Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 51 52 53 54 55 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
Amenson
post Dec 3 2017, 08:46 AM
Post #1041

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(theer @ Dec 1 2017, 10:26 AM) *

Scott, you are a true artist when it comes to getting all that plumbing to fit. Looks awesome.

Tom

Thanks for the kind words Tom, glad you like it. I am just a hack compared to the world class guys that I study. Each part gets closer but I have a long way to go.

Cheers,
Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 10 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #1042

That's opposite lock!!

Few "minor" tasks checked off the list.

Step one of mounting the air intake...add a threaded lug.
Attached Image

Step 2, make a tab paying careful attention to leave 1 thickness of cardboard around the tube.
Attached Image

Weld, no touching except the tab and turbo coupler!!
Attached Image

Oh, ya...along the way I added a connection for the crank air oil separator.
Attached Image

The position of the lower bung on the coolant tank was not in the best place so I moved it (re-purposed on the air intake). AN all the things!
Attached Image

Welded.
Attached Image

Much better.
Attached Image

Almost done with the engine fab, just need to at the IAT threaded bung just in front of the throttle body.
Attached Image

I had anxiety every time I looked at the mess of holes in the firewall, so I got rid of them.
Attached Image

Ugly.
Attached Image

Now I can sleep at night. I can't wait to put fresh holes in the proper place.
Attached Image

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 12 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #1043

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 10 2017, 11:15 PM) *

Attached Image

I had anxiety every time I looked at the mess of holes in the firewall, so I got rid of them.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Cheers,
Scott

Liking the engine fabrication a lot, nice and tidy. Lots of work and time spent here.

I like the firewall section also. You have electrical, fuel, shifter cables, clutch hydraulic cable going back there. Forgot the go pedal cable. I have been pondering running the shifter cables up and over the engine, like they do on the Cayman / Boxsters, nice gradual bend, away from the exhaust. Can look like crap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Its thoughts like that, that keep me up at night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 12 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #1044

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Looking good. Can't wait to hear this thing run finally.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 13 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #1045

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 12 2017, 02:12 PM) *

Liking the engine fabrication a lot, nice and tidy. Lots of work and time spent here.

I like the firewall section also. You have electrical, fuel, shifter cables, clutch hydraulic cable going back there. Forgot the go pedal cable. I have been pondering running the shifter cables up and over the engine, like they do on the Cayman / Boxsters, nice gradual bend, away from the exhaust. Can look like crap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Its thoughts like that, that keep me up at night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Thanks! You also forgot the IC coolant lines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

As for the shifter cables...running them over the engine seems like a very inefficient way to get to the transmission. There is enough extra length in the Kit cables to easily pass the header on the side.

When I get back to the PorSTI I plan to run them straight back to the linkage, basically following the path of the sideshift shaft that the header was built around. Then I can get shorter cables and hopefully crisper shifting.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Dec 14 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #1046

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Looking good!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 16 2017, 11:05 AM
Post #1047

That's opposite lock!!

Yesterday was the last day in the office until after the new year so I thought that I would start the long vacation with some inspiration by test fitting the drive-train.

Fits great! Only had to remove the air filter and oil filler neck. The oil filler neck will be modified to avoid this...and because it is ugly in the stock position.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Time to pull it back out.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Dec 16 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #1048

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

So excited for you! Looks great!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 16 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #1049

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Looking good. Great fabrication work. This is going to be one hot car.

Great to see Doug's excellent work continued in similar fashion.

Doug's a great guy and helped me engineer the mounting of the first LEDs I built. I'd like to reciprocate by donating whatever LED boards are desired. Brakes; front and rear turnsignals, reverse boards, flasher. Whatever. Let me know when the time comes to install the boards and I'll send them to you.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 18 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #1050

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 16 2017, 05:54 PM) *

So excited for you! Looks great!

Thanks, looks like your car is coming together quickly also!

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 16 2017, 09:58 PM) *

Looking good. Great fabrication work. This is going to be one hot car.

Great to see Doug's excellent work continued in similar fashion.

Doug's a great guy and helped me engineer the mounting of the first LEDs I built. I'd like to reciprocate by donating whatever LED boards are desired. Brakes; front and rear turnsignals, reverse boards, flasher. Whatever. Let me know when the time comes to install the boards and I'll send them to you.

That is a very generous offer. As discussed via PM, Tom can let you know what he wants do do. Recommendation to Tom, get the euro boards with the driving lights that turn off when the blinker is activated, super cool.

