Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Totally bummed out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I bought this new truck in February and I really like the truck. It's like it was made just for me. 4 months ago, I took it to the dealer for an oil leak, They replaced the front seal. I took it back less than 1000 miles later for a belt sqeal and they told me it was a routine maint item and wanted to charge me $40.00. I picked it up and took it to another dealer for repairs. It only had about 16k on it and I didnt think I should have to replace the belt already. Well, it turned out that it had a bad water pump so they replaced it. While it was in there, they checked the computer and it turned out to have a sticky valve also. They rebuilt the heads on it. I got it back and there was this grinding noise in the dash at idle in gear. So I took it back and couldnt leave it at that point but they said to bring it in and they would fix it. Last weekend, I went down to Elsinore to pick up some parts and all my gauges went out and the transmission stopped shifting. So I took it back in last Monday. I got it back late yesterday afternoon. It was so nice to have it back. So last night, I go out to dinner and I get on the freeway to come back home and on the onramp, all my gauges go out again and the transmission stops shifting again. It didnt even make it 75 miles. I am really getting discouraged here. I love this truck but it is really getting to be a nightmare. If I wind up giving back the truck, I think I am going to get me a Boxster. That is the only thing that will take away the pain of losing my truck. I just had to vent all this. Now I think I will get working on the Chalon and take it for a drive today. Sort of a stress reliever.
machina
Your talking about your 2003 S-10? That sucks. Rebuilt heads on a brand new truck?

Take it back to the dealer, demand an S-10 loaner, and tell them to keep your truck until they get it right or give you another brand new S-10 off the lot.

Do they have a lemon law in your state? We do and I know people who have used it.
Mrs. K
blink.gif That sucks, Scott!
I had a similar problem with the gauges going out on my
van and it was one of 3 major computer control modules in
the engine. Have they checked those????

Lisa confused24.gif
markb
Sounds like a case of the dealer mechs screwing things up. Talk - nicely- to the hightest person you can at that dealership, explain the problem -take your receipts- and try & resolve the problem If they don't respond to you being nice, invoke the lemon law. You may want to talk to your local BBB, too.
skline
I will be taking it back to them on Monday, I am out at a friends house now working on his satallite system. He has an S-10 also that he bought new in 97 and he never had one problem with his. I liked his truck and that is why I bought mine. The color on it is not so common, it is a factory color 41U Yellow. I had the top painted to match it. It has every factory option including power moonroof. I looked for a long time to find this truck equipt the way this one is, I highly doubt I will ever find another one like it. There is a Lemon law here and I will use it if need be. But I would really like to keep my truck if they can fix it right. Otherwise, I will take a Boxster to make up for the loss. A yellow one would be nice with the 3.2 in it.
Bruce Allert
It sounds like they are very forthcoming to respond to the problems you are having but only putting a bandaid on it. Not to go over the Service Managers head but, you might need to get the Regional manager involved.

I have a fleet of 1 ton Dodge vans. Within 2 years all 6 vans needed their fuel pumps replaced. A year later I had to do it all over again. At the cost of $400 per van??? I don't think so mad.gif That's when I got in touch with the regional manager and the VP of Dodge....
I received a check covering all pumps 2 months later.
BUT, we're still replacing fuel pumps about every 2 years mad.gif

......b
skline
I heard Dodge recalled over a million trucks. I need to find out the story on that to get the facts. Something about them falling apart going slow or around corners? I wouldnt buy a Dodge or a Ford, I have not had very good luck with anything newer than the late 70's vehicles.
skline
Found the recall information here

Seems the recall is for 2000 to 2003 Dakota and Durangos. The front suspension falls off. 600k trucks. What year was MikeZ's?

