Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 53 54 55 56 57 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
914forme
post Mar 26 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #1081

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Nice progress Scott.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 26 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #1082

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry I couldn't help you with the replacement piece. Mine was toast. Car looks much healthier with the metal back in place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 27 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #1083

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

With the center console in place and the throttle cable tube relocated to the driver side I was able to mock up the throttle cable.
Attached Image

Bad picture, you can sort of see the red wire in place of the throttle cable.
Attached Image

The length from the tip of the throttle tube to the stock Suby cable mount is 140cm.

Throttle tube is stock length.
Manifold side is all stock Suby.

Tom, is this enough info to specify the cable to 914 Rubber?

+Quote Post
theer
post Mar 28 2018, 06:56 AM
Post #1084

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

Thanks, Scott. That should do it.

Tom
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 29 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #1085

That's opposite lock!!

How do you eat an elephant?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 29 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #1086

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

With a proper three chamber Tilton fluid reservoir. But you are correct one piece at a time.

I was busy cleaning hubs tonight, one piece at a time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 30 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #1087

That's opposite lock!!

Had they day off and took the opportunity to finish the welding on the tunnel replacement.

Bad things happen when you try to push through dirty tungsten. It is amazing how a little contamination pop can ruin the arc. Proper thing to do is to stop and resharpen. this is what happens when you don't. Arc gets wide, takes more amps to melt the filler, more contamination on the tungsten, then blop...
Attached Image

Took a bid of grinding but pretty happy with the recovery.
Attached Image

Welding finished. This thing is stiff.
Attached Image

Tomorrow the squirt gun welds get ground.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 1 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #1088

That's opposite lock!!

And Done. Now you can cover it with carpet.
Attached Image

Also fixed the missing steering rack clamp stud.
Attached Image

Yet another repair that will never be noticed.
Attached Image

Time to get back to some fun stuff.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 3 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #1089

That's opposite lock!!

Moving on to final assembly.

Good place to start is the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. After pressing out the studs I realized that the flat for the stud head is too small for the bolt.
Attached Image

I thought about trying to grind it flat but it would never be really flat and if someday down the line it needed to be replaced it could not be replaced w/o modification. So I machined some step washers.
Attached Image

Check that off the list.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 11 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #1090

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been watching from the sidelines for several months now, shedding the occasional tear for how awesome this build is, and that it's in such good hands. This is truly going to be the baddest-ass 914 on the road.

I talked to Tom last night, and got him some of the info on the map in the ECU.

Scott: If you download the Hydra software, you'll be able to pull the map off of it. I uploaded the custom map to the ECU already. Here are some specifics about it.

I told the guy that wrote the map for me the engine specs, turbo specs, and that I was using an air-to-water intercooler. The also knew that it was only driving two wheels. As he told me, the map that he wrote was "close" but would need refinement to operate at peak performance. Once I got it running, he was going to VPN into the computer attached to it, and then make the final adjustments. I forget the guy I talked to, that wrote the map, but the company was Element Tuning. (I don't have access to the email account that I'd conversed with him through, or I'd let you know.)

The laptop that Tom has, has the installation file for the software on it. He should be able to get that to you. I have no clue where to download it anymore. (a quick Google search wasn't much help either.) I DO believe I'd emailed you the pin-out for the ECU a long time ago. I can dig that up again if you need it.

Hope that helps guys. I can't wait to see this thing on the road!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 11 2018, 11:34 AM
Post #1091

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Update: Found the link to download the software: http://nemesisems.com/software/
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 11 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #1092

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 11 2018, 01:26 PM) *

I've been watching from the sidelines for several months now, shedding the occasional tear for how awesome this build is, and that it's in such good hands. This is truly going to be the baddest-ass 914 on the road.

I talked to Tom last night, and got him some of the info on the map in the ECU.

Scott: If you download the Hydra software, you'll be able to pull the map off of it. I uploaded the custom map to the ECU already. Here are some specifics about it.

I told the guy that wrote the map for me the engine specs, turbo specs, and that I was using an air-to-water intercooler. The also knew that it was only driving two wheels. As he told me, the map that he wrote was "close" but would need refinement to operate at peak performance. Once I got it running, he was going to VPN into the computer attached to it, and then make the final adjustments. I forget the guy I talked to, that wrote the map, but the company was Element Tuning. (I don't have access to the email account that I'd conversed with him through, or I'd let you know.)

