Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> American Hot Rod right now.., No P poop
retrotech
post Dec 4 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #21

retrotech

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,302

I never realized I was in such danger. I drove my Chanelled 31 Model A, with a 283 Chevy V8 in the ealy 60's.........no box/no problem?

Retro
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Dec 4 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #22

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Like the cars....can't stand the people on the show. They're all dumbasses, pricks, or a combination of the two.....well, except for the painter, he's alright.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 4 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Im not a fan of boyd's cars anyway. I think everything he does is old school look, which is good, but its all the same. I dont think he's very creative. But to each his own, thats what the hot rod industry is all about!

And the painter (charlie) is no longer working for Boyd. He moved to Foose Design to work with Chip Foose, who I think is a real artist.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Dec 5 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #24

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(MattR @ Dec 4 2004, 09:35 PM)

And the painter (charlie) is no longer working for Boyd. He moved to Foose Design to work with Chip Foose, who I think is a real artist.

Shows how much I watch it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm with you on Chip Foose, VERY talented! Not a dipsh*t like the fools on American Hotrod either.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 5 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #25

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Boyd' first wife is a little Hitler herself. BIG PITA to work wirth.
I agree that 1/2 the people in that shiop could be replaced tomorrow with high school drop outs.

Paul
+Quote Post
914efi
post Dec 5 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,204

2 things:

I run a shop building optical instruments that require a mix of talent, intellect and perseverence. People with this mix are very difficult to find, so you put up with some of the strangeness. My shop is a good natured Boyd's, or American chopper atmosphere. Anyone want a job?

I wondered why they could not compromise and do a boxing of the frame at some depth that would still show the channel section, but would add strength. This would have taken a bit of extra time, but might have satisfied everyone.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 5 2004, 09:08 AM
Post #27

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(914efi @ Dec 5 2004, 06:43 AM)
2 things:

I wondered why they could not compromise and do a boxing of the frame at some depth that would still show the channel section, but would add strength. This would have taken a bit of extra time, but might have satisfied everyone.

That's why Boyd is such an idiot. He doesn't have the people skills to negociate. He see's what he wants to see. After all... he is Boyd! Blue Bear is a kid. I was wondering why Charlie wasn't in the show. Glad to here he escaped. He's a talented good natured guy. I can't believe I watch that crap. I'm hooked.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 5 2004, 09:24 AM
Post #28

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think they should update there website www.boydcoddington.com now that a few of the people have left the show.

If you dig into the website you can get the forum and people are 50/50 on there like and dislike for Boyd and for theexit of Charlie and BB.

I have always thought that from the very first show, what are people how have commisioned to have a car built at this shop going to think when they see the way some of the people conduct themselves, who are going to be building there car.

I always thought RIDES was a much better program, and OVERHAULIN is better than the soap opera that is BOYDS .
But I'll be watching again next week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
CCLINROYBRIZIORULES
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Dec 5 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Let's not forget OCC....American Chopper....I love to watch those two fight! Only difference between Boyd and Paul Sr. is Paul Sr. could kick your ass!
+Quote Post
retrotech
post Dec 5 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #30

retrotech

Member No.: 1,302

For all of you, that are hooked on the Soap, AHR. I too have been amazed at the crap Boyd took from BB, and even wondered if they were related. That might explain why the kid stayed.
I recently sold a 356 to one of the fabricators on the show. He is a very nice guy, probably why he doesn't get much camera time.
I will try to attach the reponse he sent to my questions about the show.
Basically he said he couldn't understand why Boyd put up with him. He also said everything is filmed just as it happens, not scripted, "except" Mike's idea of the truck challenge. Boyd was in on that idea.
But it truly was an 8 day deadline, and they did work day & night.
I guess the trip to KY was pretty interestying also.

Retro
+Quote Post
FriarJohn
post Dec 5 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #31

Non-914-Owner

Member No.: 211

QUOTE(MattR @ Dec 4 2004, 10:35 PM)
And the painter (charlie) is no longer working for Boyd.  He moved to Foose Design to work with Chip Foose, who I think is a real artist.

With regards to whether it's scripted or not, yes and no. It's my understanding that Charlie quit. Before he left, Boyd asked him into his office, and with the cameras there, "fired" him. So keep that in mind when you watch that episode.

Pretty chickenshit, if you ask me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

And Foose? Foose is the man. He's the only one on TV right now, in all these bike and car shows, that has any integrity or credibility.
+Quote Post
FriarJohn
post Dec 5 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #32

Non-914-Owner

Member No.: 211

RE: Tig.

When the first Tig show aired, I asked a friend in "the biz" if he knew the guy. He said he knew of him and, "he's already back in Great Falls." I didn't get any other info at the time, but obviously I knew he wasn't going to last. But Tig is for real. People up here really do talk like that. I guess we're all just a bunch of insensitive neanderthals up here who want to beat up annoying shitheads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Kinda makes me wonder, now, about the level of involvement of the producers. I wonder if they get any say in who gets hired on, not to script them, but to create conflict. Shows like Survivor and the Real World (awful title) use creative casting all the time to induce conflict and "drama."

I think Boyd would be insane to let a TV producer to that to his shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 5 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I think we all have to remember this show is on discovery, not speed. Its meant to entertain and boost ratings.

I would be into a car show that brough cars back from the dead on a REAL network, but until then I'll just wrench on my teener (or 912 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)).
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Dec 6 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,335

Well,Well, Well,

The truth folks is those idiots put people in the seats.

And I really don't like it. Coddington is a poor leader as is his management. Dewayne is a poor excuse for a manager. And Boyd, Another poor excuse but for an owner. I have worked in a restoration and "Hot Rod" shop and really talented people are few and far between, Like a good metal worker. The art itself is being lost, so the grumpy old prick you see on AHR is the last of a dying breed, and for the poster that said the people that work in those shops are barely HS graduates, "exception" taken. The really good fabricators have spent years to hone their craft, beside how many college graduates you know can really do something. They still need OJT. And these days most of them want to be middle management when they start.

As for AHR, I agree with BlueBalls, Boyd cut up a really nice car for this bullshit project, that car will never be made again, nor driven, nor enjoyed and it really sucked to see him screw the windows up and destroy a perfectly good restored car, just like the 29 truck they are now doing. It makes my heart sink.

Being in the motorcycle industry, I have on occasion met the OCC guys, mostly prior to their "discovery" on Discovery. I will say this, some ideas are new, but I am really sick and tired of seeing add ons to an existing chassis. And REALLY tired of seeing them banging axles and bolts in so they fit. Heh AH, go get a reamer, you would think by now they know when you plate a part the hole size changes. maybe they should have stuck with IROn working, and without that painter they have, they would'nt be shit. He is really talented, as for paulie and Sr Paulie, goombas, Thats it. I have to hand it to them though, they are making more than me. But they suck at project management too.

Erik
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 7 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #35

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

Watching "Rides" tonight and Chip Foose introduced his new painter Charlie.....Charlie's comment was it was nice to see that everything was so organised for the build. (they were doing a Cadillac XLR).
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 7 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #36

Also Part 1 of the Rat build, the beginning of the end for BB. On American Hot Rod tonight.
CCLINREPEAT
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 7 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #37

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

They showed BB on rides later on......no intro, but can't miss that hat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 7 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #38

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

what time is rides on?
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Dec 7 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #39

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Comes on at 1 amagain on the east coast. Cool builds of 2 Caddys for SEMA.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 8 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #40

American Hot rod right now Rat Rod part 1, 12pm Overhaulin, and 1am Rides.
CCLINTVGUIDE
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:19 AM