The funniest part is Chrysler says its not really a saftey issue. The wheels fall off going slow around corners. I dont know about you, but I never go slow around corners.
rhodyguy
something to do with the upper ball joints failing? honda has a major recall as well. bad oil filter seals that drip oil on the exhaust, torching the vehicle. my neighbors wife drives a durango. it nearly lost a REAR wheel this past year. he was going to dump it but the dealer was going to allow him less than he owed on it for the trade in. sorry for your hassle scott. if your truck only ran as good as it looks. sad.gif

kevin
JB 914
I think your truck secretly desires to be a 914. Thus, it's need to be on jackstands. w00t.gif
boxstr
Scott contact eh factory rep in your area for Chevrolet. Make an appointment and bring your paperwork. Let him know that you want to keep the vehicle, but want it right. Be nice, smile and don't start a rant about lemon law, he already knows all of teh avenues that you as a consumer have at your disposal.
CCLINAUTODEALER
skline
That is some very good advice Craig, I just hope I can deal with it as diplomatic as you put it. I really do like my truck and want to keep it, but I dont want to have to take it into the shop every week. I got the contact information and am going to try it today, otherwise it will be Monday. Thanks Craig.
DJsRepS
Sounds more like a Ford than a Chev. That bites dont even like hearing about a bad Chev or a bad 914.
Engman
Scott contact eh factory rep in your area for Chevrolet. Make an appointment and bring your paperwork. Let him know that you want to keep the vehicle, but want it right. Be nice, smile and don't start a rant about lemon law, he already knows all of teh avenues that you as a consumer have at your disposal.

agree.gif

Usually they want to resove these quickly.

M
scruz914
Scott,

I would be more leary of the truck long term. Sounds like you have a lemon. Once a lemon, always a lemon. If Chevrolet does get everything working right make sure that your warranty gets extended. You don't want to be dealing with lemon issues when you are paying to have them fixed.

Good luck.
-Jeff
boxerboy
When you do meet with the factory rep, being calm is important, I agree, but being organized is just as important. Have all your documents as suggested, but also have copies that you can leave behind. Also create a log or a time line of when things started going wrong and what was done to correct it. A simple one sheet like this can keep you focused and accurate when you are pitching your case to the rep and it shows you mean business.

You also want to indicate your time spent trying to resolve these problems. It sounds like you have been patient through all this, but it's an unnecessary inconvenience and your time is valuable too.

Like any machine, things can and will go wrong and you understand that (after all, you own a 914). From where I'mstanding it looks like you have met them more than half way to correct this. Now it's time for them to stand behind their product and deliver to you the truck you paid for.
xsboost90
you know as much as i rag on fords and chevs, my ford truck has been doing very well. I bought a new 03ranger at the end of the year when the 04's came out. NOw it has 15k on it and no problems to speak of. I do drive it like a porsche when i can.
jwalters
wink.gif Yea, my '02 Dodge 1500 P.O.S. has actually never given me one bit of trouble, and I have 59,000 on it already...Why do I call it a P.O.S.?? "cuase it ain't a 914--------------- beer.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
I was a "Jeep Guy" for a long time. I would buy a new Wrangler Sahara every two years as my daily transport. I bought a 2001 and got a real lemon. It wa sin the shop at least once a month... too much to list here but you get the idea. After driving it for a year (mostly not driving it) I went through hell and back with Diamler Chrysler but got out of it without taking a hit, paid for what I had "used" but didn't pay a dime in repairs or lose anything on it when they "early termed" the loan for me.

Needless to say I am turned off of Jeeps and pretty much Diamler Chrysler as a whole. It really sucks to go through this sort of thing.

The good news is I made my garage queen Boxster into my daily driver and I haven't looked back. The car was meant to be driven and driving it every day rain or shine is a pleasure (no snow here in Phoenix). Pretty low regular maint. cost except for 30, 60, & 90k are about $700 ea.

Get that Boxster and rack-up the miles, you deserve it.
boxstr
Scott Just to give you and maybe others a little boost as far as factory reps are concerned.
When I bought my Boxster it had 16000 miles on the odo. It was a one owner car. It had all of the services up to that point.
I took the car out for a spin a few days after I got the car. Accelerating from a stop light, very bad noises from teh motor and the lights all came on and then nothing. Called a tow truck and had th ecar taken to Stuttgart Autotech, an independent Porsche repair shop. Number 3 valve was bent. I contacted the local dealer, Sunset Porsche. I went out in person and sat down in front of the service manager and asked if they were going to participate in the cost of repairs. NO. I said Okay, will you please contact your local servicerep and ask him to meet with me and I will ask him.
I received a call later in the day, The service manager told me to go buy a lottery ticket, I asked why? He said the factory rep said to have me bring the car inand they would replace the motor for free.
CCLINNADA
jd74914
Slighty OT but, it could be worse. My friend was driving his 1998 dodge ram 1500 and went around a slow turn to hear a loud groan and have the truck buckle. The frame between the bed and cab had cracked on the pass side. ohmy.gif Funny thing is, he bought another dodge headbang.gif

Anyways, bring up the lemon law.
mikester
Scott - sorry to hear about your truck.

