Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any sailors out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downunderman
I doubt that you have seen this before:

http://smh.com.au/news/Sport/Skipper-hopes...2182228380.html
scruz914
Like the article says, the kite is designed to catch the higher winds. Not a bad idea. There are other sailing craft that deploy the same strategy. Kite surfing has become a big alternative to wind surfing north of Santa Cruz. Makes for a wild ride and one hell of a job for the trimmer. Wonder if it will take hold in the Transpac.

-Jeff
Joe Ricard
Americas cup. Now that would be cheating huh? sort of like a Catamaran against that big fat boat way back when.

Howard I was disappointed inthe thread being a REAL sailor.
Senior Chief Gunners Mate retired.
ewdysar
One of my boats is a Farrier F-27 Trimaran and the guy that developed the Outleader Spinnakers has been working with a couple of the F boat skippers throughout the initial testing. I've seen them work and they are pretty cool. These kites meet rule specs as spinnakers, 3 sided and sized below the maximum class limits for most racing boats. They actually seem to be easier to fly than a symetrical or asymetric spin, just different. Not as dependent upon the apparent wind angle and getting them up into faster, cleaner air may be an advantage.

So do I have one? Nope, I singlehand most of the time and don't fly any spins for now.

Some of the America's Cup boats were testing them last time, you'll see more of these sails in the future, if they don't get regulated out of specific racing classes, kinda like spoilers, extra attach points for cages and other go fast tricks that people discover/figure out...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.