Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #770 (912E) Project thread *Tangerine Cooling System installed!)
Bulldog9
post Apr 3 2016, 12:49 AM
Post #281

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, I finally got the car for the alignment, went to Tru Line in Bellevue. they did a great job, the Tech was awesome, did a great job, answered all my questions and gave a detailed spec sheet. Great customer service and the car is spot on. If you are in the Seattle area, and need an alignment, I highly recommend Tru Line.

He took the car for a ride before and after the alignment so I also got a a chance to hear my what the Tangerine Header and Exhaust sounds like..... The sound was deep and mellow, and not at all like a 4 CYL or a Type 4/VW motor. I've heard many 914's over the years, as well as Bugs with and without a Type 4, and a couple 912E's. They varied in sound, some sounding like a VW other less so, but standing and listening as he ran through the gears I'd never guess it was a 4CYL VW. Of course I didn't think to video. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

The CFR Exhaust and header is a quality piece, sounds, and looks great. Get it, you wont regret it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Apr 18 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #282

I've been slowly building confidence in the car, and when I woke up Saturday, I felt the call of the Ocean, so I decided to drive to the Pacific Coast, ended up a flawless trip of 325 miles. It was a warm sunny day, at mostly highway speeds. Engine performed well, no issues, and even took a pleasant drive on the beach! I'm amazed at how solid and planted the car is at any speed, and had a blast in the twisties. The car is very driveable.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The only enduring issue is a lean condition with very light throttle input when coming off a coast. Hard to describe, but if I hold in gear, reve out a bit, then let off throttle, if I go light on the throttle as if to just maintain speed, I get a 2-3 second lean condition until I get deeper in the pedal. Also have a small leak on two pushrod tubes and the lower case seam. Not enough to drip, but is wet. When I do the 3000 valve adjust, I will probably pull those tubes, clean the o rings and reinstall. Not sure what to do with the other.

Oil Temps varied 180-190 no matter what I did, the external cooler and mocal thermostat adapter are working very well. CYL Head Temps averaged 300-325. Fuel mileage looks to be about 25 MPG, would be better if I could keep my foot out of the throttle but I'm having too much fun. I mounted the Cooler in the passenger wheel well. Not ideal, but there is good air movement when driving, and the angel protects the fins of the cooler. I also mounted in an oil temp sensor on the outlet and run it to the PLX multi gauge. (oil temp, volt and Air Fuel).

Attached ImageAttached Image

I also did a 2000 mile oil change and also changed the sump for the first time. Found some sealant of some type stuck in the screen and some goo on the sump plate but nothing unexpected.

Attached Image

I finally got around to installing and relocating the Oil Pressure and Temp gauges with the Tangerine braided line. Used the Band clamp from the Carter Fuel pump, and connected to the case. Looks great and much safer than the wack brass setup I started with. Like EVERYTHING Chris does, this is well thought out and install is straightforward. Even an old marmaluke like me can do it.

Before

Attached Image

After

Attached Image

I really am having a blast and loving the car more and more.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 19 2016, 02:53 AM
Post #283

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Took ours out this last weekend. It has the injection system and we got about 32 mpg on the highway. Not bad for an old car.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 17 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #284

YUP............ more evidence that i am a retard. I've mentioned a few times that the fuel filling is torturously slow on #770, and while I dont mind slowing down to smell the roses appreciate that good things take time, it was getting ridiculous.... So today I decided to pull the filler and vent lines and take a lookie. Shoved down into the filler neck was my home made 'prefilter' Had to hook it with a dental pic and then pull out with needle nose pliers.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post May 17 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #285

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

It's funny; we made the exact same mistake with my dad's 911 after coating the tank. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 17 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #286

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

WOW! That's the result of coating the fuel tank? What's the point? Now what do you do Steve?
+Quote Post
Papermaker
post May 18 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #287

Member No.: 1,578

Beautiful car Steve. I've got to say that I'm partial to brown!

Here's a photo and a thread to a few comments about my 912e Outlaw.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-912...tml#post9125876

--Papermaker

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 19 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #288

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 18 2016, 01:20 AM) *

WOW! That's the result of coating the fuel tank? What's the point? Now what do you do Steve?