I agree with the organized and the calm reccomendations whole heartedly. Seriously - keep calm - talk to someone high up and be polite. If that fails to get you satisfaction - Get a lawyer.

Don't mention the lemon law because you shouldn't have to threaten them to get satisfaction. You gave them money for the truck for that.

I have a good friend who bought a 1999 or so Jaguar convertible that has had the engine replaced 3 times. Apparently they have real problems with those engines and their nikasil plating process or something. They loose the plating in the cylinders and I'm sure you see where this is going. So there were also electical problems with the car and it would constantly enter into limp mode when she stepped on the gas (like on the freeway at speed). It was very unsafe and truely the definition of "lemon."

Jaguar would have nothing to do with her.

She called a lawyer and while it took some time they did end up buying the car back from her.

Be calm but be firm.
Thorshammer
Good suggestions by all.

Being a factory rep for the past 5 years (not with that company) I have met many diiferent types. Many plead their case and I listen, When the tone goes bad or the volume goes up I stop listening. Although the customer is frustrated I am not the whipping boy. I am however the decision maker, so probably best not to make an effort to piss up the rope. My suggestions:

You mention the dealership servicing the unit has been different. Try to pick one and stay with them. Make sure all receipts are kept and notes for each repair are made, when the unit was in when is was out. How many miles are on it when it goes in and comes out. The idea of a lemon (a particular unit that was built and assembled so poorly that the entire unit is junk) is unlikely. What I have seen is an intial problem happens, then the technician disturbs something else, maybe because he is flat rate, he does not disconnect the battery while servicing a component and the ECU receives a nice voltage surge this is much more prevalent that having multiple failures on one vehicle.

Here are the steps:
Make an appointment with the service manager at the dealership
-If you have been a GMC/Chevy customer previously. mention that. I bought 3 new trucks from you/GMC etc..Name dates and what models (remember you have value as a customer for the long term and repeat sales are very important)
-take all receipts
-stay calm
-Use the words "this has not been good customer service", This is tracked at every dealership. You are also better off getting the unit serviced at your selling dealer, remember they want your return sale business and have a vested interest in you returning
-Statements like "I just need the truck repaired properly" will help
-if he mentions anything about not finding the problem or it is very odd, respond with Maybe we should get GM technically involved with this.
-Ask for a demo/loaner and don't forget he should be aware of how much time you have been without the vehicle
-Ask him who he will be having work on it and if he is factory trained/certified, this is very important.

Hopefully the problems will be solved at this point
If Not:

Someone posted to obtain a meeting with the factory rep to discuss the problems. It happens but it is not normal, we usually meet with customers pursuing lemon law, or claiming the vehicle caused an accident, otherwise when Customer service calls us we make phone calls to the dealer to determine the efforts being made, and provide any technical advice needed. The factory rep is there to assist the dealerwith his issues, but not normally to handle this problems the dealer can't when discussing issues with customers

Contact customer service for GMC/Chevy
-Explain you previous buying from them and name dates and models. They have Siebel (computer software) so they may already know, don't embelish.
-explain your purchase
-explain your problems
-stay calm
-explain you feel this type of customer service is unacceptable
-ask what the CS rep has as a solution to your problems and what steps will be in process
-ask when you will be hearing from someone at GMC/Chevy

Write everything down, Time, date, names.

When someone is very well organized, it shows the manufacturer you are not just going to go away.

Do not call the BBB, consumer affairs or the attorney general of your state unless you have contacted the manufacturer and they are/will not assist(ing) you. But:

Go onto their websites and have their numbers written down as well as their procedures on the top of your paperwork when you initially go to the dealership. When the manager is looking at your repair orders he will see you are completely prepared to carry out whatever is neccesary to solve this problem.

lastly, get an attorney! hopefully it will not come to this it is long and difficult process and it will hurt financially.

