Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 42 43 44 45 46 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
okieflyr
post Mar 26 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #861

9fauxteen

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

You may want to consider rubber mounts or insulators on the radiator mounting points. Inevitably any flexing going on up there may transfer to the radiator and give problems down the road.
Nice build by the way....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 26 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #862

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Your radiator looks really hard to shroud. As it sits, all the air will go around it and not through it. Thus you will overheat.

I would remount the rad tilted forward and figure out a different way to secure it. Perhaps vertical bracing to the same mounting studs?

The hoses rising behind the fuel tank form an air trap and you will need to have a bleeder on both hoses.

I love the size of the radiator! I need to find one that size if I do not go with a Boxster setup.

Make sure that no air can get around the radiator at all. I'm no expert but I can tell you that my conversion runs way way too cold; 160°F. Not many of us can say that. My radiator is almost twice your size and completely shrouded and sealed.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 27 2015, 06:56 AM
Post #863

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have rubber grommets in the radiator setup, so it's "floating" now. But I DO think I need to change it. That's on the list now that the weather has broken.

I used a vw scirocco all aluminium 2-pass radiator. It fits down there nicely, and should be more than enough to cool the EJ20. Shrouding will be important...for sure.
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Mar 27 2015, 07:24 AM
Post #864

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

I admit it I love you radiator. Its small compact, the question is will it cool a 2.5 L?
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 27 2015, 08:29 AM
Post #865

I forget the unit of measurement for radiators, but this was the same as the one that cooled the V8 that was in the car previously. It's only a little smaller. An all aluminium, double-pass radiator is the way to go....or so I was told by the guys at Summit Racing where I got it. They said it'd be "more than enough" for what I was using it for. It's also larger than the stock WRX radiator.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 14 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #866

I hate to do it, but I think I need to let this project go. It's been 2y and I'm no closer to having time to finish it. Ugh.

Unless there's someone that would be willing to drive to Cleveland, pick it up, and finish the mechanicals for me. (I'd happily pay.)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 14 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #867

Member No.: 73

Hey Doug! Nice to hear from you! I know Brad Mayeur in Peoria could finish it. McMark is in Grand Rapids now. Don't let it go man. Hate to see all that work go unrewarded. What's left to do at a high level?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 15 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #868

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 14 2016, 09:52 AM) *

I hate to do it, but I think I need to let this project go. It's been 2y and I'm no closer to having time to finish it. Ugh.

Unless there's someone that would be willing to drive to Cleveland, pick it up, and finish the mechanicals for me. (I'd happily pay.)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I have done exactly that several times, what kind of time frame are we talking? I need to finish my car though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) PM me if you want to go over the particulars of what needs completed still.
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 15 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #869

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 14 2016, 06:52 AM) *

At this point, try to find someone to come in and help, wasnt the engine builder going to finish it for you? Its a soul crushing moment to sell a project off thats 90% completed, but I think every one of us has been in that position or have had that feeling. I know it all too well myself
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 15 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #870

Stephen could finish it if he has the time. The body work is all done and it's painted. It's mainly dealing with the wiring harness, plumbing the turbo and getting the engine fired, finishing the interior. I just can't remember where he left off.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 15 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #871

Thanks guys. I've reached out to a few people, and we'll see what I can find. MY hope is that I can send this off on a few-month vacation to someone that can help me get the mechanicals across the finish line.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 15 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #872

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You might want to hide your welder from Stephen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 15 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #873

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 15 2016, 07:01 PM) *

You might want to hide your welder from Stephen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Hey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I guess I deserve that one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jun 15 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #874

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

This is my first time reading through your thread. This is an amazing build! Now is not the time to get rid of it!

Unless you want to sell it to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

j/k .... sort of.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 16 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #875

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I think about when you started this project and all that you've bared your soul about with personal matters and such. You've put so much work, imagination, and raw emotion of your own into this build that getting rid of it now may just further the funk you've been through. Finishing this would lift your spirits and give you the reward of driving that would only help you feel more accomplished (not that you're not accomplished already). To state a partial line from one of my favorite 80s movies; "You can't give up now... it's a moral imperative!"
Yoo can doo eet!!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Aug 26 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #876

So, Scott came to Cleveland last weekend to take a look at helping me finish this thing off. Holy mother of shit is his car cool! I had no clue what kind of power these Subie engines are capable of. Wow.

So I'm putting together a punch-list of things that need done, and we're going to see what it'd take to get this thing in the works again.

Just giving you all an update. My goal, once again, is to drive it to Hershey next year. Let's see if I can make this one a reality!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 26 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #877

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Go Doug Go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 26 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #878

Awesome Doug! Glad to hear it. Hershey next year is a good goal. Take your time. Everything I rushed I have re-done.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 26 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #879

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

That's great to hear! I know it's discouraging to table a project like that when you were so close to actually being able to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Look forward to seeing you get this on the ground ! If you can get to Hershey next year maybe you can make something like Okteenerfest in the fall too!
Keep us updated on progress-
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 26 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #880

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 26 2016, 11:02 AM) *

So, Scott came to Cleveland last weekend to take a look at helping me finish this thing off. Holy mother of shit is his car cool! I had no clue what kind of power these Subie engines are capable of. Wow.

So I'm putting together a punch-list of things that need done, and we're going to see what it'd take to get this thing in the works again.

Just giving you all an update. My goal, once again, is to drive it to Hershey next year. Let's see if I can make this one a reality!

Narrow rear tires really amplify the insanity. With the meats you have, you will be upgrading your turbo next winter.

Look forward to working on it!

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 42 43 44 45 46 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:11 AM