I decided to leave the engine in for a few days so that I can work out a few routing/mounting details.

First up was the oil filler/AOS cap.
Gangly thing isn't it.
Attached Image

Looks about right.
Attached Image

Right where it needs to be. Took quite a bit of tweaking so that I can discretely run the octopus of OAS hoses. I set up the driver side vent to use a hose section from a stock vent hose from my bin of parts.
Attached Image

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 18 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #1051

That's opposite lock!!

Wire was on sale so I bought some...and by some I mean 100ft of every color in 3 different sizes (TXL/GXL for the nerds) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

That should cover any additions/corrections that I need to do.

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 18 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #1052

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 18 2017, 07:49 PM) *

TXL/GXL for the nerds

I thought the nerds were into M22759/32? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) In all seriousness, the motor looks great in there! And that is a boatload of wire, wow.

Have you used that style AOS before? It's a lot more compact than some of the others on the market.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 19 2017, 07:43 AM
Post #1053

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 18 2017, 10:27 PM) *

TXL/GXL for the nerds

I thought the nerds were into M22759/32? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) In all seriousness, the motor looks great in there! And that is a boatload of wire, wow.

Have you used that style AOS before? It's a lot more compact than some of the others on the market.

Only the rich nerds are into Mil spec stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I look into it every once in a while but just can't justify the cost of crimpers and components for a street car. Properly spec'd and installed automotive grade components are perfect for...automobiles.

I have not used that AOS before. Doug picked it out and I couldn't convince him to use something that I was familiar with because it was relatively expensive. We will find out!

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 19 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #1054

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 19 2017, 08:43 AM) *

Only the rich nerds are into Mil spec stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I look into it every once in a while but just can't justify the cost of crimpers and components for a street car. Properly spec'd and installed automotive grade components are perfect for...automobiles.

I have not used that AOS before. Doug picked it out and I couldn't convince him to use something that I was familiar with because it was relatively expensive. We will find out!

Just wanted to give you a hard time. That box would be a fortune in Mil Spec, especially if you added a few circular connectors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Pretty interested to see-it's certainly a nice and compact option if it works well.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 19 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #1055

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Wire was on sale so I bought some...and by some I mean 100ft of every color in 3 different sizes (TXL/GXL for the nerds) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

That should cover any additions/corrections that I need to do.

Who has it on sale (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 19 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #1056

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 19 2017, 10:21 AM) *

Del City has periodic 20% off everything sales. The most recent one was last week!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 4 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #1057

That's opposite lock!!

With the stock dash going back in, using stock switches, relays, fuses box for basic function with a dedicated fuse/relay box for the drivetrain makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately we do not have a stock harness for the car. Anyone part out a car want to sell a harness. Does not have to be 100% perfect (90% would be nice) just looking for a solid base to work back to a mostly stock harness.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 5 2018, 02:48 AM
Post #1058

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 4 2018, 05:58 PM) *

With the stock dash going back in, using stock switches, relays, fuses box for basic function with a dedicated fuse/relay box for the drivetrain makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately we do not have a stock harness for the car. Anyone part out a car want to sell a harness. Does not have to be 100% perfect (90% would be nice) just looking for a solid base to work back to a mostly stock harness.

I've got a complete harness from my 71 1.7 less the wires I snipped for the fog lights and the heater motor. Pulled it all through the grommets and all including the fuse box. I really have no idea what it's worth but you're welcome to it and I could send it out Saturday...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 7 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #1059

That's opposite lock!!

New tool day!

Attached Image

Well, not exactly. It has spent more time on "jack stand" than most 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I picked it up from a neighbor and tore it completely down and then converted the CVT speed adjustment to 3 phase VFD control.

It was 20 deg in the garage and even if I turned on the heater the tools would be freezen so I finished the lathe in the nice warm basement. Still getting it set up but it is making chips and the first part is in the chuck...replacement for the missing steering shaft lug.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 14 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #1060

That's opposite lock!!

Had a very unproductive weekend in the garage. I intended to get the steering shaft clamp fixed but when I went to finish the new part, the belt on the lathe started slipping. I had a replacement drive belt on hand but still slipped. Apparently my custom mount did not allow the motor to move enough to tighten the belt properly.

Fix.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Got it working again and then ruined the carbide insert for my cutting tool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I needed to accomplish something so I continued the stockification.

Pulled the custom wiring harness and steering column.
Attached Image

Installed the replacement steering column.
Attached Image

Stock harness should be here this week.
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 51 52 53 54 55 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:39 AM