Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #770 (912E) Project thread *Tangerine Cooling System installed!)
porschetub
post Nov 30 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #261

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

[quote name='Steve Pratel' date='Nov 4 2015, 01:14 PM' post='2260616']
UPDATE

Well, 500 miles into the engine already, NO major issues. I adjusted the valves and changed out the break in oil at 300 miles, then readjusted timing and idle. Also installed the Oxygen sensor, and ran the AFM for the first time.

AFM - Basically ranges from 12-13:1 for average running and idle and when cruising in top gear light throttle hovers around 14.1-14.5 when at a very light throttle, but mostly is right at 13-13.5. I THINK This is good for an air cooled motor, you want it a little rich. Correct? FULL throttle pedal to metal is 10.5 ish. At least that is from memory. I know the MAGIC # is

I initially set the timing off the 'factory' red line, but on readjust used the mark I made for TRUE TDC, which is one fan blade off. Motor runs as smooth but feels better overall, about a 3-5 degree difference (less) than the red mark.

As the motor has broken in and the 30W oil out, the engine cranks much faster. Still think the starter is a bit slow and weak, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Running Hi Test (94), didn’t want to risk a lower octane at start. When the tank needs refilling, will try 5 gallons of mid then regular. I am also adding a bottle of seafoam or Lucas to every tank given the idiocy of environmental weenies and ethanol. I need to see if there is a PURE gas station near me. I had a great farmers CO-OP in VA....

Motor is running very well, at least seems so, idles strong, pulls well from 2,000, and STRONG from 2500-5000, even feels great the last 500 RPB, but just a little less urgent in power.

Looking forward to meeting up with a few people, letting them drive/listen and maybe drive so I can compare. I know it probably seems retarded to you guys, but I have never driven an Air Cooled Porsche, 911, 912, 914 or 912E, so I guess I have nothing to compare to, but it really sounds and feels good, and except for a VERY small hesitation that comes on when after holding in 3rd or 4th and sustained RPM, the first SLIGHT pressing/feathering of the gas causes a lean (15:1) and slight hesitation. A quick stab at the throttle leaves NO hesitation, just the slight. I wanted to go to cars & coffee this weekend, but will be in Seattle all day at a training conference.

Overall I am happy, look forward to getting sound insulation and carpet and seats in! The singer sewing machine sound (silky) takes some getting used to and the unmistaken VW mechanical sound is present, but I think that is the nature of a flat 4..... I REALLY like the sound the Tangerine Exhaust makes.....

ISSUE 1: My thermostat does not expand............. I bought one of those ones from the guy who makes new ones, forgot the name, will look it up and contact him. Flaps are open 3/4 for now so things don’t get too toasty

ISSUE 2: The Transmission is LOUD........ and once warmed up is very noisy when idling in neutral. Is also balky, making shifting back in to 1st a challenge on occasion. DEFINATELY a Dinosaur....... I initially put cheap dead dino oil in it so I could run the first few hundred miles to clean out any rust, or debris from sitting for 20 years. I DIDDNT do anything to the transaxle but clean the outside and change oil. Will add the slick expensive stuff soon.

PLS feel free to wreigh in with some wisodm, I am all ears.....

The 915 gearbox was never very cultured,Swepco gearoil is proven to smooth out the shifting and is better for the sycromesh,never head of it making them quieter.
The noise of the transmission has been well documented since the cars where new.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 6 2015, 11:30 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Re-assembled and installed my door panels and test fit rear deck.

Using the original stock Top Trim pieces (Cork), a set of Door handles, arm rests and pockets I bought at Hershey, new Door Panels, aluminum door handles and window crank. Speakers are Infinity Kappas, 6.5 in doors and 5.25 in rear deck. The Infinity speakers are VERY nice units, the mid/tweeter is directional, and you can point it for better dispersion of mids and highs. Also have a hifreq filter switch built into the tweeter. THe only thing I'm not thrilled about is how big the grills are, could have easily been 1/2 the height, would have looked far more refined. Isnt too bad on the doors, but look a bit wonky on the rear deck.

