Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Totally bummed out, Highly discouraged
jd74914
post Dec 11 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #21

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Slighty OT but, it could be worse. My friend was driving his 1998 dodge ram 1500 and went around a slow turn to hear a loud groan and have the truck buckle. The frame between the bed and cab had cracked on the pass side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Funny thing is, he bought another dodge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Anyways, bring up the lemon law.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mikester
post Dec 11 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 837

Scott - sorry to hear about your truck.

I agree with the organized and the calm reccomendations whole heartedly. Seriously - keep calm - talk to someone high up and be polite. If that fails to get you satisfaction - Get a lawyer.

Don't mention the lemon law because you shouldn't have to threaten them to get satisfaction. You gave them money for the truck for that.

I have a good friend who bought a 1999 or so Jaguar convertible that has had the engine replaced 3 times. Apparently they have real problems with those engines and their nikasil plating process or something. They loose the plating in the cylinders and I'm sure you see where this is going. So there were also electical problems with the car and it would constantly enter into limp mode when she stepped on the gas (like on the freeway at speed). It was very unsafe and truely the definition of "lemon."

Jaguar would have nothing to do with her.

She called a lawyer and while it took some time they did end up buying the car back from her.

Be calm but be firm.
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Dec 13 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,335

Good suggestions by all.

Being a factory rep for the past 5 years (not with that company) I have met many diiferent types. Many plead their case and I listen, When the tone goes bad or the volume goes up I stop listening. Although the customer is frustrated I am not the whipping boy. I am however the decision maker, so probably best not to make an effort to piss up the rope. My suggestions:

You mention the dealership servicing the unit has been different. Try to pick one and stay with them. Make sure all receipts are kept and notes for each repair are made, when the unit was in when is was out. How many miles are on it when it goes in and comes out. The idea of a lemon (a particular unit that was built and assembled so poorly that the entire unit is junk) is unlikely. What I have seen is an intial problem happens, then the technician disturbs something else, maybe because he is flat rate, he does not disconnect the battery while servicing a component and the ECU receives a nice voltage surge this is much more prevalent that having multiple failures on one vehicle.

Here are the steps:
Make an appointment with the service manager at the dealership
-If you have been a GMC/Chevy customer previously. mention that. I bought 3 new trucks from you/GMC etc..Name dates and what models (remember you have value as a customer for the long term and repeat sales are very important)
-take all receipts
-stay calm
-Use the words "this has not been good customer service", This is tracked at every dealership. You are also better off getting the unit serviced at your selling dealer, remember they want your return sale business and have a vested interest in you returning
-Statements like "I just need the truck repaired properly" will help
-if he mentions anything about not finding the problem or it is very odd, respond with Maybe we should get GM technically involved with this.
-Ask for a demo/loaner and don't forget he should be aware of how much time you have been without the vehicle
-Ask him who he will be having work on it and if he is factory trained/certified, this is very important.

Hopefully the problems will be solved at this point
If Not:

Someone posted to obtain a meeting with the factory rep to discuss the problems. It happens but it is not normal, we usually meet with customers pursuing lemon law, or claiming the vehicle caused an accident, otherwise when Customer service calls us we make phone calls to the dealer to determine the efforts being made, and provide any technical advice needed. The factory rep is there to assist the dealerwith his issues, but not normally to handle this problems the dealer can't when discussing issues with customers

Contact customer service for GMC/Chevy
-Explain you previous buying from them and name dates and models. They have Siebel (computer software) so they may already know, don't embelish.
-explain your purchase
-explain your problems
-stay calm
-explain you feel this type of customer service is unacceptable
-ask what the CS rep has as a solution to your problems and what steps will be in process
-ask when you will be hearing from someone at GMC/Chevy

Write everything down, Time, date, names.

When someone is very well organized, it shows the manufacturer you are not just going to go away.

Do not call the BBB, consumer affairs or the attorney general of your state unless you have contacted the manufacturer and they are/will not assist(ing) you. But:

Go onto their websites and have their numbers written down as well as their procedures on the top of your paperwork when you initially go to the dealership. When the manager is looking at your repair orders he will see you are completely prepared to carry out whatever is neccesary to solve this problem.

lastly, get an attorney! hopefully it will not come to this it is long and difficult process and it will hurt financially.

