Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #770 (912E) Project thread *Tangerine Cooling System installed!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Jett
QUOTE(Bulldog9 @ Nov 29 2020, 05:21 AM) *

Wrapping up a few chads, I finally installed a trickle charger and jumper cable lead. My install and battery make jumping the car a difficult proposition (near impossible) so I installed both a trickle charger lead, and a quick disconnect for jumper cables. I've neve needed a jump, but you never know.....

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Nice 3 hour drive yesterday, some highway, some around town, some big hills and twisties, and drove it like it was meant to be driven. Temps are very good. Vey happy with the setup.

In a funny twist, though this is by no means a bracket racer and drag strip king, I've always been happy with the poke of the engine and power. However, last year, I bought a Mustang Bullitt Edition, and am used to 480HP..... Hmmmm, time to start a fresh big bore turbo engine? shades.gif

Click to view attachment

OK, I'm out, will try to check in on occasion.

Loved the thread and car, well done! Hope your hip and knee feel better!

Btw. If you ever want to go on a cruise, we often door the WA “loop’... cheers
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing your cooling upgrade! These are very good numbers.

Very nice car! smile.gif

Bulldog9
A Couple people asked about how the oil cooler was mounted.

I used the stock cooler and bracket from Tangerine's kit and mounted up to the engine surround tin on the drivers side. It sits basically under the coil area and to the outer edge of the car.

This shows the side view. Hangs lower than I would like, but the bottom of the scoop is level with the heater box that surrounds the exhaust and the taco can sump extender thing. As the gas tank and front suspension axle is a full 3" lower to the ground as is the floor, I think it will be OK, but will watch closely, and will not be taking my 912E off road or Baja Rallies smoke.gif . As I recommended to Chris, for the 912E I'd suggest a 1-2" shorter cooler for better insurance/clearance.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jaredmcginness
I love lurking this thread, the brown is absolutely fabulous! I've probably commented that before. A Sepia 912 longhood is my long term plan, and this is total inspiration.

Bulldog9
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Dec 3 2020, 07:48 AM) *

I love lurking this thread, the brown is absolutely fabulous! I've probably commented that before. A Sepia 912 longhood is my long term plan, and this is total inspiration.

Thanks, it has definitely been a labor of love and learning experience. Wouldn't have been possible without this forum. I can't believe it has been 10 years, and almost 5 since completion.

I FINALLY found a low pressure fuel check valve with proper seals. Manufacturer claims it opens with 1lb or pressure. Hoping that this will help solve the fuel draining back into the tank. If the car sits more than a day, I have to run the pump for a few minutes to refill the fuel bowls. Will report on that and the heater blower when complete.
rgalla9146
My first visit here. Can't believe I missed this.
The first photos of the engine compartment showing the original Sepia paint made me
think 'what a shame'......re-sale red....typical.
What a beautiful transformation !
The contrast of first photo and last is fantastic, the craftsmanship and choices made
are outstanding.
Now to go through and enjoy the the whole process. Can't wait !
Great job.
Bulldog9
Hey 914rs.........

#770 is still going strong. Has been all over the US with me, and currently in Kentucky.

Click to view attachment

I'd been searching for a 914 for a while, but came across a different' removeable roof car. Don't hate me......... It was a steal of a deal, and another rescue. Cosmetically perfect, it just needed mechanicals refreshed after sitting in a climate controlled garage for 10 years.

I retire from the Army this summer, and this new 944 S2 will keep me busy driving while I drop the motor from the 912E. do a some inspections for wear, and resealing of the case. I'll also finally install the stainless pushrod tubes.

Click to view attachment

The 912E motor runs fine, especially now that I have the right plugs in the motor. When I reported what I thought was carbon buildup in 1 CYL a couple years ago ended up being that I replaced them with ones with the "P" which indicates a longer electrode, and it slightly touched on CYL 3. Once I put in the right plugs, the issue was gone. 5K miles later, the car is still fantastic, especially with the Tangerine Cooling system. Pricey, but like all of Chris's stuff well worth it.

The Motor runs great, and other than the corroded pushrod tubes and leaks has been excellent. I will take measurements of everything and inspect the bearings, cam, etc, and replace as necessary. Unlikely due to the Dellorto 36 carbs, but I may bump to larger pistons and cyls.

I havent had the time (or space) and most importantly didn't want to drop the motor and have it off the road for an extended period just to fix my crappy case sealing job, so was waiting till retirement, and another 'fun' car to drive.

Jury is out on the 944, but it is growing on me.

Anyhow, I hope all are well, and I will probably be back once I start the engine teardown and inspection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.