Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #770 (912E) Project thread *Tangerine Cooling System installed!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Bulldog9
I'm restoring a 912E, total gut & rebuild. New to this forum, been on the 912 board and several others for a while. I've never worked on an air cooled car engine before, or VW/Porsche of any type, so this has been a real learning process. Been lurking here for a while, figured it was time to post. I've been on 912BBS since 2011, for those interested, this link goes back to day 1. http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread.php?43391-770-Update
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
76-914
welcome.png
PanelBilly
WElcome.
JawjaPorsche
We need pictures!
welcome.png
aharder
welcome.png
Drums66
....WELCOME...man!
JoeSharp
welcome.png
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
gunny
welcome.png
krazykonrad
welcome.png
green914
welcome.png
Bulldog9
OK, here is a quick journey, focus mainly on the motor. Car was basically abandoned in the woods, generations of mice & bugs & Lord knows what reproducing. Is a total gut and rebuild, but I got the car for nothing and I'm having fun...

First couple are of the car, will follow with motor.
Bulldog9
more of car overall
Bulldog9
As is evident the car is basically solid, just filled with junk, and moss and mold and water and such. The bags in last post was the first round of trash I pulled out, next was the carpet, headliner, door panels, etc. Basically is a gut down to the frame. So far the wiring harnesses looks untouched by varmints.
Bulldog9
Here is how the floor and interior look today. I stripped down the floor to bare metal, repaired rust, treated with mercedes source miracle paint (like POR15). I am currently stripping the body, sanding down to base coat (had a couple BAD paint jobs) then off to a body shop to take down to metal repair rust & prep for paint.
Bulldog9
Engine Pics I never took a pic of whta the engine compartment looked like before I emptied the nests, basically when I opened the lid, it was filled completely as a giant nest. Car was basically complete and stock.
Bulldog9
drop & dissasemble
Bulldog9
Overall the internals of the engine were in good shape. Nothing outrageous, and teh PO says it was running when he drove it last (95). The P & C's are in excellent shape, will probably clean and keep for posterity, or sell.
Bulldog9
very little scuffing shows the car was lightly used, and probably serviced regularly though a few of the upper tangs of the cyl were broken off. This may have happened when the clutch was changed, as it looks like this is the first time the heads came off.
Bulldog9
cases split very easily, though I was surprised at how LOOSE the mains were. Bearings had very little wear. Waiting for cases to come back then its time to start the journey take it to the long block.

You guys asked for pics!
Socalandy
welcome.png
dale73914
Why someone would leaave this to rot is beyond me......

I would love one of these smile.gif

Goodluck with the build
SirAndy
QUOTE(dale73914 @ Aug 22 2013, 09:39 PM) *
Goodluck with the build

agree.gif
Bulldog9
QUOTE(dale73914 @ Aug 23 2013, 12:39 AM) *

Goodluck with the build

The truth is ugly.............. he parked for the winter, and in the spring instead of putting back on the road, he started driving a.... Miata............ choke....... Really nice guy, older what is worse is what this was sandwiched between.
stugray
I never realized that the 912s had 4 cyls in them.
That looks exactly like our type IV.

Does the engine have VW markings anywhere?
Are those heads technically 2.0L heads?

Be sure to do the galley plugs once you get the case back from cleaning.

Good Luck!
Stu
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 23 2013, 01:37 PM) *

Good Luck!
Stu

The 912E were the only VW type 4 motored 912's all previous were 356 type motors
Jgilliam914
To Steve welcome.png you will have a blast working on it. And in the end you will have a very rare car that you will enjoy for years to come!
poorsche914
The '76 912E had the same 2.0 as our 914s but with L-jet.

driving.gif
stugray
The '76 912E had the same 2.0 as our 914s but with L-jet.

So do the 912E owners get "looked down upon" like the 914 owners do at the PCA meetings? ;-)

Stu
injunmort
not to be a douche but butdo you guys care about my 1970 911 resto that I haven't started yet?

Mikey914
This is what it will look like when it's done-
Some pictures for inspiration
Mikey914
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 23 2013, 07:03 PM) *

not to be a douche but butdo you guys care about my 1970 911 resto that I haven't started yet?

Depends, taking the motor out and dropping it into a 914?? biggrin.gif

There is a lot of crossover with this car. It replaced the 914 until the 924 came out as the entry vehicle.
speed metal army

HA!No.....
euro911
Cool. It would be a 2056 with those P/Cs smile.gif

What cam does it have?

