Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 60 61 62  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
ndfrigi
post Dec 31 2021, 04:15 PM
Post #1221

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2020, 05:38 AM) *

Looks like it's missing the large concave slotted washer. #8

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
theer
post Jul 15 2023, 08:54 AM
Post #1222

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

Update: Grey Matter is on its way back to Ohio!

After 5 or so years, Doug came back to reclaim his beloved.

He and his friend Jake flew in this morning and are driving (!) it back to Ohio.

It was a ton of fun while it lasted. I’m looking forward to seeing Doug finish up the interior and other bits to finally say it’s “done”.

Thanks to all for the help over the years!

Good luck & drive safe. Can’t wait to hear the complaints from my neighbors about how Doug tore outta here. I have video, but it’s too big to upload.

Attached Image

Tom
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 15 2023, 09:11 AM
Post #1223

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Good news. Glad he will be able to complete his dream. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 15 2023, 05:52 PM
Post #1224

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Spoke with Doug a week ago and he told me he was going to get it. Glad you brought it along as far as you did. What's next for you?
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 16 2023, 04:36 PM
Post #1225

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Tom: As I said…I can’t thank you enough for calling me last month to tell me you were ready to let her go. Driving it home yesterday, I learned that this car means more to me than I realized. You’re a gentleman and a true “car guy” to make sure that it found its way back to me after all these years.

When I got to Tom’s house he asked if I wanted to test drive it. I declined. I needed my first ride in the car as the owner. Apologies to your neighbors. I couldn’t help myself!

So what’s next, you ask???

I got to the garage at about 6am this morning to tear the interior out to A: dry it out from yesterday’s monsoon on the way home and B: take stock of what I want to do here.

The 911 dash wasn’t something I was ever a fan of, but after an 12h drive in it yesterday, I’m a convert. It just looks right in here. Great call, Tom.

I spent about 4h with a scrub brush and a rag cleaning her up so she can hang with the rest of the crew in my garage. We had a lot of fun all day pointing at things and oohing and ahhing at her. So many things that I remember talking to Scott on the phone about but never got to see in person.

Also: This car is a rocket ship.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
theer
post Jul 17 2023, 08:24 AM
Post #1226

Here's the video of the rocket ship taking off.. turn up the volume!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grjvNvspbuE
+Quote Post
theer
post Jul 17 2023, 08:30 AM
Post #1227

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 15 2023, 07:52 PM) *

Spoke with Doug a week ago and he told me he was going to get it. Glad you brought it along as far as you did. What's next for you?

What's next for me? Well, I still have my stock-ish 1972 914, which I've had for 35 years, or so, which I'll be spending some more time playing around with. Looking at a 5-lug conversion, getting the Webers properly tuned, etc. Just bought a combo gauge from Mark Heard...

It's my first, I'll never sell it!

+Quote Post
theer
post Jul 17 2023, 08:44 AM
Post #1228

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 16 2023, 06:36 PM) *

Tom: As I said…I can’t thank you enough for calling me last month to tell me you were ready to let her go. Driving it home yesterday, I learned that this car means more to me than I realized. You’re a gentleman and a true “car guy” to make sure that it found its way back to me after all these years.

When I got to Tom’s house he asked if I wanted to test drive it. I declined. I needed my first ride in the car as the owner. Apologies to your neighbors. I couldn’t help myself!

So what’s next, you ask???

I got to the garage at about 6am this morning to tear the interior out to A: dry it out from yesterday’s monsoon on the way home and B: take stock of what I want to do here.

The 911 dash wasn’t something I was ever a fan of, but after an 12h drive in it yesterday, I’m a convert. It just looks right in here. Great call, Tom.

I spent about 4h with a scrub brush and a rag cleaning her up so she can hang with the rest of the crew in my garage. We had a lot of fun all day pointing at things and oohing and ahhing at her. So many things that I remember talking to Scott on the phone about but never got to see in person.

Also: This car is a rocket ship.

You're welcome - glad our deal worked out as intended - That doesn't always happen!

For the new guys...Doug gave me the opportunity to step into his unfinished project at a fraction of his sunk costs, which was the only way this was ever going to work for me. Scott and Stephen (and so many others) helped finish the conversion and I took care of the easier things, such as installing the interior, dash, rubber bits, lights, bumpers, etc., etc. I had a ton of fun with it and am so glad I was able to own/drive it, if even for just a little while.

But the plan from the beginning was always to get it back to Doug for him to finish.

Best of luck with whatever direction you take it - the gray phone dials look pretty good actually!

+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 18 2023, 08:14 AM
Post #1229

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Great story, Tom, and good karma... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Glad I was able to experience a ride in that rocket, and while I somewhat regret not taking you up on your offer to drive it, it was probably for the better... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Good luck with your next endeavor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
MDTerp
post Jul 19 2023, 03:57 AM
Post #1230

Member No.: 9,075
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I was fortunate enough to drive this car briefly and it's just awesome! So nice when things work out for everyone like this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 60 61 62
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:15 AM