Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scavenge oil line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
I was told by 911design that I need to put a spring inside of my 16AN braided steel line that goes from my dry sump to the stock cooler of my 3.2 or it will cost me an engine. They said that the oil line will collapse Causing oil starvation. When I talked to Patrick Motorsports they hadn't heard that before. Does anybody know of anyone doing this or is this really not necessary? Any info. On this topic would be awesome. Many thanks!!!
'73-914kid
How can a pressurized line collapse...? huh.gif
brant
It's a gravity line and not pressurized. I've heard both yes and no depending on who you ask.
pcar916
QUOTE(john914somers @ Jul 29 2013, 11:46 PM) *

I was told by 911design that I need to put a spring inside of my 16AN braided steel line that goes from my dry sump to the stock cooler of my 3.2 or it will cost me an engine...

I never heard of this issue. I assume this means from the stock tank. I have the same -16 AeroQuip lines on my 3.6 L and never had a problem. Where your cooler is I have AeroQuip fittings.

It's several segments with 45 and 90 degree mandrel-bent fittings and a union to make a turn you don't have in your system. I don't have a cooler there so my line has to go all the way to the engine case.

I did install a support bracket on the suspension console to hold up the line between the tank and the case. About the spring... regardless of whether it will help, it won't hurt anything.
Matt Romanowski
Some hoses are rated for suction and some are not. I would check for the hose you are running. The springs are not expensive and won't hurt anything if you didn't actually need it......
Randal
QUOTE(john914somers @ Jul 29 2013, 09:46 PM) *

I was told by 911design that I need to put a spring inside of my 16AN braided steel line that goes from my dry sump to the stock cooler of my 3.2 or it will cost me an engine. They said that the oil line will collapse Causing oil starvation. When I talked to Patrick Motorsports they hadn't heard that before. Does anybody know of anyone doing this or is this really not necessary? Any info. On this topic would be awesome. Many thanks!!!

Don't know about a spring to keep the hose from collapsing, but you'll kill an engine if you don't make sure the oil feed line is full with no air pockets. On The Beast we would push air into the top of the oil tank forcing all the air out of the lines.

And not following the procedure did cost us a motor before we had Matt Lowrance fix the plumbing.

Matt did have a special way of routing the oil feed line from the oil tank to the engine. It ran over the top of the passenger side window then back to the motor. Not sure why he did this, but it had something to do with keeping air out of the oil feed line.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 30 2013, 07:23 AM) *
It ran over the top of the passenger side window then back to the motor. Not sure why he did this, but it had something to do with keeping air out of the oil feed line.

Yupp, all the toyo spec 911s build by Jerry Woods do exactly the same thing.
But, that's mainly because they run the oil tank up front and there's a lot of line from the tank to the engine.

On a stock 914 setup the tank is completely above the line and the line is short.
shades.gif
SLITS
Gad .... Scavenge line is pressure and the only real obstructions are fittings and the oil filter ... otherwise a free dump into the tank.

Somebody is smoking better dope that I can get.
ChrisFoley
The title says scavenge oil line but the text refers to the engine supply line.
I wouldn't worry about a spring inside a scavenge line but I would certainly want one in the supply line if the car has a non stock tank in a forward location.
stownsen914
I've also heard that the feed line to the engine should have a spring. I didn't know that when I built my 914/6 track car, which has a -20 oil feed line, no spring. The feed line has suction, so it could conceivably collapse. I've heard one or two stories about this over the years. It must not be a very common occurrence though.

For clarity, I call the scavenge line the one that takes oil from the engine sump to the cooler/tank. That's a pressurized line and wouldn't need an internal spring since there shouldn't be any risk of that one collapsing.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.