The laptop that Tom has, has the installation file for the software on it. He should be able to get that to you. I have no clue where to download it anymore. (a quick Google search wasn't much help either.) I DO believe I'd emailed you the pin-out for the ECU a long time ago. I can dig that up again if you need it.

Hope that helps guys. I can't wait to see this thing on the road!
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 11 2018, 01:34 PM) *

Update: Found the link to download the software: http://nemesisems.com/software/

Hi Doug, great to hear from you. I wasn't sure how you were handling someone else taking over the project. Glad that it is only occasional tears. I am not sure I would be so composed given similar circumstances. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I have been playing with the SW for quite a while. It has very good info on the wiring interface that I have been using to confirm your pin out sheet. I also wanted to get comfortable with sensor checking/scaling/debugging.

Regarding the MAP, I have not powered up the ECU so I can not download the data from it. I assumed that the MAP was on the laptop that went with the car so I had Tom send it. The MAP he sent had notes describing a completely different setup with a boost target of 41psi! He is going to send the other MAPs. I am sure we can find the one that matches with what is in the ecu, otherwise I will just start it with what is in there.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #1093

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have to think that Scott helped to save this build. While Doug did a lot of heavy lifting, there are still a ton of details that could have been a make it or break it result. I hate it when projects get pushed in a corner.
+Quote Post
theer
post Apr 11 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #1094

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

You are right about that, Mark.

If Scott hadn't agreed to help, I wouldn't have been able to do the deal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 22 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #1095

That's opposite lock!!

Fun with sheetmetal. The last major bit of fabrication on the project is to make the shroud for the radiator intake. I had mentally budgeted a day in the garage to get it done...ya, that didn't quite work out. When I made the Radiator mount I had a general idea of what I wanted to do. When it came down to actually doing it I didn't like my first idea. After several cardboard templates and much pondering I ended up reworking the radiator mount a bit to add mounting flanges. More CAD and then 2 tries per side in aluminum I think that it is almost something I am happy with.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The tops of the side pieces will be bent in to make a flange to mount the top piece to. The top piece will need to be bent to sit flat on the front lip. May have to get out the bead roller and try out the tipping dies. I am sure this will only take a few ruined pieces to get right! The shape over the radiator is not final.
Attached Image

CAD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Attached Image

The clevis for the clutch MC arrived and is a really nice piece. Unfortunately the pin is larger than the bushings in the pivot. The slot is also quite a bit wider than the pivot. I am guessing that most people just pop out the bushing and run it. Effective but not something that I could do and sleep at night. I'll enlarge the hole and make a pair of step bushings.

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 24 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #1096

That's opposite lock!!

I dug into the clutch linkage tonight. I was pleasantly surprised that the shaft came out without removing the entire pedal assembly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I was a bit harsh on the bushing in my last post. When installed it is just undersized. Once out is is right at 8mm. Pin in the clevis is 7.90mm. A shave with a 8mm reamer when installed and it would be perfect. The side to side gap is definitely excessive so I will still make a pair of step bushings.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Apr 25 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #1097

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Those cuts for the radiator sheet metal look really clean and smooth..
What are you using to make the cuts, and what guage is the metal?
I'm asking because I have to to the same thing for my project - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I'm assuming that's aluminum?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 30 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #1098

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Apr 25 2018, 03:46 PM) *

Those cuts for the radiator sheet metal look really clean and smooth..
What are you using to make the cuts, and what guage is the metal?
I'm asking because I have to to the same thing for my project - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I'm assuming that's aluminum?

It is aluminum. Thickness: 1.5mm

As for the cuts, I start with the longest straight edge on the shear cut edge of the sheet metal. Instant straight! Other edges are cut on the band saw, tidied up on the belt sander and final tweaking with a file.

Just take your time....lots of it!
And don't be afraid to start over.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 6 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #1099

That's opposite lock!!

The Porsti Power Tour thrash is over, time to get back to Grey. I spent a good part of the weekend and the 4th cleaning and organizing the garage back to a workable state. Now Grey is back on the operating table.

Attached Image

Pushing it around reminded me how much rubbing is happening. Driver side is rubbing on the inside, passenger on the outside. Need to get a base alignment done to see if they will fit perfectly in the limited space or if some trimming and precision spacing will be necessary.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jul 7 2018, 12:27 AM
Post #1100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Just wow! Keep up the good work!
I am still waiting on Dyno. Went a different way, so now I have to source some mirrors.
Then seat belts and touch up on paint.
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:41 AM