Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bowed 914..., As Maxwell Smart would say, missed it by this much
mr914
post Aug 25 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #1

914 Hillbilly

Group: Members
Member No.: 131
Region Association: None

Lesson learned #11- before attempting this at home, get the alignment checked on a frame machine. I built custom door/chassis reinforcement bars before going on the rotisserie. Assuming that the PO had repaired the longitudinals correctly.

After 12 years, the car finally landed on the jack stands. As the original Dorris were thoroughly rusted out, I had replacement doors. Bolted the replacement doors on, and the don't fit. Bolted original doors on and they do with funky gaps....

Put the reinforcement bars on and the fit like I had built them.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) looked at how the front strut upper plates were located. One has never moved based on factory tar, the other one had been moved 1/4-3/8"

Damn, why didn't I catch that years ago... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Did test assemble, top, doors gaskets. Car is square but the longs appear to be bowed, fortunately evenly.

Put the reinforcement bars on and they fit like I had built them.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Based on the targa top fitment, it Looks like the car is bowed 1/4-3/8".

Door fitment (replacement doors) - front gap is good and even, the rear is 3/8" high at the body line (stack of 5 US Quarters).

Hung the original doors, drivers door is spot on, rusted at the bottom and evidence of a cut and re weld between the hinges. Damn-it, unbolted the doors, put them on the shelf in the basement and ignored them for 10+ years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Now, how to fix it....

1) bolt suspension on, ship to frame shop, have them tweak the body and align the suspension before reassembly. (There is a near local shop that all the local 914 people swear by). The advantage is, I can use my special tool (Louisville Slugger, that has never hit a ball) to roll the fenders to accommodate 15x7 w/195/60/15s

2) now that it is on jackstands, (800-1200# sand/weight) in the passenger compartment and let gravity do its thing over the winter, while I work on other details, engine, trans, etc...

Looking for better ideas, suggestions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

What's pissing me off, is all the work and years on the rotisserie, I'm sure did not cause the bend/bow..

It's not that far off, not twisted, but definitely solid

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mr914   Bowed 914...   Aug 25 2013, 08:29 PM
mr914   US quarter measuring system   Aug 25 2013, 08:30 PM
mr914   :headbang:   Aug 25 2013, 08:31 PM
mr914   With a good door   Aug 25 2013, 08:32 PM
mr914   Front gap   Aug 25 2013, 08:33 PM
mr914   At least, withe the suspension on, I can use my sp...   Aug 25 2013, 08:46 PM
mr914   BTW. The white shell has been tested on three cars...   Aug 25 2013, 09:15 PM
sixnotfour   Is this 914 the Six you have ??, If so all the rep...   Aug 26 2013, 03:20 PM
Chris H.   rick918-s has a Celette bench with 914 fixtures. ...   Aug 26 2013, 03:36 PM
mr914   "Hung the original doors, drivers door is spo...   Aug 26 2013, 08:51 PM
rick 918-S   Wow! That this is twisted! I have plans ...   Aug 27 2013, 06:21 AM
bulitt   Thats a deal! :trophy:   Aug 27 2013, 06:25 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:07 AM