Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scavenge oil line
john914somers
post Jul 29 2013, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,051
Region Association: Northern California

I was told by 911design that I need to put a spring inside of my 16AN braided steel line that goes from my dry sump to the stock cooler of my 3.2 or it will cost me an engine. They said that the oil line will collapse Causing oil starvation. When I talked to Patrick Motorsports they hadn't heard that before. Does anybody know of anyone doing this or is this really not necessary? Any info. On this topic would be awesome. Many thanks!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Jul 30 2013, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

How can a pressurized line collapse...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 30 2013, 12:59 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's a gravity line and not pressurized. I've heard both yes and no depending on who you ask.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jul 30 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #4

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

QUOTE(john914somers @ Jul 29 2013, 11:46 PM) *

I was told by 911design that I need to put a spring inside of my 16AN braided steel line that goes from my dry sump to the stock cooler of my 3.2 or it will cost me an engine...

I never heard of this issue. I assume this means from the stock tank. I have the same -16 AeroQuip lines on my 3.6 L and never had a problem. Where your cooler is I have AeroQuip fittings.

It's several segments with 45 and 90 degree mandrel-bent fittings and a union to make a turn you don't have in your system. I don't have a cooler there so my line has to go all the way to the engine case.

I did install a support bracket on the suspension console to hold up the line between the tank and the case. About the spring... regardless of whether it will help, it won't hurt anything.
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Jul 30 2013, 06:27 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,507

Some hoses are rated for suction and some are not. I would check for the hose you are running. The springs are not expensive and won't hurt anything if you didn't actually need it......
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 30 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(john914somers @ Jul 29 2013, 09:46 PM) *

I was told by 911design that I need to put a spring inside of my 16AN braided steel line that goes from my dry sump to the stock cooler of my 3.2 or it will cost me an engine. They said that the oil line will collapse Causing oil starvation. When I talked to Patrick Motorsports they hadn't heard that before. Does anybody know of anyone doing this or is this really not necessary? Any info. On this topic would be awesome. Many thanks!!!

Don't know about a spring to keep the hose from collapsing, but you'll kill an engine if you don't make sure the oil feed line is full with no air pockets. On The Beast we would push air into the top of the oil tank forcing all the air out of the lines.

And not following the procedure did cost us a motor before we had Matt Lowrance fix the plumbing.

Matt did have a special way of routing the oil feed line from the oil tank to the engine. It ran over the top of the passenger side window then back to the motor. Not sure why he did this, but it had something to do with keeping air out of the oil feed line.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 30 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 30 2013, 07:23 AM) *
It ran over the top of the passenger side window then back to the motor. Not sure why he did this, but it had something to do with keeping air out of the oil feed line.

Yupp, all the toyo spec 911s build by Jerry Woods do exactly the same thing.
But, that's mainly because they run the oil tank up front and there's a lot of line from the tank to the engine.

On a stock 914 setup the tank is completely above the line and the line is short.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 30 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Gad .... Scavenge line is pressure and the only real obstructions are fittings and the oil filter ... otherwise a free dump into the tank.

Somebody is smoking better dope that I can get.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 1 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

The title says scavenge oil line but the text refers to the engine supply line.
I wouldn't worry about a spring inside a scavenge line but I would certainly want one in the supply line if the car has a non stock tank in a forward location.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 7 2013, 07:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,985

I've also heard that the feed line to the engine should have a spring. I didn't know that when I built my 914/6 track car, which has a -20 oil feed line, no spring. The feed line has suction, so it could conceivably collapse. I've heard one or two stories about this over the years. It must not be a very common occurrence though.

For clarity, I call the scavenge line the one that takes oil from the engine sump to the cooler/tank. That's a pressurized line and wouldn't need an internal spring since there shouldn't be any risk of that one collapsing.

Scott
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:24 AM