Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 steering colum switch removal-RESOLVED, Installing a Momo horn button
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hi all!
Just one last thing to sort out and I can get my recently purchased darkside teener inspected!
I need to install on the Momo steering wheel the PO supplied Momo horn button and hook up the horns I sourced from a 928 I had laying around.
I think I've found the black/yellow or is it black/orange wire in the front harness, but when I looked for a wire in the steering colum I didn't find one. I removed the steering wheel and figured I'd reverse engineer to try and find the green/white striped wire that needs to be attatched to the horn button.
I removed the 4 retaining screws for the switches but the switches would not come out all the way :-(
Haynes doesn't describe the exact procedure. Does anyone know the trick for removing the steering colum switches from a 1973? Keep in mind 73 had some changes and what may work for a 72 or 74 could very possibly NOT work on my 73.
And, of course if anyone happens to have the install instructions from Momo that would be of great help (although I sent them a email request just today).
Thanks everyone! We've gotten alot done sorting this car for inspection in WV :-)
Pix attatched.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 12 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Look at the hub from the stock wheel.
The ground wire should be on there.

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 12 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

The horn wire is brown/white NOT green/white. You cannot see it from there anyway. The big C shaped contact it for the horn. It touches the hub that has a wire that connects to the button you have.

Put the steering column back together. No need to take it apart.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 12 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Yes, black/yellow from the horn to the relay. Look for a Brown/White from the relay to the steering column. The concept is when the horn button is depressed the brown/white wire goes to ground blowing the horn. As Mike says, you cant see it.

The OEM contact ring (has a wire on it) screws onto the back side of the MOMO adapter with three self tapping screws included with the hub, then pass the wire thru the hole, and it hooks up to the horn button

Included with the horn button should be a snap ring which is an "expansion ring" that puts tension on the 'fingers' of the horn button to stay put inside the hub.

On the horn button- one spade connector should be labeled ground, and one is for the button itself. The ground spade should connect to the adapter. The other spade connects to the contact ring with a wire.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Aug 12 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

The switch is probably hold in there by the windshield washer rubber hoses. If you pull hard, it will come off but you'll need to remove the column covers to reassemble.
Anyway, you don't need to remove it. The horn button makes contact by grounding the C shaped stripes around the switch. You should use the canceling ring and horn contact that's on the original steering wheel. Take it off and mount it on the Momo wheel.
regarding the wires, you'll find 2 sets of wires behind the front bumper grill: one for the horn and the other for the fog lights. The wires are all there even if you don't have the lights.
The horn wire goes through a relay between the button and the horn. The horn wires in the bumper are black/yellow (+) and brown (-). The foglight wires are white/yellow (+) and brown (-).

Hope it helps.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 12 2013, 07:14 PM) *

Look at the hub from the stock wheel.
The ground wire should be on there.

I don't have the stock wheel :-(
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 12 2013, 07:27 PM) *

The horn wire is brown/white NOT green/white. You cannot see it from there anyway. The big C shaped contact it for the horn. It touches the hub that has a wire that connects to the button you have.

Put the steering column back together. No need to take it apart.

I broke a contact on the wiper switch so I will need to take it apart and repair that. How do you remove it though?
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 07:35 PM) *

Yes, black/yellow from the horn to the relay. Look for a Brown/White from the relay to the steering column. The concept is when the horn button is depressed the brown/white wire goes to ground blowing the horn. As Mike says, you cant see it.

The OEM contact ring (has a wire on it) screws onto the back side of the MOMO adapter with three self tapping screws included with the hub, then pass the wire thru the hole, and it hooks up to the horn button

Included with the horn button should be a snap ring which is an "expansion ring" that puts tension on the 'fingers' of the horn button to stay put inside the hub.

On the horn button- one spade connector should be labeled ground, and one is for the button itself. The ground spade should connect to the adapter. The other spade connects to the contact ring with a wire.