Installing a Tan Carpet Set from Robert Budd at Classic 9, lined the whole rear engine firewall with hush mat, and then sections of the floor to cut down on vibration, and will cover the whole floor and rear seat/firewall with 3/8 closed cell foam from super sound control foam with a self adhesive back. Don't think I will do the center tunnel or side rockers, just the floor and rear areas. COMING ALONG!

Right Door. THe pull handle, arm rests and pockets are from an 80's model, MUCH better than the original 70's era pockets. Much easier to install and more sturdy.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-16283-1449466226.1.jpg)

Left door. I need to align the dash pad, was missing the anchor bolt on the left side.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-16283-1449466226.2.jpg)

A bit of a panorama, still need to install Head unit (Using Blaupunkt Toronto 420)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-16283-1449466227.3.jpg)

Test fit the rear deck, am considering not using the rear seatbacks, just the seat bottom. I'm lining the whole area with 3/8" closed cell foam, so will be more comfortable.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-16283-1449466228.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 18 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #263

Progress continues, including some revisions. I diddnt like the location of the AFM, was blocked by the steering wheel, so I removed the left dash vent, replaced it with the original clock, and moved the AFM to the center gauge cluster where the small VDO clock was. Much happier in this location.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Making progress on the interior, got my carpet set from classic 9 and started installing. Tell ya what.... SOMEONE needs to make a premoulded set for this car.... I covered the rear firewall and most of the floor with hushmat, then a pressure sensitive (self adhesive) 3/8 closed cell foam. Hopefully will mute much of the harshness.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 20 2016, 12:12 AM
Post #264

deleted double post...... duh
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 20 2016, 12:17 AM
Post #265

I had a Dream............... Well, I had to give credit to Dr. King. Were it not for the day off yesterday, I wouldn't have been able to complete the carpet set and a few other essential pieces. Still need to order visors and rear seat belts, install the door light switches and trouble shoot a few things, but real progress. I am going to try to do a dummys (cause that's what I am lol) guide to carpet install, I made some significant mistakes during the install, most were recoverable, but not all. Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 20 2016, 12:23 AM
Post #266

Even though I still need to mount the passenger seat, glue in the rear seat cushions, and cut in the seat belt rubber boot, I couldn't resist taking the car for a long drive to see how my sound insulation efforts went.

The Lord was good to me, the rain stopped between about 1pm & 5pm allowing me about a 3 hour drive in and around the Lacy/Olympia/Rainier areas. Prior to this I had driven about 500 miles with no sound insulation and the engine was loud and transmission even louder. I layered the entire firewall and the flat panels of the floorpan with 2 boxes of hushmat and then covered it all with 3/8" closed cell foam. With the carpet set, I am at about 38lbs for carpet and sound insulation.

The results? At start and Idle, the engine and transmission are very well muted, and I hear the engine sound more from the vents above the rear window than through the firewall or tunnel area. VERY happy about this. Road noise is well muted, though at speed I am wishing I had used CSF or hushmat on the roof, as this is where most of the noise comes from except at WOT and holding at 4000-5000 RPM. The engine booms when holding at 4500 RPM and higher, and the noises through the firewall and interior with all the sound insulation is a very nice muted growl and induction, with a little exhaust as well. The clatter of the gearbox is gladly 99% GONE.

I'm thinking the ride height is just right. I was thinking of dropping the rear a bit more, but I think this works well. I am super impressed at the combination of Rebel Racing suspension bushings and the Sachs Shocks. The car is well damped, extremely responsive, smooth and has no harshness, clunks or rattles. It is solid as a bank vault and I would say it is just a tad softer than the M3 in its ability to soak up bumps rumble strips and those awful recessed reflectors.

The motor continues to run flawlessly, there is a very slight fuel starvation issue with light throttle increases when at high RPM's (i.e. when at 4500 rpm in 3rd gear a very slight throttle advance will lean the fuel mixture (shows 16-17 on AFM) and a slight hesitation. If I get deeper in the throttle it is fine, cruising it is fine, full throttle it is fine, routine driving is fine, its just at this point. I want to play with the timing a bit to see if that will help. The engine is very responsive, and top gear acceleration is adequate, though a downshift wakes things up. Power is a relative thing, and this is NOT a muscle car, but no slouch, makes 60 in 8.5 and keeps pulling strong at 100 in 4th. Good enough, and this car in NOT about drag racing it is about the total experience. I can't wait to take it on its first drive up to MT Rainier or the Olympic Peninsula.

