Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #770 (912E) Project thread *Tangerine Cooling System installed!)
Bulldog9
post Jan 16 2017, 10:41 PM
Post #321

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice weather today, took the car for a long drive and swung by Rhody Guys (Kevin) to pick up a good working thermostat. Took the long way home, about 200 miles and came home to discover that Bracket Slayer had struck again....... #4........ SAME exact place as the others. Time to reevaluate. It is notable that this is an ongoing problem for the car, as when I initially tore the engine apart, it only had half a bracket, and I found out by accident that it was broken.

Thanks to Kevin I now have a working Thermostat Bellows which will help keep the motor at optimal operating temps.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 17 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #322

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You took the long way home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . What route did you take? Up 410? Weird on the bracket. I have another one. I had the pleasure of driving steve's car yesterday. More than adequate power, wonderful road manners, and nice a/f ratios. To me, his carbs are setup perfectly.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 17 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #323

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 17 2017, 08:51 AM) *

You took the long way home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . What route did you take? Up 410? Weird on the bracket. I have another one. I had the pleasure of driving steve's car yesterday. More than adequate power, wonderful road manners, and nice a/f ratios. To me, his carbs are setup perfectly.

I took the Tacoma Narrows Bridge then up through Purdie and looped down to Olympia on 3 and 101. Thanks for the complements on the setup. Credit goes to this board, I spent 2-3 years reading threads and researching, and getting advice before I turned the key.

I'll prob swing by this weekend for the bracket, but wont put it on till I have a workable fix to ensure no further breakage. I think I am going to create a stiff backing plate to support the bracket. I think the rear (engine side) of the bracket hangs off the fan housing and this causes the bracket to brake at the weak point where it is thinnest due to the bolt hole.

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Oct 19 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #324

Right before I "disappeared" for a few months, I ordered a NOS Alternator Pulley from Sunset Porsche. Unfortunately, their database was in error and there were no parts available. I really need a new Alternator Pulley. It eats fan belts like a fat kid ad McDonalds, and the inconsistent width of the pulley (from rust pitting, etc,) causes a constant 'pulse' of tension for lack of better description on the belt and may have contributed to breaking 3 lower alternator brackets over 5-6K miles.

I was able to get a good 914 pulley from Rhodyguy, but unfortunately the backspacing difference between the 914 & 912E motor causes a misalignment of the belt and it throws immediately. The 912E Pulley has fan blades behind the pulley. I think they are unnecessary as the Alternator is cooled from the cooling fan. Once I get settled, I may relook and consider shimming behind the pulley with a washer, but if I remember, the differences make that questionable.

Right now this is the only weak point in the car and is limiting my confidence to just go drive. When I get back East I want to drive to Hershey, visit Hoffman and Jake the Great, maybe AA, as well as take it on the Dragon's Tail, etc.

Anyone with experience in swapping these out? I do plan to change the cooling system to a DTM or Tangerine eventually, but would much prefer to go the new pulley route.

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 19 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #325

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Just thinking out loud, would it not be possible to have a machine shop chuck it on a lathe and smooth out the walls? Or better yet, machine a new one from aluminum.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Apr 30 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #326

It's been a while. Our great Uncle has been keeping me busy, and I am back on the East Coast back to where it all started for #770

I just turned 10K miles on the rebuild and other than a few things here and there (like eating alternator brackets and fan belts), the car is solid. I still havent sourced a good pulley alternate to replace my trashed and pitted pulley, and havent found one that will fit, but I will keep trying. At this point after 5 fan belts the old pulley is almost smooth now ;-) My last fix on the bracket mount seems to have worked, but I picked up a fan housing and bracket for $10 at the swap meet so I may just swap that in.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Apr 30 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #327

Major Member

Love seeing positive updates on this car! Is that a dent on the door or a reflection - hoping a reflection...
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 1 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #328

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 30 2018, 07:25 PM) *

Love seeing positive updates on this car! Is that a dent on the door or a reflection - hoping a reflection...

No... Sadly it is a dent and one caused by me. I'm waiting to get back into Scotty B to get it fixed.

Overall the car is running really great I just pulled the plugs today when I changed the oil and added the tuna can mod they all look great that tan color with a very very light tint of green which I'm assuming is due to additives in the fuel.

I think I'm due for a valve adjustment but the motor sounds great. What's the Frequency recommended if you're running swivel foot Adjusters?

+Quote Post
73-914
post May 1 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #329

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

have you tried looking on Ebay.de for bosche alternator parts?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jul 3 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #330

It's been a while and I am finally happy to report that I have finished! I found a great deal on a set of perfectly color matched front seats and some marine vinyl for the lower rear pads. As some may remember, I decided to omit the upper folding seat backs and leave them as jumpers. Got a killer deal on the seats and the color scheme matches perfect. I also swapped out the big square halogens for some small PIAA LED's. Not period correct, but better lighting and easier on the electrical system.

I added the Sump extender and since I put the backing plate on the lower alternator bracket, no more broken brackets! 11K miles on the rebuild and only a few minor issues.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Oct 15 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #331

Well.............. Bracket slayer strikes again........... Bracket #4 (or maybe 5) is broken. I put a backer plate on and it lasted about 5K miles, but was heaidn out for a drive saturrday and once again it broke. Between this and the terrible belt eating pulleys I'm DONE...........

Time to look at either a DTM or FAT 911 style. There was a guy at Hershey selling a full FAT system, should have grabbed it.