Lastly:
JD powers does all of the Customer satisfaction for the auto manufacturers. They survey all of their customers normally in the month of February,that have warranty work performed. if the problems still exist then try again.

E

Post Script:
I have been through this a time or two, and once as a consumer, with Dodge.
The dash caught on fire on my 1996 3500 dualie diesel crew cab truck. Smoke damage, reason I was towing a trailer that put too much of a load on the switch.
Recall two months later: changed the switch never cleaned my truck, never reimbursed me for the original switch change.
-Paint peeled off of the left hand side of the truck at 93,000 miles no warranty
-Throttle cable recall after I had a accident when the throttle stuck partially open. Confirmed by a Dodge dealer, cable lubricated and vehicle returned to service. Recall came out 4 months later, my insurance company surcharged me for 5 years, cost about 1800 in surcharge and deductable.
- When cable replaced under recall, technician only did half of the job never test drove the truck and the throttle stuck leaving the parking lot and I crashed into a ditch. 2200 in damage. Changed the linkage and the ball ends like it was supposed to be and the truck performed properly.
-Trailer hitch mount under truck failed on the way across country to Willow Springs. Causing my trailer with the truck mount to disconnect and ended up in a farmers field, No warranty. Insurance covered

I will never buy another Dodge product for the rest of my life. I have purchased two Dualies since then both have been GMC.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Dec 13 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #24

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

This is why I like my Toyota.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 13 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #25

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nick, you contacted me about the Dodge vans being diesel via the 914club email system thru which I cannot reply cuz it will go into Andy's mail. Send me a PM & then I will be able to reply. In answer to your question, they are not diesel but thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

....b
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 13 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #26

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

QUOTE(skline @ Dec 11 2004, 07:58 AM)
Found the recall information here

Seems the recall is for 2000 to 2003 Dakota and Durangos. The front suspension falls off. 600k trucks. What year was MikeZ's?

The funniest part is Chrysler says its not really a saftey issue. The wheels fall off going slow around corners. I dont know about you, but I never go slow around corners.

Which truck?
The Dodge is a 2000, the Yukon XL is a 2003....
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 13 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #27

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

BTW....I had a fueling problem with my wife's Yukon. The onboard vapor recovery was screwing up. It was causing the fuel nozzle to click off.

It eventually got so bad, the truck would take NO fuel whatsever....GM customer service intitally denied the truck even HAD onboard vapor recovery and advised me/wife to go to another station.....they eventually had to repalce the whole fuel system inlcuding fuel transfer pumps and tanks.

I spoke calmly, had docs and still got nowhere until similar problems popped up around the country.....then I went to the END of the line to get if fixed.....if I didn't hate FORDs I would change trucks.

I made the mistake of telling them I knew what the problem was I was the local gasoline vapor recovery expert for the County. The onboard VR was a Federal mandate and there was a published prediction that there would be a conflict....I wrote it....

Basically when two systems that SUCK conflict...one gives up. The onboard system won....
+Quote Post
drew365
post Dec 13 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #28

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Scott; I have never had to return a lemon vehicle, but from what I have read, your ability to invoke the lemon law is based on the number of days the vehicle is out of service. No matter what is wrong, if a vehicle is out of service for X number of days in a certain time frame, you can request they buy it back. I know that's not what you want, but that will be the magic number that the GM rep will pay attention to, so have it all documented.
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Dec 13 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #29

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

I have a 02 Toyota Sequoia that has had all kinds of warranty issues. Mostly related to the Vehicle Stability & Traction Control. They had to replace the entire front braking system from backing plates to calipers, new wheel sensors, new Stability Control Computer. It was in the shop every other week for a while. Toyota doesn't stock any parts, so once they figure out what they think is wrong they order parts. The service writer was on the ball & got some things covered even after the warranty ran out. I found a bunch of information on the Toyota Sequoia Forum related to factory TSB's. If you are well informed about the known issues it helps. They like to act like your vehicle is the only one they have seen with problems.

I had several Suburbans before the Toyota & had very few problems with them.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:53 AM