Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 loose wires behind the dash
Jonathan Livesay
post Aug 29 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 29 2013, 01:47 PM) *

David- I crawled up on the lift to look at mine-

The turn signal bulbs each need a blue/white
So hook up number 4 to one bulb and number 5 to the other bulb.

Then each bulb needs either a black/white or black/green.
So I'm guessing because they are taped together hook up
the black/white - number 6 to the left indicator and
the black/green - number 8 (yes it is black/green) to the right.

Number three appears to be a black/white also? but outside the bunch taped together.

Looks to me like you have a 1971 or 1972 fuel gauge? So looking at the 1973 schematic does you no good as the turn signal indicators in the 73 are in the tachometer.
Is your speedo 120mph or 150?

They all had turn signal lights in the tach, no? If it's an early fuel gauge the 2 bulbs at the top (or bottom in the picture) are the brake warning/hand brake lights. The wires that go to the turn signal lights in the tach would indeed be the blk/blu and blk/wht along with the light blue/wht which goes to both sides, except his tach appears to be some other make probably for the V-8 and doesn't seem to have turn signal lights at all. I guess you could hook them up to the brake warning bulbs and have 2 big red turn signal lights. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The wht/grn wire is for the parking light warning light (comes on when the running lights are on, but not the headlights) and the wht/blu wire is for the high beam warning light.
Edit: reread your second and third lines: The #4 wire in his picture is the only one you would want to connect to turn signal lights, gets bridges between them and is the power source for both. The wht/blu wire #5 is for the high beam warning light.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 29 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #22

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Got that David?
Number 4 hooks to both lights
6 to left
8 to right
And as Jonathan points out you have no indicators in the tach, so you can hook up the top two brake warning bulbs. Thought they were indicator bulbs, sorry.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 29 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 29 2013, 06:48 PM) *

Got that David?
Number 4 hooks to both lights
6 to left
8 to right
And as Jonathan points out you have no indicators in the tach, so you can hook up the top two brake warning bulbs. Thought they were indicator bulbs, sorry.

I'm slightly confused.
For clarity sake....yep, I'm going to use those illumination pots for turn sighnal indicators. I've decided to use BOTH lights.
So, are we saying 4 (blue/wht) goes to one pole on one light and then needs a jumper to the other light and then 6 goes on one pole and 8 goes on the the other pole of the other light, right.
I suppose the confusion is in 4. Do I need to jump 4 to the second light? That seems to make sense if it's the power and I need power to both bulbs...
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 29 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #24

Achtzylinder

yes
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 29 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #25

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
AWESOME!
It worked and now my former brake warning lamps operate as turn signal indicators!
Thank you all who's valuable input made it possible for a severely color blind meathead to do electrical work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Next fun project, repair wiper switch (high position not working-formerly did, but after I did some work in the colum, I must have goofed sumthin) and turn signal switch not tripping right side blinker unless manipulated quite forcefully.
Again, much thanks you guys. Having you in my corner actually makes figuring this stuff out fun!
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 30 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #26

Durnit! Just when I thought we had it nailed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
The indicator lights we rigged up work, true; but unfortunately when I turn the headlights on both indicators come on at the dash and stay lite which is to say they aren't blinking, just on (and the blinkers themselves stay offm unless I turn them on).
As an aside, if I turn the car off with a blinker on, all the running lights come on (and it always did this).
So, now I'm stumped again. Why on earth would the turn signal dash idicators come on when the headlights are on?
Ugh.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Aug 30 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 30 2013, 02:15 PM) *

Durnit! Just when I thought we had it nailed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
The indicator lights we rigged up work, true; but unfortunately when I turn the headlights on both indicators come on at the dash and stay lite which is to say they aren't blinking, just on (and the blinkers themselves stay offm unless I turn them on).
As an aside, if I turn the car off with a blinker on, all the running lights come on (and it always did this).
So, now I'm stumped again. Why on earth would the turn signal dash idicators come on when the headlights are on?
Ugh.

Did you use the blue white striped wire or the white blue striped wire?
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 30 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 30 2013, 06:21 PM) *

Ugh.

Color blind. I used number #4 wire as marked in the picture which I was told is Blue with a white stripe.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Aug 30 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 30 2013, 03:34 PM) *

Ugh.

Color blind. I used number #4 wire as marked in the picture which I was told is Blue with a white stripe.

Which picture? In the picture at the top of the thread the wire labeled #4 is the wht/blu and the wire labeled #7 is the blu/wht. In the picture in post 17 the wht/blu is #5 and the correct blu/wht is #4. You want the wire that is #7 in the first post and #4 in the second post. That other wire (#4 in the first post of the thread) is 12volts to the high beam warning light when the high beams are activated.

BTW the running lights on the side that the turn signal switch is turned towards will come on when the car is shut off. If both sides come on then you've got another problem, but separate from the turn signal one.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 30 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 30 2013, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 30 2013, 03:34 PM) *

Ugh.

Which picture? In the picture at the top of the thread the wire labeled #4 is the wht/blu and the wire labeled #7 is the blu/wht. In the picture in post 17 the wht/blu is #5 and the correct blu/wht is #4. You want the wire that is #7 in the first post and #4 in the second post. That other wire (#4 in the first post of the thread) is 12volts to the high beam warning light when the high beams are activated.

BTW the running lights on the side that the turn signal switch is turned towards will come on when the car is shut off. If both sides come on then you've got another problem, but separate from the turn signal one.

Reckon I'll unzip it and snap a picture so ya'll can double check it for me :-(
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 30 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #31

Pretty sure I goofed
What say you'ze
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Aug 30 2013, 08:25 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 30 2013, 06:41 PM) *

Pretty sure I goofed
What say you'ze
Attached Image

Yup.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 31 2013, 06:21 AM
Post #33

Achtzylinder

Yes, the one you are holding should go to the turn signal indicators. The one you attached to the indicators goes to the high beam indicator light as Jonathan indicates. Maybe you should put number tags on the wires in future pics. Also, you may want to get a proper tach down the road and hook up all the proper indicators? They are cheap in the classifieds. You can use the 914 tach with your V8 with one of these adapters-
Tach Adapter
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 10:31 AM