Nothing like that was included. What you see is what I have to work with.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 07:35 PM) *

I gather that I'm missing some components of the Momo installation kit? The adaptor ring which you spoke of that would mount on the bottom of the Momo hub? See pix
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 12 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #10

Achtzylinder

Do you have this OEM contact ring?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com-13632-1376354674.1.jpg)

Number four in the exploded parts view- click this link

Steering diagram
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 12 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #11

Achtzylinder

looks like the tension circlips are not for every wheel. Newer buttons just pop in
Look down about 4 pics and there is a round ring which fits between the hub and the wheel. This is the MOMO ground ring. This is where the ground wire from the horn button spade goes. (there is a spade on this ring) however you can attach the horn button ground anywhere on the hub.
So, you should have the following.
1) OEM contact ring fastened to bottom of MOMO hub with wire going up through hub to horn button.
2) Hub
3) MOMO ground ring
4) Wheel
5) possibly a round cinching ring that all the bolts go through (can see you dont need it with your wheel)
6) Horn button

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lib.store.yahoo.net-13632-1376355098.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 08:44 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com-13632-1376354674.1.jpg)

Number three in the explode parts view- click this link

Steering diagram

Dang! Nope I don't have this part. PO had mounted the Momo steering wheel but this wasn't part of his installation.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 12 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #13

Achtzylinder

place an ad in the classifieds-someone must have one, or 29$ at Auto atlanta
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 07:16 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 08:51 PM) *

looks like the tension circlips are not for every wheel. Newer buttons just pop in
Look down about 4 pics and there is a round ring which fits between the hub and the wheel. This is the MOMO ground ring. This is where the ground wire from the horn button spade goes. (there is a spade on this ring) however you can attach the horn button ground anywhere on the hub.
So, you should have the following.
1) OEM contact ring fastened to bottom of MOMO hub with wire going up through hub to horn button.
2) Hub
3) MOMO ground ring
4) Wheel
5) possibly a round cinching ring that all the bolts go through (can see you dont need it with your wheel)
6) Horn button

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lib.store.yahoo.net-13632-1376355098.1.jpg)

Extremely valuable intel! Thanks!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 12 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #15

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

A 924 ring will also fit if you can't find a 914. It mounts with the 3 tiny screw holes on the bottom of your hub.

The guts for the column should pull right out. It will be snug as there is a connector below that is a tight fit. Pull it straight up and out.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 12 2013, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 08:44 PM) *

Number three in the explode parts view- click this link

Steering diagram

Dang! Nope I don't have this part. PO had mounted the Momo steering wheel but this wasn't part of his installation.

COOL! I looked through some parts the PO sent along with the car and found THIS!
Didn't find the Momo adaptor ring though :-(
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 12 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #17

Achtzylinder

Really dont need the MOMO ground ring. Just drill and tap a small hole in some unobtrusive place in the inside bottom of the hub to connect the button ground wire ?
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 09:43 PM) *

Really dont need the MOMO ground ring. Just drill and tap a small hole in some unobtrusive place in the inside bottom of the hub to connect the button ground wire ?

Read my mind Brudda! First thing in the morning I'm gonna git my horn a workin! Yeehaw ;-)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 12 2013, 09:25 PM) *

A 924 ring will also fit if you can't find a 914. It mounts with the 3 tiny screw holes on the bottom of your hub.

The guts for the column should pull right out. It will be snug as there is a connector below that is a tight fit. Pull it straight up and out.

Crap. Had I not broken a connection on the wiper switch I'd not have to remove the entire switch to facilitate a repair :-(
Grrrr. Mebbe I can get a soildering iron on it without totally removing the bugger?
In the morning...tarred (but not feathered). Must eat and sleep.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 12 2013, 09:43 PM) *

Actually I was thinking I could just use a flat eye connector with a line on it and attatch it to one of the OEM hub mounting holes. That'll ground it. Run the wire up through the hole and connect to the ground on the button.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:56 AM