Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cautiously Optimistic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 914/4 2.0 FI

Been working on this project for four months now. Car came with motor out and 20 some years of resting in a barn - or so this is my belief.

After an ignition fire (from a shorted AAR), and an assortment of new parts, 5-lug conversion, new shocks, bushings all around, rotors, rebuilt calipers, and so on, etc. I'm finally coming down to the wire.

I don't have a fuel pump, but one is arriving next week.

My goal for today was to see if I had "spark". SO, we topped up the oil and tranny fluids, rigged up enough power to see if we had flame.

Pulled #3 plug and set it to ground and turned the thing over... very happy to see the plug fire!!!! cheer.gif

I'm old school, carb and radiator cars only - so this is my first dance with FI and air cooled - so excuse the questions but:

1) Assume this means my coil is OK - was worried from the short a while back, but with spark, I guess we're good.
2) What can be determined for the FI parts? IE, is the ECU needed to produce spark or does it just read the pulses and supply fuel?

I did see that the power to the fuel pump jumped for a brief moment when ignition was turned to start... I was told that the ECU controls that.

I guess I'm anxious to see this thing run and I still worry about the ECU and who knows.

I'm done for a while now - until I get a fuel pump, then back into it.

Anyway, for me, seeing that spark was really encouraging. First time in four months I felt that good about this car.

Hope soon I'll be driving.gif

Len

jimkelly
I have a pile of ecu's - if you need one, and I have it - its yours free.

jim

Cap'n Krusty
ECU failure is right at the bottom of the worry list.

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
Jim, you're a class act for that offer buddy.

Good deal Len. Have you tried hooking the fuel pump up to 12V power and actually running gas through it yet? The dissolvative qualities of gas might unstick what's keeping it from running. You might get it to work well enough to allow you to start the car while you look for a replacement pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.