Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cautiously Optimistic
lsintampa
post Aug 3 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,441
Region Association: South East States

75 914/4 2.0 FI

Been working on this project for four months now. Car came with motor out and 20 some years of resting in a barn - or so this is my belief.

After an ignition fire (from a shorted AAR), and an assortment of new parts, 5-lug conversion, new shocks, bushings all around, rotors, rebuilt calipers, and so on, etc. I'm finally coming down to the wire.

I don't have a fuel pump, but one is arriving next week.

My goal for today was to see if I had "spark". SO, we topped up the oil and tranny fluids, rigged up enough power to see if we had flame.

Pulled #3 plug and set it to ground and turned the thing over... very happy to see the plug fire!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I'm old school, carb and radiator cars only - so this is my first dance with FI and air cooled - so excuse the questions but:

1) Assume this means my coil is OK - was worried from the short a while back, but with spark, I guess we're good.
2) What can be determined for the FI parts? IE, is the ECU needed to produce spark or does it just read the pulses and supply fuel?

I did see that the power to the fuel pump jumped for a brief moment when ignition was turned to start... I was told that the ECU controls that.

I guess I'm anxious to see this thing run and I still worry about the ECU and who knows.

I'm done for a while now - until I get a fuel pump, then back into it.

Anyway, for me, seeing that spark was really encouraging. First time in four months I felt that good about this car.

Hope soon I'll be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Len

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:17 AM