Its hard to tell by the photo but that is just a tight ball of newspaper. I didn't re-coat the tank, I was fortunate to get a pristine tank out of a wrecked garage queen. I wadded up the paper to keep varmints/dust out of the tank while I stored it. I fished it out with a dental pic and needle nose pliers. All is well. Filled up in normal time.... what a relief.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 21 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #289

QUOTE(Papermaker @ May 18 2016, 01:57 PM) *

Beautiful car Steve. I've got to say that I'm partial to brown!

Here's a photo and a thread to a few comments about my 912e Outlaw.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-912...tml#post9125876

--Papermaker

Attached Image

Thanks Papermaker, Brown Rules! I went with the Bitter Chocolate because it was the factory color of my car. If I had a Targa I would have gone black. I totally dig this look.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Papermaker
post May 23 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #290

Steve--

Mocha and cork are the stock colors.

--Papermaker
+Quote Post
jmitro
post May 23 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #291

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

very nice looking car. Keep up the good work!
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 23 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #292

QUOTE(Papermaker @ May 23 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Steve--

--Papermaker

Gotcha. I've never seen a Bitter Chocolate Targa. If my car was Mocha, I would have likely gone with that color as well. I checked out your thread on PP Looks great!
+Quote Post
Papermaker
post May 24 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #293

Steve--

I have a rubber covered oil pressure line but I like your SS line better. Where did you get it and is it temp proof, does it have a temperature rating?

Also, did anyone on World comment about a 912e thread on a 914 site? I'm thinking about adding a thread about my car.

Thanks,

--John

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ May 23 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Steve--

--Papermaker

Gotcha. I've never seen a Bitter Chocolate Targa. If my car was Mocha, I would have likely gone with that color as well. I checked out your thread on PP Looks great!

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jun 9 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #294

Did my 3000 mile Valve Adjust today, first was after breakin, then at 1000 miles.

Overall, I am very happy with the results. I had 3 valves spot on and needed no adjustment, 2 were a bit tight, and 3 were about the same amount loose.

1 - Intake was a little loose, Exhaust was a little tight
2 - Intake was spot on, Exhaust was a little tight
3 - Intake was spot on, exhaust was a little loose
4 - Intake was a little loose, exhaust was spot on

Yeah Yeah I know I should have measured, but hey I'm getting old and lazy. Total Job was less than an hour including jacking up putting on stands, removing tires. I use a short cut method to adjust. Very easy on the 911 body, not sure this would be so easy on the 914.

ADJUST PROCESS:
o Remove distributor cap and timing plug
o Using a big box wrench Rotate engine with alternator nut so CYL 1 is at TDC.
o When #1 is at TDC, the #2 intake and #4 exhaust valves are also fully CLOSED and can be adjusted. Adjust #1 Intake and Exhaust, #2 Intake, and #4 Exhaust.
o Rotate engine one full revolution so rotor turns 180 degrees and is facing #3 and mark is at TDC again. #3 is at TDC. Now set #3 Intake and Exhaust as well as the #4 Intake and the #2 Exhaust. Badaboom, done.

I reset the timing, and used the factory mark as opposed to MY mark when I had the engine apart, the Factory Mark is 5 degrees more advanced than my TDC. I set it to 9 degrees at idle and ends up at 24-24 at 3500. Motor seems a bit Livelier, but I still really have no idea what the 'ideal timing should be with my particular build.

Everything looked great inside the valve covers, have used maybe 1/4 quart of oil, and the motor still screams, pulls straight to redline, no surging, great throttle response and torque. The only lingering issue is a slight lean condition with light roll on throttle input. In other words, say I am in 3rd gear, rev to 5K and let off the gas. If I feather the fuel back up to maintain speed, I get a 1 second lean condition. If I Am more aggressive with the fuel, there is no issue, so I am thinking it is ME that needs to adjust my driving style. I'd still like to take it to John Walkers garage or another shop in the area and have it put on a dyno for real professional tuning and a HP check, but I'm also cheap............. lol

I HATE putting my cars/motorcycles and $$$ into someone else's hands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I want to say THANK YOU again to this forum and those who helped and gave advice along the way. Now its time to source the parts for a 2270 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jun 9 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #295

John, just saw this, sorry for the late response. I got mine from Chris Foley, contacted him directly for it, I dont think it is on his webpage.

