Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talk 'bout not knowing what you have
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
ohmy.gif So here I am, all jacked up from the surgery on my sinus cavities the other day---bored to death--need badly to make some progress on my teener---

So I take less pain meds to have a clear head and go out to my derelict teener with the engine full of water ( years!) I decide that in two hours I could have the engine and tranny out and call it a day. wink.gif

I get the Motor out, and to make things light for the 75 yrd dash to my shop, I disassemble most of the engine---- biggrin.gif

I pop the covers---- ohmy.gif -- blink.gif ---- biggrin.gif Wow---BRAND NEW heads---not rebuilt,,,,brand new vw castings--and whats this.... ohmy.gif .BRAND NEW rockers, shafts, and adjusters!!!!

Now I am thinking ...just how many miles are on this motor confused24.gif

I look down into the barrels---got some crud built up on them--but not sitting in standing water----huh, case says 1.8>> but these are 94's, and the pistons look awesome!!! biggrin.gif

So now I am thinking to myself, " self, it just doesn't get any better than this!" beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

So I get my mag light and peer down into the bores--- ohmy.gif waht tha????

I have a stroked, forged,balanced, counter weighted crank in it!!!! pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

You can clearly see the forging part line from the middle of the balance web all the way down into the machined area for the throws... cool_shades.gif

So I take a closer look at the pistons---hmmm--the pin boss is touching the oil control rings---those don't look like standard pistons like I see in the pictures--hmmmmmmm

The really good thing is that even tho it was full of water--the oil and water mixed into a splooge---coated most everything down with a terriffic rust preventative--all the metal looks as if new!!! aktion035.gif

In fact the more I tear this engine down, the more I realize it has less than a thousand miles on it--easily

All the studs, bolts, nuts, you name it--is new

I do know for a fact that this engine has been sitting like this for over 4 yrs, I bought it from a co-worker that just never got around to doing anything with it, and he got it in the same condition.

So now tell me, I thought that counter-weighted, forged cranks for these engines were just never available, but I clearly have one--Who knows of a company that actually produced these?????? confused24.gif

AND TO THINK " I WAS JUST GOING TO THROW IT OUT !!!!"
Katmanken
smilie_pokal.gif There is only one thing better...... blink.gif

That is when those new heads have 3 intake studs..... rocking nana.gif

I bought a junker car with 2 brand new 2.0 heads for $300. beerchug.gif

Great find! agree.gif aktion035.gif

I recently scored an engne rebuild kit including all bearings and gaskets, a NOS set of NPR 96mm big bore cylinders and pistons case, 3 heads, case and crank etc.. NPR box was a little yellow but the parts were exactly as I remember them in the original paper......Paperwork indicated the heads were rebuilt in 1982 so this stuff sat on a shelf since then! smilie_pokal.gif

Ken
bondo
What, no nickies or ceramic lifters? smile.gif
mharrison
OK, here's my opportunity......
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mueller
does SCAT make type IV cranks??

i thought I've seen ads in VW Trends for them or maybe it was CB performance??
914momo
scat does make stroker cranks but they are way spendy........1050 to 1900 bucks ( OUCH)....
jwalters
sad.gif Dammit, now I am bummed---I got the case split today---I just knew it was too good to be true--oh well, here is what I found:

The #3 bearing had siezed to the crank, galling it up, but not too bad---crank says "SCAT". It will have to be welded and straightened, re-balanced, hell, depending on the prices I may just make a shrine to it on my mantle overlooking the fireplace!! biggrin.gif

All the rods had only a little bit of rust, but that little bit went a little bit too deep, each one has various small pock marks sad.gif How serious is this for 2.0 rods, cause good gosh are they beefy!!)

And to take the cake---get this guys--the heads are two different models to each other. One of them has jinormous ports cast right into them---the other has a different port shape all-together. Now this really barf.gif !!!!

Oh why oh why can I not catch a break!!!!!!!!!!! confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Jake Raby
Typical..

I can fix the crank...

It fell prey to a Type IV idiot. I have seen this happen so much.

It seems the less experience people have the BETTER parts they buy hoping to overcome their lack of ecxperience by using stuff thats indstructible..

It normally ends up like this after they figure out they should have paid someone else to do it that understands how weird this engine really is to properly configure..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.