Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
Chris H.
post Jun 23 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #741

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Everyone gets to "that point" Doug....hang in there man. You'll get more satisfaction (and money) out of it finished. I was so determined not to have mine off the road for long but have stopped working on it a couple times and stepped away. It's good to give a project a rest sometimes.

Plus.... IT'S A FRIGGIN' JET FIGHTER PLANE 914 WITH HUNDREDS OF HORSEPOWER!!!!!! YOU ARE THE PILOT!!!!! IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THE STICKER!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 24 2014, 06:26 AM
Post #742

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. I just got REAL stuck on a few things that I need to work through on it. REALLY helps to have someone else in the garage with you. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of people in this area that could come out and help for a few days.

I'm still forever grateful to Dr. Evil for getting my wiring sorted for me. I'm sure I had a lot less into the wiring than a lot of people would have, and that made all the difference for me. I just wish I understood more about it so I could finish off what he started. Having to re-locate the ECU was a pretty major blow too.

The major things left on the list are the plumbing for the last bits of the intercooler, including the blow-off valve. I'll get out there tonight and finish the radiator for that. I also need to re-work my engine radiator tubing so it is more trustworthy. I need to get some fillers int there so I have a way to get the water INTO the hose. Past that, it's all the little bits-and-pieces that are starting to mount up.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 25 2014, 07:15 AM
Post #743

I'm getting back in the groove. Made a list of stuff I need last night. Located a bunch of them, need to go out to you all for the rest.

The two most pressing things I need:

Window-track fuzzys for the rear part of the door.
Headlight dog-bones and the rotators for the motors. Bushings too.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 25 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #744

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

914 rubber has the fuzzy's

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Rear-window-...f-2-914LDWF.htm
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 25 2014, 08:32 AM
Post #745

Great find.

Ordered!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 25 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #746

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

IIRC, I bought my headlight bushing kit from Carrie @ 914central
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 25 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #747

The metal pieces are more important. I can't finish the headlights without them, and cant finish up the front without finishing the headlights.

Got a local guy to make me 10 1"-OD stainless pieces to use on my radiator hose joints. Found 2 filler valves I can use, and with an hour of work tonight, I should have that all ready to go. After that, I need to re-wire things up and get a blow-off valve involved somehow. That should let me start the motor, which would motivate the hell out of me to finish this thing.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 26 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #748

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 25 2014, 10:13 AM) *

The metal pieces are more important. I can't finish the headlights without them, and cant finish up the front without finishing the headlights.

Got a local guy to make me 10 1"-OD stainless pieces to use on my radiator hose joints. Found 2 filler valves I can use, and with an hour of work tonight, I should have that all ready to go. After that, I need to re-wire things up and get a blow-off valve involved somehow. That should let me start the motor, which would motivate the hell out of me to finish this thing.

We'll be expecting a video, soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 26 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #749

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I dropped you a PM about the head light parts.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jun 26 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #750

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 26 2014, 04:57 PM) *

I dropped you a PM about the head light parts.

I'm dropping you a PM about letting Drevil work on your wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 27 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #751

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 26 2014, 09:01 PM) *

I'm dropping you a PM about letting Drevil work on your wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

Mike came out a month ago to help...and did a LOT of great work. I fear I need a little more help in that department to get it all done though. Perhaps I can get him out "one more time" when I get closer to having it done. I'd love to get the rest of the interior put together first though. That way, there's just 'buttoning up' to do and he can be there for the first start.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 27 2014, 02:34 PM
Post #752

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Scotty is just being an ass hat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I have some time I might be able to come out. Main thing is I have a back log of transmissions to build that need to be cleared out first.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 28 2014, 07:26 AM
Post #753

No worries. I'm a way out from needing more help in that department.

I'm going to concentrate on the interior and seals over the next week or so. The engine stuff can be worked out by people smarter than me after a spell. IF I can get the interior done, I'll feel like I'm making progress so that'll help mentally.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 29 2014, 06:30 AM
Post #754

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I was in Cleveland again Friday but only long enough to pick up the Mercedes. I wanted to come check the progress but the phasers in my truck went south. I was lucky to make it home. Remember 9-14-14
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 30 2014, 06:34 AM
Post #755

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 29 2014, 08:30 AM) *

I was in Cleveland again Friday but only long enough to pick up the Mercedes. I wanted to come check the progress but the phasers in my truck went south. I was lucky to make it home. Remember 9-14-14

Honestly, it's not visably further along than the last time you saw it. I've done a few things here and there, but I need to start hitting it hard this week. Like I said: Interior is next. I'm not going to feel good about it until I tackle that the way I'd intended.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 30 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #756

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just make sure the seats are easily removed and the dash is not blocking up the wiring as it will make finishing up that part a crap load more difficult. Send me a list of things you still need done as far as wiring and I can get a plan together.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 30 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #757

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 30 2014, 10:36 AM) *

Just make sure the seats are easily removed and the dash is not blocking up the wiring as it will make finishing up that part a crap load more difficult. Send me a list of things you still need done as far as wiring and I can get a plan together.

Understood!

I'll put a plan together, but it'll be a bit before I have my head around what is needed. Now that you 'know' the car, we'll be able to make quick work of everything.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 30 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #758

The Rotten Dr has a point. The interior should be the last thing to go in for several reasons. Besides, you can throw it in quickly once you've got things as you want them. Just saying..........
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 1 2014, 06:25 AM
Post #759

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 30 2014, 03:04 PM) *

The Rotten Dr has a point. The interior should be the last thing to go in for several reasons. Besides, you can throw it in quickly once you've got things as you want them. Just saying..........

It's more about building the pieces needed. My center console needs to be constructed, the dash is completely custom work, and there's a lot of padding and covering that needs to happen. The seats will be the last thing to go in, well after the rest is done. The wiring for the tach, speedo, lighting and all that is already in place, so there's no reason to not get started on the instrument clusters.

I got to the garage yesterday afternoon to get started and it was just too damn hot to do anything. I need a fan in there or something. At the very least, I should only work on it at night after the sun goes down. It's just brutal right now.

I am waiting on a few more parts that should arrive in the next few days. That'll let me at least get the headlights in there so I can check that off my list. Small victories is the key for me right now. not looking at the big picture all the time. One thing at a time...
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 15 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #760

I've literally lost almost all motivation with this right now. Sorry for not having any updates. "Life" threw me a bunch of curve-balls recently and it may be a while. I'm super pissed that I can't get it on the road, because I think it would help my mental state to be able to drive it. I'm just 'stuck' on too many things right now and would need someone experienced to come in and fix things so I can keep moving.

Ugh.
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 02:58 PM