Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Totally bummed out, Highly discouraged
skline
post Dec 11 2004, 09:11 AM
Post #1

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I bought this new truck in February and I really like the truck. It's like it was made just for me. 4 months ago, I took it to the dealer for an oil leak, They replaced the front seal. I took it back less than 1000 miles later for a belt sqeal and they told me it was a routine maint item and wanted to charge me $40.00. I picked it up and took it to another dealer for repairs. It only had about 16k on it and I didnt think I should have to replace the belt already. Well, it turned out that it had a bad water pump so they replaced it. While it was in there, they checked the computer and it turned out to have a sticky valve also. They rebuilt the heads on it. I got it back and there was this grinding noise in the dash at idle in gear. So I took it back and couldnt leave it at that point but they said to bring it in and they would fix it. Last weekend, I went down to Elsinore to pick up some parts and all my gauges went out and the transmission stopped shifting. So I took it back in last Monday. I got it back late yesterday afternoon. It was so nice to have it back. So last night, I go out to dinner and I get on the freeway to come back home and on the onramp, all my gauges go out again and the transmission stops shifting again. It didnt even make it 75 miles. I am really getting discouraged here. I love this truck but it is really getting to be a nightmare. If I wind up giving back the truck, I think I am going to get me a Boxster. That is the only thing that will take away the pain of losing my truck. I just had to vent all this. Now I think I will get working on the Chalon and take it for a drive today. Sort of a stress reliever.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
machina
post Dec 11 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Your talking about your 2003 S-10? That sucks. Rebuilt heads on a brand new truck?

Take it back to the dealer, demand an S-10 loaner, and tell them to keep your truck until they get it right or give you another brand new S-10 off the lot.

Do they have a lemon law in your state? We do and I know people who have used it.
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Dec 11 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #3

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) That sucks, Scott!
I had a similar problem with the gauges going out on my
van and it was one of 3 major computer control modules in
the engine. Have they checked those????

Lisa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Dec 11 2004, 09:24 AM
Post #4

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Sounds like a case of the dealer mechs screwing things up. Talk - nicely- to the hightest person you can at that dealership, explain the problem -take your receipts- and try & resolve the problem If they don't respond to you being nice, invoke the lemon law. You may want to talk to your local BBB, too.
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 11 2004, 09:44 AM
Post #5

Born to Drive

I will be taking it back to them on Monday, I am out at a friends house now working on his satallite system. He has an S-10 also that he bought new in 97 and he never had one problem with his. I liked his truck and that is why I bought mine. The color on it is not so common, it is a factory color 41U Yellow. I had the top painted to match it. It has every factory option including power moonroof. I looked for a long time to find this truck equipt the way this one is, I highly doubt I will ever find another one like it. There is a Lemon law here and I will use it if need be. But I would really like to keep my truck if they can fix it right. Otherwise, I will take a Boxster to make up for the loss. A yellow one would be nice with the 3.2 in it.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 11 2004, 09:47 AM
Post #6

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It sounds like they are very forthcoming to respond to the problems you are having but only putting a bandaid on it. Not to go over the Service Managers head but, you might need to get the Regional manager involved.

I have a fleet of 1 ton Dodge vans. Within 2 years all 6 vans needed their fuel pumps replaced. A year later I had to do it all over again. At the cost of $400 per van??? I don't think so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) That's when I got in touch with the regional manager and the VP of Dodge....
I received a check covering all pumps 2 months later.
BUT, we're still replacing fuel pumps about every 2 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

......b
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 11 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #7

Born to Drive

I heard Dodge recalled over a million trucks. I need to find out the story on that to get the facts. Something about them falling apart going slow or around corners? I wouldnt buy a Dodge or a Ford, I have not had very good luck with anything newer than the late 70's vehicles.
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 11 2004, 09:58 AM
Post #8

Born to Drive

Found the recall information here

Seems the recall is for 2000 to 2003 Dakota and Durangos. The front suspension falls off. 600k trucks. What year was MikeZ's?

