Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
effutuo101
post Jul 21 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #761

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Keep at it Doug. Life will sort itself out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 22 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #762

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My wife moved out with the kids last week, so the car has been the last thing on my mind lately. Really sucks, as this would be perfect to drive right now as a "pick me up" that I sure could use.

I've put a few feelers out to people that may be able to help me get the mechanical stuff sorted, but everyone is too busy right now. The things holding me from getting it running are:

Radiator Hose burps and fill valves
Proper routing of the oil lines
Blow-Off valve fabrication. (I can't believe I forgot about this one.)
Intercooler plumbing
Re-wire the ECU (This is the easiest piece once everything else is done.)

After that, it should fire right up. Getting that list hammered out has proven to be the death of me though.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jul 22 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #763

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

I might be able to make a trip up and help you out
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jul 22 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #764

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Dude... I have no experience with any of that but I have some skills.

My schedule is always a train wreck but you say when and I am there.

Stay strong man... Life is a series of speed bumps.

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 23 2014, 06:33 AM
Post #765

Thanks for the support guys.

If I knew where to start, or even knew where to start, I'd invite you all up in a heartbeat.

I think the air-flow piping for the intercooler and such is the biggest issue for me. Welding has never been my strong-suit, and certainly the number of bends and breaks isn't helping. To weld in the BOV in the limited space I have isn't making things any easier.

Ugh...I wish there was someone I could cart the car off to for a week to finish this stuff for me so I can get to the interior, which I'm actually looking forward to.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jul 23 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #766

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 23 2014, 04:33 AM) *

Thanks for the support guys.

If I knew where to start, or even knew where to start, I'd invite you all up in a heartbeat.

I think the air-flow piping for the intercooler and such is the biggest issue for me. Welding has never been my strong-suit, and certainly the number of bends and breaks isn't helping. To weld in the BOV in the limited space I have isn't making things any easier.

Ugh...I wish there was someone I could cart the car off to for a week to finish this stuff for me so I can get to the interior, which I'm actually looking forward to.

Just remember we are here if you need to call all hands on deck!
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jul 23 2014, 07:04 AM
Post #767

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry to hear about the life events unfolding for you.

I got frustrated, stuck and demotivated more than a few times during my restoration. In my experience, I was better off stepping away from the project for a bit when it happened, rather than working pissed off. Most times, I gained some clarity and perspective during the break.

Good luck with everything Doug.

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 23 2014, 09:03 AM
Post #768

My biggest frustration is that I could really use the "pick me up" of driving it to work every day, but at this rate, I won't finish until the snow flies...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 24 2014, 09:30 AM
Post #769

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 23 2014, 08:03 AM) *

My biggest frustration is that I could really use the "pick me up" of driving it to work every day, but at this rate, I won't finish until the snow flies...

Hell Doug, the time issue is a PITA for all of us. I think you will "enjoy" your build now that you have removed the time constraints you had imposed upon yourself. You ain't no Chip Foose and Overhauling Inc. And given our skill sets I think 1-2 years is totally reasonable. Onward thru the Fog my good man, onward. Just my 2 cents.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 24 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #770

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

It's a hobby Doug. You'll spoil the fun and enjoyment if you push it. How do you eat an elephant?...
+Quote Post
CrashDown
post Jul 24 2014, 11:16 PM
Post #771

Fake Carbon Fiber MASTA!

Member No.: 10,453
Region Association: Northern California

this is an amazing build.......
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 25 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #772

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 24 2014, 11:32 PM) *

It's a hobby Doug. You'll spoil the fun and enjoyment if you push it. How do you eat an elephant?...

+1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yeah I think I FINALLY learned that myself. Hey I was thinking since you travel a bit Doug....might be nice to see a couple of turbo conversions in person so you can physically see how the turbos are plumbed up. DBCooper's is proven. Even though it's an Audi, I'd look at Mike Bellis's. Plus he can tell you a lot about turbo'ing and such. There's another blue one out there that's real nice. Done by Renegade Hybrids. Maybe stop at RH if you are ever in Vegas...

BTW if you had cash and wanted it done...RH does that all the time. I'm sure it's pricey...
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 25 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #773

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

+2

Don't worry about leaving the car in the garage until you're ready to get back to it. It won't go anywhere, it'll actually marinate, get better, and will be ready for you when you're ready for it. I've been through the divorce thing too, and it's a process, really is those steps of grieving. May not believe it now, but things will get better. For real. To the point where you can't even imagine any more how you got through the last few crappy years you were married.

A little later I'm on my way over to see my granddaughter and chase my son through the Santa Cruz hills in his 914/WRX. Sourdough, Crab Louis and good wine in the redwoods, a perfect weekend, and you know what? I won't think of the ex even once, but if I do it will be in amazement at how good things have been since she's been gone. And believe me, the kids will understand too.

And if/when you're ever in California, any part, north or south, you're more than welcome to take my car out, thrash it. That should recharge things on the car front. Whenever you're ready.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jul 25 2014, 08:40 AM
Post #774

Advanced Member

Hey Doug! The stuff to plumb my turbo should be done next week. I will send you pictures here as soon as I have them. Oil and collant.
Your build has kept me inspired. Now I can return the favor!
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 25 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #775

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Put the interior together. Hell, I put mine together and. Know I need to pull it apart again to do the throttle cable and shift rod. Let's face it, it will be a fun project. As you're assembling it, keep in mind that you need to make it easy to pull back apart. Get some black vinyl for gluing in where the body isn't covered by carpet. Takes time to cut out all strips
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jul 29 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #776

Thanks again for all the support. I'm starting to get a bug up my butt to finish this thing. I still want to drop it off to have someone else work on the motor. I've come too far to have it screwed up by my "below average" mechanic skills.

I have a few people lined up right now. If I'm not under the gun, this should go a lot smoother.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 29 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #777

Member No.: 73

I'm with you Doug...there were a couple of things that most people think are pretty do-able in the conversion process but I DON'T so I paid someone to do it right (or someone did it for me just to be nice, like Kent). Nothing wrong with that.
+Quote Post
TeckniX
post Jul 29 2014, 12:14 PM
Post #778

Member No.: 17,699
Region Association: None

Doug,
Sorry to hear about the current curve ball, the great thing about these forums is you have supporters, passionate people and gurus always willing to help.

I'm about 3hrs from you, but willing to come up to knock out a couple of things.

For the BOV, you could snatch a simple bov pipe for cheap and simply put it in-line with the rest of the piping.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-17699-1406657735.1.jpg)

You should have enough room between the turbo and the water-cooler to get it mounted.
I'm sure there's a lot of discussion around placement, and this made sense to me:
http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?navsel...articletoview=7
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 29 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #779

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

There ya go Doug; the answer to your prayers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Looks like you'll finish before Chris an I, now. Call this man and handcuff him to your engine bay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jul 29 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #780

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TeckniX @ Jul 29 2014, 11:14 AM) *

Doug,
Sorry to hear about the current curve ball, the great thing about these forums is you have supporters, passionate people and gurus always willing to help.

I'm about 3hrs from you, but willing to come up to knock out a couple of things.

For the BOV, you could snatch a simple bov pipe for cheap and simply put it in-line with the rest of the piping.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-17699-1406657735.1.jpg)

You should have enough room between the turbo and the water-cooler to get it mounted.
I'm sure there's a lot of discussion around placement, and this made sense to me:
http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?navsel...articletoview=7

Nice!

Ok Doug, i need my ordered parts to arrive and about another 2k to get my car back on the road. Do we have a race?
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:49 AM