... and welcome.png
Bulldog9
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 23 2013, 02:37 PM) *

Good Luck!
Stu

The 912E had the same motor as the 914, but with a different FI system. Yes, they are the 3 stud "porsche heads"
euro911
2.0L T4 with L-jet FI
Dr Evil
Not sure if a lot of people already mentioned this, but the 76 912E had a 2.0 TIV with L-jet rolleyes.gif

Cool project! thumb3d.gif
euro911
slap.gif
Nine_14
Looks like the previous owner was not an Porsche enthusiast.

Hope to see the rebuild of the car here with many pics.
Bulldog9
Thanks for the welcome guys, I will definitely be checking in here for some help as I build the motor. I took the flywheel to a second shop they said the flywheel was fine, so they are going to clean and do a light resurface.

Here is a question, my cooling fan is pitted and dirty, what is the best way to restore? I'd like to powder coat, but am a bit concerned about the cleaning and effecting the balance of the fan.

SHOULD start the assembly of the long block after laborday weekend.
Jonathan Livesay

I wouldn't mind if you wanted to give it to me, if that is what you are asking. biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Aug 29 2013, 03:55 PM) *
Thanks for the welcome guys, I will definitely be checking in here for some help as I build the motor. I took the flywheel to a second shop they said the flywheel was fine, so they are going to clean and do a light resurface.

Here is a question, my cooling fan is pitted and dirty, what is the best way to restore? I'd like to powder coat, but am a bit concerned about the cleaning and effecting the balance of the fan.

SHOULD start the assembly of the long block after labor day weekend.
The fan and pulley were balanced at the factory, so be mindful when you take it apart - make a mark on the fan that lines up with the small weight embedded in the fold on the pulley.

Blast away and paint or powder-coat the pulley as desired. Some folks paint the fan too.

Repaint your timing marks (red or white) and carry the timing marks all the way to the other side of the fan so it's easier to see from any angle.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 29 2013, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Aug 29 2013, 03:55 PM) *

SHOULD start the assembly of the long block after labor day weekend.
The fan and pulley were balanced at the factory, so be mindful when you take it apart - make a mark on the fan that lines up with the small weight embedded in the fold on the pulley.

Blast away and paint or powder-coat the pulley as desired. Some folks paint the fan too.

Repaint your timing marks (red or white) and carry the timing marks all the way to the other side of the fan so it's easier to see from any angle.

Thanks Mark, yes the plan is to paint both sides, and to make fresh/clear timing marks on fan. I will probably soda blast the fan then paint in light coats.
euro911
Another neat trick is to drill a 1/2" hole in the rear engine tin at the flywheel. Paint the factory TDC gouge with a nice bright color and paint another (wider one) 180 degrees out for BDC.

This comes in handy for ignition timing when topside and the marks on the flywheel also help when down below, adjusting the valves idea.gif
Bulldog9
Am looking at a couple fuel pumps for my build.

Is a 2056 with Weber 40's. Looking at these two pumps as a start, any experience with these? Obviously looking for reliability.

Also, do I need to run a regulator and fuel return back to the tank with this low a pressure? I've come across this http://www.amazon.com/FRAM-G3583-In-Line-F...r/dp/B000AMW0F6 as a possible alternative to a pressure regulator, would be an easy fit, plan to keep stock filter and plumbing and put this in beween the stock filter and carbs, then plumb in the return. But is it needed? Good insrurance? Here are the pumps. a CB, Mer Gasket and Carter.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3193

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-42s/overview/

http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/10002/-1

Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 11 2013, 05:05 PM) *

I used the CB rotary pump on my 2056 and it worked great and was quiet ...
shades.gif
Kirmizi
Rotary pumps, like the one from CB Performance, are also available from your local FLAPS. biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 11 2013, 06:05 PM) *
Am looking at a couple fuel pumps for my build.

Is a 2056 with Weber 40's. Looking at these two pumps as a start, any experience with these? Obviously looking for reliability.

Also, do I need to run a regulator and fuel return back to the tank with this low a pressure? ...

Thanks!
You shouldn't need a regulator, but having a pressure gauge handy is always a good thing. A pump for your application should be between 3.5 & 5psi typically.
StratPlayer
Clean off the fan with some brake cleaner, if your gonna have it powder coated it will need to be balanced. If rebuilding the engine, all parts that need balancing should be balanced as well.
Bulldog9
Thanks all, I decided on the CB rotary pump.

I just finished media blasting the fan, will be painting then sending crank, fan flywheel, and PP to be balanced. I weighed my piston/ring/rod assemblies and tehy are almost spot on, but will match opposing sides as close as possible.

Quick question, I have been planning on using permatez aviation sealant for my case/assembly sealent, is this still the conventional wisdom?
\
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.