Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any sailors out there?, Check this out
Downunderman
post Dec 7 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I doubt that you have seen this before:

http://smh.com.au/news/Sport/Skipper-hopes...2182228380.html
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Dec 7 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,724

Like the article says, the kite is designed to catch the higher winds. Not a bad idea. There are other sailing craft that deploy the same strategy. Kite surfing has become a big alternative to wind surfing north of Santa Cruz. Makes for a wild ride and one hell of a job for the trimmer. Wonder if it will take hold in the Transpac.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Dec 7 2004, 07:06 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Americas cup. Now that would be cheating huh? sort of like a Catamaran against that big fat boat way back when.

Howard I was disappointed inthe thread being a REAL sailor.
Senior Chief Gunners Mate retired.
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Dec 7 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #4

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

One of my boats is a Farrier F-27 Trimaran and the guy that developed the Outleader Spinnakers has been working with a couple of the F boat skippers throughout the initial testing. I've seen them work and they are pretty cool. These kites meet rule specs as spinnakers, 3 sided and sized below the maximum class limits for most racing boats. They actually seem to be easier to fly than a symetrical or asymetric spin, just different. Not as dependent upon the apparent wind angle and getting them up into faster, cleaner air may be an advantage.

So do I have one? Nope, I singlehand most of the time and don't fly any spins for now.

Some of the America's Cup boats were testing them last time, you'll see more of these sails in the future, if they don't get regulated out of specific racing classes, kinda like spoilers, extra attach points for cages and other go fast tricks that people discover/figure out...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:03 PM