Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Talk 'bout not knowing what you have, Blessings from the parts God??
jwalters
post Dec 4 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) So here I am, all jacked up from the surgery on my sinus cavities the other day---bored to death--need badly to make some progress on my teener---

So I take less pain meds to have a clear head and go out to my derelict teener with the engine full of water ( years!) I decide that in two hours I could have the engine and tranny out and call it a day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I get the Motor out, and to make things light for the 75 yrd dash to my shop, I disassemble most of the engine---- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I pop the covers---- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) -- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ---- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Wow---BRAND NEW heads---not rebuilt,,,,brand new vw castings--and whats this.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) .BRAND NEW rockers, shafts, and adjusters!!!!

Now I am thinking ...just how many miles are on this motor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I look down into the barrels---got some crud built up on them--but not sitting in standing water----huh, case says 1.8>> but these are 94's, and the pistons look awesome!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So now I am thinking to myself, " self, it just doesn't get any better than this!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

So I get my mag light and peer down into the bores--- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) waht tha????

I have a stroked, forged,balanced, counter weighted crank in it!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

You can clearly see the forging part line from the middle of the balance web all the way down into the machined area for the throws... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

So I take a closer look at the pistons---hmmm--the pin boss is touching the oil control rings---those don't look like standard pistons like I see in the pictures--hmmmmmmm

The really good thing is that even tho it was full of water--the oil and water mixed into a splooge---coated most everything down with a terriffic rust preventative--all the metal looks as if new!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

In fact the more I tear this engine down, the more I realize it has less than a thousand miles on it--easily

All the studs, bolts, nuts, you name it--is new

I do know for a fact that this engine has been sitting like this for over 4 yrs, I bought it from a co-worker that just never got around to doing anything with it, and he got it in the same condition.

So now tell me, I thought that counter-weighted, forged cranks for these engines were just never available, but I clearly have one--Who knows of a company that actually produced these?????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

AND TO THINK " I WAS JUST GOING TO THROW IT OUT !!!!"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
Katmanken
post Dec 4 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #2

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) There is only one thing better...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

That is when those new heads have 3 intake studs..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

I bought a junker car with 2 brand new 2.0 heads for $300. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great find! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I recently scored an engne rebuild kit including all bearings and gaskets, a NOS set of NPR 96mm big bore cylinders and pistons case, 3 heads, case and crank etc.. NPR box was a little yellow but the parts were exactly as I remember them in the original paper......Paperwork indicated the heads were rebuilt in 1982 so this stuff sat on a shelf since then! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post
bondo
post Dec 4 2004, 04:07 PM
Post #3

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

What, no nickies or ceramic lifters? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mharrison
post Dec 4 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Why do I bother????

Member No.: 1,123

OK, here's my opportunity......
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 4 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

does SCAT make type IV cranks??

i thought I've seen ads in VW Trends for them or maybe it was CB performance??
+Quote Post
914momo
post Dec 4 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,933

scat does make stroker cranks but they are way spendy........1050 to 1900 bucks ( OUCH)....
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 5 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #7

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Dammit, now I am bummed---I got the case split today---I just knew it was too good to be true--oh well, here is what I found:

The #3 bearing had siezed to the crank, galling it up, but not too bad---crank says "SCAT". It will have to be welded and straightened, re-balanced, hell, depending on the prices I may just make a shrine to it on my mantle overlooking the fireplace!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

All the rods had only a little bit of rust, but that little bit went a little bit too deep, each one has various small pock marks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) How serious is this for 2.0 rods, cause good gosh are they beefy!!)

And to take the cake---get this guys--the heads are two different models to each other. One of them has jinormous ports cast right into them---the other has a different port shape all-together. Now this really (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) !!!!

Oh why oh why can I not catch a break!!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 5 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Typical..

I can fix the crank...

It fell prey to a Type IV idiot. I have seen this happen so much.

It seems the less experience people have the BETTER parts they buy hoping to overcome their lack of ecxperience by using stuff thats indstructible..

It normally ends up like this after they figure out they should have paid someone else to do it that understands how weird this engine really is to properly configure..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:22 AM