I've received a warm welcome, nothing said to my 'face' 914 World Rocks. I'm sure there is some keyboard warrior who is offended but he will get over it. I put the 912E in the title as a courtesy so those who arent interested dont waste precious web time in a non 914 thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

QUOTE(Papermaker @ May 24 2016, 01:07 PM) *

Steve--

I have a rubber covered oil pressure line but I like your SS line better. Where did you get it and is it temp proof, does it have a temperature rating?

Also, did anyone on World comment about a 912e thread on a 914 site? I'm thinking about adding a thread about my car.

Thanks,

--John

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ May 23 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Steve--

--Papermaker

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 10 2016, 12:06 PM
Post #296

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jun 9 2016, 09:44 PM) *

o When #1 is at TDC, the #2 intake and #4 exhaust valves are also fully CLOSED and can be adjusted.

I (and others) have found that this often leads to valve clearances that are larger when measured at TDC. Not sure why, though. (Tolerance stack on the valve train?)

--DD
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Jun 10 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #297

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

Steve,

Regarding your 912 thread on the 914 board:

I have really enjoyed watching you restore your beautiful 912e. Like many of the 914 restoration threads here on the World, I am gobsmacked by the quality of your work, attention to detail, and of course the stunning result.

So I'm very happy that you took the time to start and post on your thread. If my reading of history is correct, that engine in your 912 was supposed to go into a 914 but the 914 program got killed so Porsche stamped out a couple thousand 912e's to use up the engines. So the 912e is kinda a rear engine 914???

So thank you for your thread.
+Quote Post
Papermaker
post Jun 10 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #298

Steve--

Thanks for the feedback on the oil pressure line, I'll give Chris a call next week.

--Papermaker

PS. I'll start a 912e Targa thread next week also.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jun 11 2016, 09:45 AM
Post #299

AND IT HAS A NAME (long post).

I've named a few of my motorcycles, but never named a car other than my first (a 1964 Buick Special names the Low Rider due to its rust sag). One of my motorcycles was named Bug Slayer due to my finding every bug on the planet to commit suicide on its fairing and windshield...... After my 400+ mile drive yesterday, I think #770 has decided on its name. And it is BRACKET KILLER............

So there I was........... Got an unexpected day off Friday due to Army Ball recovery, and decided to drive to Leavenworth WA to get a christmas ornament for my soon to be born grandson, and decided to take the scenic route. Will post on engine temps and experience in another post, but the first 300 miles were a blast. There must have been some kind of P car meet in the Leavenworth area, passed a ton of watercooled (aka fake (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) ) Porsches of all types heading in to leavenworth.

Anyhow, I drove the snot out of the car, drove it like I stole it most of the day and all was well until....... I stopped for gas in Pomona and heard a strange rattle. YEP lower alternator bracket is broken again....... Upper bracket bolt worked itself loose (diddnt use loctite) allowed excessive vibration and cracked lower bracket. Is my fault. WHen I recently changed out my brackets (upper and lower) when I installed the upper it didn't 'torque' up right, felt like it was going to strip so I backed off. Obviously it worked itself loose, allowed movement and vibration and caused the lower to crack.

This will be Bracket 3.... The first was the original that fell apart when I initially disassembled for restore, the second broke after 2000 miles and this third after 900 miles. So.... I think it is time to pull the back end of the tins and fan housing off and see whats up....... Will likely have to tap a larger hole for the upper bracket. FUN FUN.

So, at 8pm in the rain in the Mountains, I limped home, kept the motor revs low, drove the speed limit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) and got home about 11pm. Made it home without problem, I was convinced it would throw the belt as the alternator is bouncing around and the belt is VERY loose. AH the joys of driving a 40 year old treasure.... Seriously I LOVE it.....

Here is the route.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 11 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #300

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Long drive from Pomona. even with a good running car. You were prob very relieved when you got to 512. Weird your car is eating brackets. I don't have any more of them.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 04:33 PM