I cant wait to see how it drives and handles after a proper alignment, everything is set neutral (to the eye). Even so, the car tracks beautifully, though the steering is a bit slow to respond and there is more body lean than I'd like. Then again, my daily driver is an E36 M3. After I get the car aligned (this weekend) and I drive it a bit, I amy opt for a thicker front roll bar and rear bar, but I dont know. I have to let the car talk to me a bit.

The Stereo and Infinity Speakers ROCK. Though the rear speakers lack the necessary depth for full bass, they balance out enough of the high tones to make the sound feel rich and full and the 6.5 Infiniti Kappas in the doors are incredible and take all the 50W head has to offer with full bass and balanced sound, so no need for an underseat subwoofer...... Besides I'm 51 you know? Dr. Drey has no pull on me....... That said, I wouldn't recommend these speakers unless they were going to be mounted behind a grill. THe Kappa grils stick out about 3//4" and IMO, arent bery aesthicially pleasing. Only one rattle in the interior, the car is very solid.

I'm very happy with the gauge changes, the clock looks great, and I have clear view of the AFM/volt meter. The Mom wheel makes the 50-70 area of the speedo unreadable, but oh well. I may eventually invest in one of those momo offsets, but I'm not too worried about it. The right side controls of the Stereo are just beyond comfortable reach, though the rest of the controls are natural in their feel and response. The single One nice surprise was just opening the windows allowed air to come out of the dash vent and the now single vent outlet on the fan feels much stronger. I'm a bit of a symmetry fanatic, so it is hard to see the dash unbalanced, but I much prefer clear view of the gauges and a stronger airflow from the vent.

All in all I am beyond psyched.... Army Life and 15 years of war has burned much of my ability to truly 'feel' but yesterday I actually had a very nice moment of elation. I just hunted out back roads, and found these horses. I stopped to take a picture to send to my girls and while doing it the horses started dancing and jumping around. I got a bit nervous one was going to jump the fence.

Many people to thank, and I will wait for that until I am finished. Still need sun visors, trunk carpeting, and a few other odds and ends.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 20 2016, 01:54 AM
Post #267

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Well, where's the LIKE button?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jan 20 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #268

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Good photo. Your car looks great. The color of the horses goes well with it. Thanks for all of the updates and photos of the build. Congratulations!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 20 2016, 07:57 AM
Post #269

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Steve, you live in Washington not the mid Atlantic region? The car looks swell! Ride height is perfect from my perspective. Yes, yesterday was a nice break in the weather. This am looks to be nice too. Go for a drive if you can.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 20 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #270

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 20 2016, 09:57 AM) *

Steve, you live in Washington not the mid Atlantic region? The car looks swell! Ride height is perfect from my perspective. Yes, yesterday was a nice break in the weather. This am looks to be nice too. Go for a drive if you can.

I live in Dupont, just about equal distance between Tacoma and Olympia, assigned to JBLM. I was in Alexandria VA
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 20 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #271

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Next time you drive east on 512 wave. I live about 1 mile south near the canyon road exit.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jan 20 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #272

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Beautiful. Congratulations on getting her on the road.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 20 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #273

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 20 2016, 10:50 AM) *

Next time you drive east on 512 wave. I live about 1 mile south near the canyon road exit.

Roger that, will have to get together some time.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Feb 12 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #274

Progress continues, trying to put a few miles on the car, fine tune the carbs, and make adjustments for daily driving. REally like how the car is sitting and looking. I'm thinking the foglights may go, they are too big.

Attached Image

The COCO mats finally came, took 3 weeks, but they look great and are super high quality.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I initially set the motor up with ITG filters and 1.5" Velocity stacks. I also picked up a set of RAMFLO filters at a swap meet for $25. Am trying them out. The main difference seems to be sound, the RAMFLO's without V stacks is much quieter at WOT. Midrange also seems a bit weaker without the V Stacks, but may be related to other tuning issues.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Mar 6 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #275

Rounding the corner, down to little items and refinements. Installed the trunk carpet and put a rubber mat down, put all my hambone stickers on, even did a grocery run. It was nice on Saturday so after a drive I washed the car, and parked next to the M3. Funny, the 3 never looked stodgy before. I'm definitely going to swap out the Hellas for something smaller, will put them on the Jeep.