The funniest part is Chrysler says its not really a saftey issue. The wheels fall off going slow around corners. I dont know about you, but I never go slow around corners.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 11 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

something to do with the upper ball joints failing? honda has a major recall as well. bad oil filter seals that drip oil on the exhaust, torching the vehicle. my neighbors wife drives a durango. it nearly lost a REAR wheel this past year. he was going to dump it but the dealer was going to allow him less than he owed on it for the trade in. sorry for your hassle scott. if your truck only ran as good as it looks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

kevin
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Dec 11 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #10

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

I think your truck secretly desires to be a 914. Thus, it's need to be on jackstands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 11 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #11

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Scott contact eh factory rep in your area for Chevrolet. Make an appointment and bring your paperwork. Let him know that you want to keep the vehicle, but want it right. Be nice, smile and don't start a rant about lemon law, he already knows all of teh avenues that you as a consumer have at your disposal.
CCLINAUTODEALER
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 11 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #12

Born to Drive

That is some very good advice Craig, I just hope I can deal with it as diplomatic as you put it. I really do like my truck and want to keep it, but I dont want to have to take it into the shop every week. I got the contact information and am going to try it today, otherwise it will be Monday. Thanks Craig.
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Dec 11 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,060

Sounds more like a Ford than a Chev. That bites dont even like hearing about a bad Chev or a bad 914.
+Quote Post
Engman
post Dec 11 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #14

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

Scott contact eh factory rep in your area for Chevrolet. Make an appointment and bring your paperwork. Let him know that you want to keep the vehicle, but want it right. Be nice, smile and don't start a rant about lemon law, he already knows all of teh avenues that you as a consumer have at your disposal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Usually they want to resove these quickly.

M
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Dec 11 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,724

Scott,

I would be more leary of the truck long term. Sounds like you have a lemon. Once a lemon, always a lemon. If Chevrolet does get everything working right make sure that your warranty gets extended. You don't want to be dealing with lemon issues when you are paying to have them fixed.

Good luck.
-Jeff
+Quote Post
boxerboy
post Dec 11 2004, 02:19 PM
Post #16

boxerboy

Member No.: 2,194

When you do meet with the factory rep, being calm is important, I agree, but being organized is just as important. Have all your documents as suggested, but also have copies that you can leave behind. Also create a log or a time line of when things started going wrong and what was done to correct it. A simple one sheet like this can keep you focused and accurate when you are pitching your case to the rep and it shows you mean business.

You also want to indicate your time spent trying to resolve these problems. It sounds like you have been patient through all this, but it's an unnecessary inconvenience and your time is valuable too.

Like any machine, things can and will go wrong and you understand that (after all, you own a 914). From where I'mstanding it looks like you have met them more than half way to correct this. Now it's time for them to stand behind their product and deliver to you the truck you paid for.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Dec 11 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,432

you know as much as i rag on fords and chevs, my ford truck has been doing very well. I bought a new 03ranger at the end of the year when the 04's came out. NOw it has 15k on it and no problems to speak of. I do drive it like a porsche when i can.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #18

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Yea, my '02 Dodge 1500 P.O.S. has actually never given me one bit of trouble, and I have 59,000 on it already...Why do I call it a P.O.S.?? "cuase it ain't a 914--------------- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Dec 11 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #19

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I was a "Jeep Guy" for a long time. I would buy a new Wrangler Sahara every two years as my daily transport. I bought a 2001 and got a real lemon. It wa sin the shop at least once a month... too much to list here but you get the idea. After driving it for a year (mostly not driving it) I went through hell and back with Diamler Chrysler but got out of it without taking a hit, paid for what I had "used" but didn't pay a dime in repairs or lose anything on it when they "early termed" the loan for me.

Needless to say I am turned off of Jeeps and pretty much Diamler Chrysler as a whole. It really sucks to go through this sort of thing.

The good news is I made my garage queen Boxster into my daily driver and I haven't looked back. The car was meant to be driven and driving it every day rain or shine is a pleasure (no snow here in Phoenix). Pretty low regular maint. cost except for 30, 60, & 90k are about $700 ea.

Get that Boxster and rack-up the miles, you deserve it.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 11 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #20

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Scott Just to give you and maybe others a little boost as far as factory reps are concerned.
When I bought my Boxster it had 16000 miles on the odo. It was a one owner car. It had all of the services up to that point.
I took the car out for a spin a few days after I got the car. Accelerating from a stop light, very bad noises from teh motor and the lights all came on and then nothing. Called a tow truck and had th ecar taken to Stuttgart Autotech, an independent Porsche repair shop. Number 3 valve was bent. I contacted the local dealer, Sunset Porsche. I went out in person and sat down in front of the service manager and asked if they were going to participate in the cost of repairs. NO. I said Okay, will you please contact your local servicerep and ask him to meet with me and I will ask him.
I received a call later in the day, The service manager told me to go buy a lottery ticket, I asked why? He said the factory rep said to have me bring the car inand they would replace the motor for free.
CCLINNADA
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 07:45 AM