Lastly:
JD powers does all of the Customer satisfaction for the auto manufacturers. They survey all of their customers normally in the month of February,that have warranty work performed. if the problems still exist then try again.

E

Post Script:
I have been through this a time or two, and once as a consumer, with Dodge.
The dash caught on fire on my 1996 3500 dualie diesel crew cab truck. Smoke damage, reason I was towing a trailer that put too much of a load on the switch.
Recall two months later: changed the switch never cleaned my truck, never reimbursed me for the original switch change.
-Paint peeled off of the left hand side of the truck at 93,000 miles no warranty
-Throttle cable recall after I had a accident when the throttle stuck partially open. Confirmed by a Dodge dealer, cable lubricated and vehicle returned to service. Recall came out 4 months later, my insurance company surcharged me for 5 years, cost about 1800 in surcharge and deductable.
- When cable replaced under recall, technician only did half of the job never test drove the truck and the throttle stuck leaving the parking lot and I crashed into a ditch. 2200 in damage. Changed the linkage and the ball ends like it was supposed to be and the truck performed properly.
-Trailer hitch mount under truck failed on the way across country to Willow Springs. Causing my trailer with the truck mount to disconnect and ended up in a farmers field, No warranty. Insurance covered

I will never buy another Dodge product for the rest of my life. I have purchased two Dualies since then both have been GMC.
Rhodes71/914
This is why I like my Toyota.
Bruce Allert
Nick, you contacted me about the Dodge vans being diesel via the 914club email system thru which I cannot reply cuz it will go into Andy's mail. Send me a PM & then I will be able to reply. In answer to your question, they are not diesel but thanks wavey.gif

....b
Joe Bob
QUOTE(skline @ Dec 11 2004, 07:58 AM)
Found the recall information here

Seems the recall is for 2000 to 2003 Dakota and Durangos. The front suspension falls off. 600k trucks. What year was MikeZ's?

The funniest part is Chrysler says its not really a saftey issue. The wheels fall off going slow around corners. I dont know about you, but I never go slow around corners.

Which truck?
The Dodge is a 2000, the Yukon XL is a 2003....
Joe Bob
BTW....I had a fueling problem with my wife's Yukon. The onboard vapor recovery was screwing up. It was causing the fuel nozzle to click off.

It eventually got so bad, the truck would take NO fuel whatsever....GM customer service intitally denied the truck even HAD onboard vapor recovery and advised me/wife to go to another station.....they eventually had to repalce the whole fuel system inlcuding fuel transfer pumps and tanks.

I spoke calmly, had docs and still got nowhere until similar problems popped up around the country.....then I went to the END of the line to get if fixed.....if I didn't hate FORDs I would change trucks.

I made the mistake of telling them I knew what the problem was I was the local gasoline vapor recovery expert for the County. The onboard VR was a Federal mandate and there was a published prediction that there would be a conflict....I wrote it....

Basically when two systems that SUCK conflict...one gives up. The onboard system won....
drew365
Scott; I have never had to return a lemon vehicle, but from what I have read, your ability to invoke the lemon law is based on the number of days the vehicle is out of service. No matter what is wrong, if a vehicle is out of service for X number of days in a certain time frame, you can request they buy it back. I know that's not what you want, but that will be the magic number that the GM rep will pay attention to, so have it all documented.
MarkV
I have a 02 Toyota Sequoia that has had all kinds of warranty issues. Mostly related to the Vehicle Stability & Traction Control. They had to replace the entire front braking system from backing plates to calipers, new wheel sensors, new Stability Control Computer. It was in the shop every other week for a while. Toyota doesn't stock any parts, so once they figure out what they think is wrong they order parts. The service writer was on the ball & got some things covered even after the warranty ran out. I found a bunch of information on the Toyota Sequoia Forum related to factory TSB's. If you are well informed about the known issues it helps. They like to act like your vehicle is the only one they have seen with problems.

I had several Suburbans before the Toyota & had very few problems with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.