with bushings check out Rebel Racing. I have their RSR set up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=273707

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.