Anything newer or better for the Type4/914 Motor? Insert a few minutes of cursing............. lol

Other than that, everything is running great!
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Mar 19 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #332

5th time a charm? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Finally took the time to address my latest broken bracket. Went through the routine, replaced the lower bracket and noticed the upper was cracked too. Made sense as have been driving the car, mostly short trips no more than 10-15 miles from home figuring I could drive back on battery if it threw the belt. It didn't, but was basically hanging from top bracket, which cracked it..... sigh.....

So this time I took out the entire fan housing again, swapped out both brackets. Probably did it right for the first time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Taking both off forced me to have to ensure proper alignment with not only the fan, but also in relation to each bracket and range of motion on the slide bracket.

Til now I have basically swapped out the bracket and called it done. I THINK the alternator was in effect mounted crooked, and put pressure/twisted the lower bracket, causing it to crack and break. It basically broke in the EXACT same place every time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This time, I took measurements to see where the brackets needed to be so the pulleys lined up, then took the fan housing off the motor, mounted the brackets sightly tight and the alternator to the brackets finger tight and played/adjusted tapping here and there to make sure that the alt slid freely on the slide bracket and while doing so put no torsional stress on the lower bracket, and most importantly, when pressure is put on the alternator on full acceleration. Now it appears to be properly square and aligned. I can see that I had both brackets cocked a bit in the past, and this is hopefully what caused the bracket slaying.... I didn't think it was that much of a big deal.... but... Going on a 300 mile drive today, lets see how it hold up!

Broken Lower Bracket
Attached Image

Cracked upper bracket
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 12 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #333

Update on #770.

Just did the 10K mile valve adjust and tuneup. All the valves were just a hair tight, swapped out for new plugs, checked timing, carb sync, and fresh oil. MAN what a difference! Motor is much smoother at idle, and running.

I did 3-4 valve adjustments/checks over the first 1000 miles, but have mostly just done oil changes every 3K miles, and filters every 6K. The timing was still spot on, and the Pertronix cap & rotor showed little wear, plugs were that desired tan, even #3.

I swapped out the ITG filters and V stacks for the Ram Flo filters, and will wash and re-oil the ITG's when I have time, but didn't realize how much quieter the intake would be. Lost a little midrange power, but not too bad.

I also FINALLY relocated the vent hose from the oil catch can vent from the chimney. I originally routed it down the front of the engine bay, and was right near the intake for the heat/vents. No more smell on hard acceleration...

I think I finally have the alternator bracket situation sorted. The stock pulley ate belts at a 500 mile rate, and once adjusted to the full extent, the bracket would break. I ended up buying a re-manufactured alternator for a 914, pulled the pulley and put it on the alternator, put on a new belt. Between the total realignment back in March, and pulley, 2K miles later, belt is wearing well, and in a 'healthy' adjustment range, so no broken brackets anymore (crossed fingers). Now I just need to sell the alternator.... lol.

17K total since rebuild, the car is running and driving flawlessly. Even took it to a PCA track event this summer, which was tons of fun.

Not much time to post or visit the forum, but hope all are well!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 12 2019, 10:08 PM
Post #334

Major Member

Glad to hear you finally tackled the bracket issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I love that you are driving it the way it was meant to be used. I hope to see 17k on my car one day.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 9 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #335

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 12 2019, 08:08 PM) *

Glad to hear you finally tackled the bracket issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I love that you are driving it the way it was meant to be used. I hope to see 17k on my car one day.

I wish I could drive it more, but since moving back East, and being in the Metro DC area, daily driving is less appealing, though I try to get out most weekends.

I also realized I never posted up the repair of the Door, done by Scotty B for me a few months back.

Pics of the door. As always Scott's work is impeccable.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Here is the new pulley. 2K so far. Hoping after a run to Hershey next Spring to take the car on a Tour of the Kentucky Distillery's with the wife.

Attached Image

Still have a few things I want/need to do, mainly adding an aux fan to my external cooler, and touch up of some chassis rust, mainly one caliper and the rear brake hubs. Should have taken the time at rebuild, but THOUGHT they were G2G. Also considering a higher torque starter upgrade.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 10 2019, 05:34 AM
Post #336

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Lookin Classy..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Door, done by Scotty B

How is Scotty doing these days??
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 10 2019, 12:10 PM
Post #337

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Long road. Sounds like you've solved the bracket issue.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Mar 12 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #338

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 10 2019, 10:10 AM) *

Long road. Sounds like you've solved the bracket issue.

Yup, and still holding with minimal belt degradation. Belt still flys off when I rev too high. Fine when shifting at or below normal redline.

Now I need to catalog ALL my unused parts and sell! I have a perfect 914 rebuilt Alternator, bunch a other parts including a NOS Bursch Muffler for the 912E.

Hope to get m y act together this spring, take photos, etc....
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Apr 23 2020, 06:18 AM
Post #339

Current state of affairs as I prep to convert to the Tangerine Cooling system and stainless pushrod tubes. I'll also be swapping out the starter with a hi-torque unit and installing an external cooler with fan in place of the stock unit.

Overall, pretty happy with how it all looks after 5 years and 15K miles.

2 quick questions.

1. As I'm going to be changing out the pushrod tubes, and all the upper valvetrain will be removed, is this a good time to re-torque the heads? If I do this, should I do them one at a time, or back all off slightly and then retorque?

2. Anyone know of a fuel filter with a check valve that works with the low pressure pump? Tired of the fuel being sucked back to the tank after I shut the car down.

Will post pics of updates as they go.

Thanks all.

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 23 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #340

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A proven build with years and miles on the ODO, well done! Such a clean looking 912.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:04 PM