And now that I have some more spare time on my hands its time to show the 3 some love. Replaced the cracked and peeling wood center console with a black piece. GOt it from ECS tuning, didn't have the cut out for the power locks, but a few seconds with the dremel fixed that.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
RenoRoger
post Mar 6 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #276

Member No.: 12,370
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 6 2016, 07:34 PM) *

Rounding the corner, down to little items and refinements. Installed the trunk carpet and put a rubber mat down, put all my hambone stickers on, even did a grocery run. It was nice on Saturday so after a drive I washed the car, and parked next to the M3. Funny, the 3 never looked stodgy before. I'm definitely going to swap out the Hellas for something smaller, will put them on the Jeep.

And now that I have some more spare time on my hands its time to show the 3 some love. Replaced the cracked and peeling wood center console with a black piece. GOt it from ECS tuning, didn't have the cut out for the power locks, but a few seconds with the dremel fixed that.

Congratulations! A beautiful build!

I noticed that your rear windows swing out. Did you do the modification?? I own a 912E. It is bone stock and the rear windows are fixed. How about your front wing windows? Do they swing out? Mine are fixed.

RenoRoger
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 7 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #277

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Mar 6 2016, 11:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 6 2016, 07:34 PM) *

I noticed that your rear windows swing out. Did you do the modification?? I own a 912E. It is bone stock and the rear windows are fixed. How about your front wing windows? Do they swing out? Mine are fixed.

RenoRoger

M7 '76 911 rear windows are popout's like Steve. On the '76 the vent windows are fixed.

Our cars are twins! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Mar 7 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #278

Thanks guys, has been a ton of fun. This was my first P car. WONT be my last.

I was just about ready to do a hotrod/modern handling restore on an 86 Olds 442 when I found this 5 years ago, its safe in a garage back east. I'm ready for the next project ;-) Been looking at several options, want to go Targa or convertible, but I'm only 6 years from retirement with at least one more deployment to AFG/IRQ and likely a European Assignment, so will likely hold unless I come across a great deal on a long nose targa. I want to retire with a modern Targa or Convertible.

As for the rear windows, The PO added the pop out windows in 1980. Vent windows are fixed.

Dude, I love your light blue Targa!

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 7 2016, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Mar 6 2016, 11:31 PM) *

RenoRoger

M7 '76 911 rear windows are popout's like Steve. On the '76 the vent windows are fixed.

Our cars are twins! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Mar 22 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #279

As part of my rebuild, I initially installed an oil pressure safety switch to run the fuel pump, this way if I leave the key on or the car stalls or am in an accident the pump won't continue to pump fuel into the engine compartment.

I kept the original wiring and fuel pump relays which activated the pump when in start and when there was a signal from the airflow sensor. I initially installed a Normally Open Oil Pressure switch, and when the oil pressure hit 4 lbs the contact would close and keep the pump running.

The only problem with this is that when the car sat for 2-3 days most of the fuel would drain out of the fuel lines and back towards the tank, essure. This meant that the car would often stall immediately on letting off the key because the pressure in the fuel lines wasn't up, and if the motor didn't crank enough to build oil pressure.

To prevent this, what I was doing was jumping the fuel pump, listen to the fuel fill the bows, then go and start the car, all was good. This was kind of a pain. I could have just jumped the relay and called it done, but that left me in the always on if the key was on. So I started doing some research and found this fuel pump controller http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html among others.
The advertisement says the pump runs 3 seconds at initial key on, but mine runs 10 seconds then shuts off. This allows proper priming of the fuel system, and will shut off if the engine stalls because it gets a signal from the negative tach lead.

Of course I have no idea how long this thing will work, so I also built in a jumper to the wiring, so if this controller decides to crap out I can just plug & be back in business. Not bad for $60, I got mine cheaper on Amazon, and I am sure there are other options.

If you are converting to carbs and dont want to run the fuel pump 'on' all the time with the ignition, this is a great solution. Easy to wire in and go.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 22 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #280

Member No.: 10,428

Your car looks awesome Steve! Very well done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:17 AM