Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dealings with Aircooled.net, Any opinions??
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Has anybody here gotten the 1.8 L pistons and cylinders from aircooled???

Has anybody had any adverse reactions with aircooled??

Does anybody have a set of new or really good 1.8 P&C kits - or - A set of 96's just lying around waiting to be sold???

Getten parts for my engine is killing me--its the last thing I gotta do---military pay, while I am not complaining--is not great.......

I need good engine stuff--I can barely pay for the heads right now, could anybody help me out? Maybe somebody who bought a bunch of stuff and then changed their minds to going to nickies and the like......

Thanks in advance for any help--and if you are ever in the Miami area, look me up--I am a mechanic on the CG Falcon jets, and I could get you a VIP flight in the airframe of your choice: Falcon jet or 65 dolphin helicopter that the Coast Guard uses.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 11 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I've always had very good dealings with them.

PS. I lived in Davie for awhile. Are you stationed at the Opa Locka airport?

South Florida is like no where else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 11 2004, 01:50 PM)
I've always had very good dealings with them.

PS. I lived in Davie for awhile. Are you stationed at the Opa Locka airport?

South Florida is like no where else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Paul

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Yea man--Opa Locka--and I live in Davie---SMALL world!!

I love it down here--nowhere else on the planet is there a more dense conglomerate of freaks to watch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yea, it is good.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 11 2004, 03:56 PM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

A whole lota drugs flew into that airport in the '70-'80's.
Paid for a lot of Porsches.

Paul
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 11 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Since when can Coasties get VIP flights for strangers? I was stationed at San Francisco working on the 65s untill 2000, and we never had that oppertunity. I wish. Are you flight mech qualified yet? Whats your rate? I wonder if you are stationed with anyone that I went to A-school with. I was incharge of the hobby shop in SFO also (more like a garage for my first teener). Hows the hobby garage where you are?
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 11 2004, 01:59 PM)
Since when can Coasties get VIP flights for strangers? I was stationed at San Francisco working on the 65s untill 2000, and we never had that oppertunity. I wish. Are you flight mech qualified yet? Whats your rate? I wonder if you are stationed with anyone that I went to A-school with. I was incharge of the hobby shop in SFO also (more like a garage for my first teener). Hows the hobby garage where you are?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Hey bud! Yea man the command is real good about stuff like that--it would of course have to be a non-opertional mission--R/T mins--it is not done often--takes a special request to go thru. I am an AMT2 on the falcons--I jumped ship from the navy years back, wish I knew about the guard befored I joined that branch. I love being a landlubber!!!! Give me some names of your a school chums and I'll let you know if I know any of em.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 11 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I've bought a few things from them, decent prices and good support....

too bad you don't have a 2.0, I'm going to have a set of flat top euro spec 2.0 pistons and cylinders for sale pretty soon...they are the cheap asian import units, but they work fine...3 p/cs have a few hundred miles on them, 1 p/c set has 0 miles on it.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #8

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 11 2004, 02:31 PM)
I've bought a few things from them, decent prices and good support....

too bad you don't have a 2.0, I'm going to have a set of flat top euro spec 2.0 pistons and cylinders for sale pretty soon...they are the cheap asian import units, but they work fine...3 p/cs have a few hundred miles on them, 1 p/c set has 0 miles on it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Dammit---that is what ALL the parts houses are telling me also... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 11 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

there was someone selling 2.0 rods and a 2.0 crank in the classifieds pretty cheap...you don't "have" to have the 2.0 head, you can use your 1.8 heads
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 11 2004, 02:47 PM)
there was someone selling 2.0 rods and a 2.0 crank in the classifieds pretty cheap...you don't "have" to have the 2.0 head, you can use your 1.8 heads

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Yea, that was probably me--the crank needs repair--the rods need re-building--I have only so much $$$$ And to boot, my 66 mm crank and rods are in perfect condition, miced them out and perfectly round and to vw spec--so I am trying to use waht I already have that is good.

It just sucks that VW p/c sets for this motor are 400% as costly as that "other" vw motor--- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
carambola
post Dec 11 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,007

just a heads up ... it's cold and rainy in cape may
+Quote Post
anthony
post Dec 11 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #12

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Since you have a 1.8, why don't you have your cylinders honed to 96mm and then get some nice Keith Black pistons? That would put you at 1911cc, probably cost less than a new P&C set and the resulting quality should be higher if you get someone good to hone the cylinders and fit the pistons. (I think Jake Raby or Rimco will do this kind of thing for you.)
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Dec 11 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #13

UPS truck is here...

Member No.: 2,198

Within 4 to 5 months, I am upgrading my engine with Nickies. Installed in my engine is a set of European p&c for the 2 liter displacement. I wouldn't know what to do with them, so if you are interested make me an offer. The aircraft ride sounds great too...I am an Aerospace Engineer who used to work in the F-16 factory in Texas.

The engine has less than 10K miles since I installed the p&c set, they were installed in my engine in '94.

My car is in the Miami area, and although I live outside of the country, I visit my car every two to three months.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #14

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 11 2004, 03:11 PM)
Since you have a 1.8, why don't you have your cylinders honed to 96mm and then get some nice Keith Black pistons? That would put you at 1911cc, probably cost less than a new P&C set and the resulting quality should be higher if you get someone good to hone the cylinders and fit the pistons. (I think Jake Raby or Rimco will do this kind of thing for you.)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) yea thanks, I am going to check in on that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #15

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Dec 11 2004, 03:15 PM)
Within 4 to 5 months, I am upgrading my engine with Nickies. Installed in my engine is a set of European p&c for the 2 liter displacement. I wouldn't know what to do with them, so if you are interested make me an offer. The aircraft ride sounds great too...I am an Aerospace Engineer who used to work in the F-16 factory in Texas.

The engine has less than 10K miles since I installed the p&c set, they were installed in my engine in '94.

My car is in the Miami area, and although I live outside of the country, I visit my car every two to three months.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Man that is VERY nice of you!! But alas, I have the small crank..........
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Dec 11 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 640

John, at aircooled.net has a really good reputation for taking care of his customers.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 11 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #17

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(John Kelly @ Dec 11 2004, 03:31 PM)
John, at aircooled.net has a really good reputation for taking care of his customers.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 11 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sounds like the Cape May I remember. I went to boot camp from Aug to Oct. Very rainy.

Jwalters, ask anyone in the tweek (AVT) shop if they knew a guy named Lesniak (lez-nee-ak). I was in when they switched all of the ratings (was an AT).

Hijack over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Dec 11 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #19

UPS truck is here...

Member No.: 2,198

Man that is VERY nice of you!! But alas, I have the small crank..........

Thanks, just trying to help..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Since I am going 102mm Nickies, rods and crank may have to go also. I still do not know all the details of the new engine...keep in touch and we may work out something good.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Dec 11 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,533

It was Bondo that was selling the crank, p's and c's. 3 cylinders are OEM, 1 is ???.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...21219&hl=engine

I don't think there is a difference between 1.8 and 2.0 cylinders other than 93mm vs 94mm bore. Take rickyhgarcia up on the offer. If he sends the entire motor to Jake, Jake could pull the cylinders, bore them and send them to you (gosh I'm generous with other people's time). Better than shipping 40-60 lbs from California.

Regardless of crank, I'd bore the cylinders out to 96mm and get the KBs from AC.net.

(I just can't bring myself to throw in gratuitous exclamation points!!!)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:38 PM